Elvas Tower: 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 80 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Starting from release 2139 OR has a first release of 3D cab management, developed by JTang.
A bit more about this can be read on SVN, where also the link to a trainset with a 3D cab can be found.
This feature is finding great interest in my country. I tested it and had a quite positive feeling. The biggest drawback I found up to now is that view in superelevated curves seems not to be optimal.
Thanks JTang!

#2 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

In Spain Trainz Rutas there is a model of the RENFE 311 with 3D, photorealistic cabin.

http://www.spaintrai...ex.php?dlid=721

Only needs to animate the controls.

And does not need any special .cabs

Cheers.

RTP

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Thanks RTP. I assume the extension .cabs instead of .s is needed for ORTS to recognize it as a 3D cab and to connect animations with train operation, which was not possible until yesterday.

#4 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Is there a guide to the naming conventions and animation requirements for the controls? I'd love to do a standard EMD type cab...

Robert

#5 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

View PostRTP, on 05 April 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

In Spain Trainz Rutas there is a model of the RENFE 311 with 3D, photorealistic cabin. Only needs to animate the controls. And does not need any special .cabs

As I see the code, it wouldn't be a big work to read the anim nodes from the main model. Just a decision is needed how we want to proceed. IMHO would be good to do it the same way as other train sims. How it is done in Railworks?

Great work, Jijun!

#6 User is offline   JTang 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

This code is far from mature, thus please use it at your own risk, as things will be changed.
The key to evoke is changed to "Alt-1" as it is a convention to use "Alt" or "Ctrl" for experimental features.

Rules:
1. It must work with its corresponding .cvf file
2. Instruments are named with the same convention, i.e., FRONT_HLIGHT, SPEEDOMETER, etc
3. A cab can have multiple instances of the same instruments, for example multiple clocks, speedometers
4. Instruments are first sorted based on their appearance in the .cvf file, for example SPEEDOMETER:0 corresponds to the first speedometer in the .cvf file, SPEEDOMETER:1 corresponds to the second one
5. An instrument can have multiple subgroups to make the animation realistic, for example, TRAIN_BRAKE:0:0 and TRAIN_BRAKE:0:1 belong to the instrument TRAIN_BRAKE:0;
6. However, if the instrument is a digital device, the second number will be used to indicate the font size used, for example SPEEDOMETER:1:14 means the second speedometer (which is digital as defined in .cvf) will be rendered with 14pt font. This may be changed later after we figure out the best way to render 3D text. The important information for a digital device is its location, thus it can be defined as an object with a small single face in the 3D model.
7. Animation ranges should also be in agreement with the .cvf file

#7 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 05 April 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

where also the link to a trainset with a 3D cab can be found.

Excuse me, but where can I get the link to the unit? I can't see it on the SVN. :pardon:

Cheers

#8 User is offline   strawberryfield 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OpenRails, Rail3D

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

http://www.tsimserve.../Df11G3DCab.zip

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Jijun, thank you for the rules. I really hope that someone will experiment developing 3Dcabs, maybe starting from existing 3D trainset projects.

Another requirement that was found out by an Italian trainsimmer is that the 3D cab must be defined in the .eng file with a block like the following:
	Inside (
            PassengerCabinFile ( Cab.cabs )
            PassengerCabinHeadPos ( -0.9 2.4 5.2 )
            RotationLimit ( 40 60 0 )
            StartDirection ( 12 0 0 )
 	    Sound ("DF11Geng.sms" )
	)

For the sake of cleanliness I would suggest that all 3Dcab related files reside in a specific subfolder, that could be called 3DCABVIEW or ORTS3DCABVIEW, or even better within subfolder openrails\ORTS3DCABVIEW. openrails subfolder is already used to host ORTS-customized .eng and .wag files ( see here http://www.elvastowe...msts-behaviour/ )

#10 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

View Postgpz, on 06 April 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

As I see the code, it wouldn't be a big work to read the anim nodes from the main model. Just a decision is needed how we want to proceed. IMHO would be good to do it the same way as other train sims. How it is done in Railworks?

Great work, Jijun!

In railworks, the cab view has different model in own file. That's why in cab view, the driven locomotive's outside model is not drawn.

• 80 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users