Fictional Railroads Getting creative Rate Topic: -----

#921 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

Suggestion:

Attached Image: suggestion.JPG

The yellow cab front will look more consistent with the widecabs.

#922 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

California Pacific looking fresh as ever, Brody! I love the new SP style lettering. It really brings out that long hood and echoes the company's roots. Plus, with a name like California Pacific, it has to be done. I didn't expect to see Pennsylvania Interstate in this thread. That's a throwback!

I've been doing too much thinking and research to actually run anything, so have an old screenshot.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2017-01-03 07-23-34.jpg

#923 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

View PostErickC, on 16 January 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

Suggestion:

Attachment suggestion.JPG

The yellow cab front will look more consistent with the widecabs.

That's exactly what I've been struggling with! I've tossed out that idea due to having great difficulty with making it work. Thank you sir. Also, thank you for letting use freely use parts from your GP38-2 model. (The handbrake comes from it.)

#924 User is offline   bwyrick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

Thanks, Dustin! I was looking threw some old files, and decided that the Pennsylvania Interstate deserved some sort of a revival. Alas, that's the only engine I have painted for it at the moment. XD

Also, the new speed lettering version of the CPAC scheme will become more and more prevalent, but only locomotives with safety cabs will wear it. Spartan cab equipped engines will keep their BC Rail style font on the long hood.

#925 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:24 PM

Well, it's slowed quite a bit here.

But, I finally got DMMC 2000/2001 to a point where I just can focus on paint.

Attached Image: SFCAN160.jpg

I'll give the lightning stripe a look over the weekend. The FA drove me a bit nuts.

#926 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

Well, 2000 is finished, and I quite like this lightning stripe paint I've come up. It's a similar vibe to C&NW GE Widecabs.

Attached Image: SFCAN165.jpg

Just wondering, why don't you guys grime up your power more?

Edit - And a little teaser. Subject to change.

Attached Image: Falcon Service.jpg

#927 User is offline   bwyrick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

I'm starting to more and more now, but in the past it was just because I have such a massive roster, and didn't feel like weathering each individual unit, so I had all engines of a single class share a long hood texture to save time and space on my system. And our reserve of NashWash ran out. (Dustin should get that reference :lol2: )

#928 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

View PostSD45T-2, on 08 February 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Just wondering, why don't you guys grime up your power more?

I wondered the same thing a few years ago. And by wondered, I meant excessively complained about it in screenshot threads. Yikes.

View Postbwyrick, on 09 February 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

I'm starting to more and more now, but in the past it was just because I have such a massive roster, and didn't feel like weathering each individual unit, so I had all engines of a single class share a long hood texture to save time and space on my system. And our reserve of NashWash ran out. (Dustin should get that reference :lol2: )

Oh yeah, can't forget about that NashWash. How else are you going to keep an entire train squeaky clean for those promotional photos? Speaking of which, I always had the idea of a 1950's-style NashWash promotional video.

#929 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostMipman25, on 09 February 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

I wondered the same thing a few years ago. And by wondered, I meant excessively complained about it in screenshot threads. Yikes.

Admittedly, your comments were still valid. Even in real railroad promotional media, the power isn't spotless, which honestly makes clean power even weirder if you think about it. (Except for freshly shopped units.) But I will admit, weathering is a difficult art to make look convincing.

If anyone needs help, please call. I'll try to answer.

View PostMipman25, on 09 February 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Oh yeah, can't forget about that NashWash. How else are you going to keep an entire train squeaky clean for those promotional photos? Speaking of which, I always had the idea of a 1950's-style NashWash promotional video.

If you ever do a NashWash tanker again, may I suggest suggest you put this on it? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/derisive.gif

"Not to be moved via the Des Moines and Mason City Railway." (Yes, I'm planning to weather each DMMC locomotive I make, to various degrees. "Power being washed ain't haulin'.")

Attached Image: Open Rails 2019-02-09 10-38-23.jpg

And on that note, here's the final-ish version of 2000, with more grime added. The other unit in the GP38-2 pair will come soon.

#930 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:20 PM

View PostSD45T-2, on 09 February 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

Admittedly, your comments were still valid. Even in real railroad promotional media, the power isn't spotless, which honestly makes clean power even weirder if you think about it. (Except for freshly shopped units.) But I will admit, weathering is a difficult art to make look convincing.

Even today, I still agree with that. However, those comments kinda stop being valid and just straight-up annoying the thirteen thousandth time around.

View PostSD45T-2, on 09 February 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

If you ever do a NashWash tanker again, may I suggest suggest you put this on it? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/derisive.gif

"Not to be moved via the Des Moines and Mason City Railway." (Yes, I'm planning to weather each DMMC locomotive I make, to various degrees. "Power being washed ain't haulin'.")

I remember you wanted F-units on the DMMC? Keep the Nash-Wash for those. As hard-working as a grubby locomotive is, those old covered wagons just wouldn't look right covered in soot. I still want to see a DMMC business train with those F-units.

Oh right, the screenshots! Kinda hard to post new and refreshing content when I haven't touched OR in months. If I actually spent time repainting instead of coming up with crazy and outlandish ideas, then I'd have a boatload of new screenshots to share. A CP&A Heavy Mike lugs a low-priority manifest along the Allegheny Division in western Pennsylvania. This train is headed south to Pittsburgh, and quite a few of the boxcars came from carfloats at Erie.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: CP&A 782.jpg

• 101 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users