Elvas Tower: 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 80 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#621 User is offline   PTrains87 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:48 PM

Hello, I need some advice regarding this feature! Is there any guide or a useful thread that explain how to create a 3D cab from basics?
I use Blender to make 3D (now only static) but I wish to start to create something like this for some rolling stocks that have only 2D cabs.

Thanks

#622 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:55 PM

The Manual.pdf of ORTS

#623 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:06 PM

Have a look at my other topic, Steam 3d cab, it shows progress from the start.

http://www.elvastowe...163#entry257163

Geoff

#624 User is offline   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:26 AM

Hello!

I have a little problem with another 3D cab I'm doing. Maybe it's already been solved, but I've been able to find it.

The color of the digits of the digital display that shows the speed (SPEEDOMETER:0 in 3d), in the 2D cabin changes from a certain speed.

In the 3D booth, even if I change the settings in the .cvf file, when that speed is reached, the digits disappear and when I brake and reach the speed change, they reappear.

I have the file speed.ace in the CABVIEW3D folder and as I said, it works fine (up to the color change speed).

What is the name of the texture to represent this? speedlim.ace is not.

Thank you!

#625 User is offline   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:13 PM

View Postsuperheatedsteam, on 07 November 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

I have just found the following that may help others.

The AMMETER DIGITAL gauge allows you to change the colour of the display when the amps exceed a certain value (defined by SwitchVal). This works fine in the 2D cab but in the 3D cab, when the 'SwitchVal' value was exceeded, I had a rectangular grey 'box' appear instead of the numerals.

As the colour of these numerals is controlled by the colour of the speed.ace file I guessed that OR was looking for another ace file with that used a different colour.

The OpenRailsLog.txt file provided the clue. OR was looking for a file called alert.ace, could not find it and reverted to using 'default'.

I made a copy of speed.ace, changed the colour of it to be red instead of white and saved the file as alert.ace into the CABVIEW3D.

Now when the amps increased and exceeded the SwitchVal value, the numerals changed colour to that of the alert.ace and revert back to the colour of speed.ace when below the SwithVal value.

Hope this helps someone else. Maybe it should be added to the manual for reference?

Cheers,

Marek.

Thank you very much!

It has taken me days to find the solution.

I wonder why these things are still not discussed in the Handbook...

#626 User is offline   Amtrak777 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:44 PM

Hello guys. So I'm needing some help trying to figure out how I can do this dotted speedo as gauge. Each light lights up each miles per hour. I already got the digital speedo part working just looking to get the dots part to function.
https://i.gyazo.com/66261b5380ddba0efedde33003f18975.png

#627 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:01 PM

I say borrow a page from the Banjo-Kazooie playbook and make the "lights" on the panel semi-transparent areas that provide colour information, then:

a. Have a full-bright semi-circle shape behind the panel that adds white light and rotates as if it were a conventional speedometer. To avoid a sharp edge as this passes from light to light, you would need to have the far edge of this part black, faded to white. This has the caveat of making the lights appear to "fade."

b. Was this gauge style possible with the conventional MSTS setup? I can't remember. If it was, you could place an equivalent gauge behind it with the frames of animation set up to backlight the semi-transparent areas progressively more as speed increases.

#628 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:34 PM

View PostErickC, on 17 October 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

b. Was this gauge style possible with the conventional MSTS setup? I can't remember. If it was, you could place an equivalent gauge behind it with the frames of animation set up to backlight the semi-transparent areas progressively more as speed increases.

Yes, it is possible to have that style of speedo in a 2D Cab. The MLT Analog C44-9W cabs have it, as do their SLI/TS counterparts. The 3DTrains F59PHI has it too if I remember correctly. Some freeware cabs have it too methinks.

#629 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:45 PM

View PostSD45T-2, on 17 October 2020 - 07:34 PM, said:

Yes, it is possible to have that style of speedo in a 2D Cab. One cab that I can think of offhand that has it is the MLT analog C44-9W cab. The 3DTrains F59PHI has it too if I remember correctly.

Ah, so you could easily set up a gauge to backlight the panel, then. That would look pretty convincing.

#630 User is offline   Amtrak777 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:12 PM

Yeah I'm trying to mimic the 3d trains Surfliner cabs this is a surfliner cab car 3d cab that I've been working on for about a week now its just trying to set up the speedo I already have a transparent background and everything set up texture wise its just setting up the guage and getting it working mostly with setting it up in blender. The speedo is set up like this in irl.
https://i.gyazo.com/e5b95f90174dbfe1ba74dc433b7d787a.png

• 80 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users