MEP - Testing Activities Testers needed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hi,

I've started working through the 120 activities in the Mid East Plus distribution. They're all tested on MSTS but not on OR, so they need checking.

Where there are issues, these might identify a problem with OR or they might be fixed by a change to the model.

I expect many of you are giving this tremendous UK-based route a trial. If you find anything amiss, would you mind adding a note to my public spreadsheet here? And if you find no problems with an activity, then mark it as "suitable for OR".

It would be a good idea to keep more detailed notes privately, so we can follow up these issues later on (about a month from now).

Thanks,

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 19 March 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

If you find anything amiss, would you mind adding a note to my public spreadsheet here? And if you find no problems with an activity, then mark it as "suitable for OR".

Thanks to Steve Rhodes for checking 6 more of the activities and finding a few problems.

#3 User is offline   charliechan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR & RS2015

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Good Morning:

I have run about half of the activities and the only problems that I have had are with units that have a transmission. Could not figure out how to this thing out of second gear. Its a great route and I have had a great time running.

#4 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi Charlie,

View Postcharliechan, on 23 March 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

I have run about half of the activities and the only problems that I have had are with units that have a transmission. Could not figure out how to this thing out of second gear. Its a great route and I have had a great time running.

Thanks for adding your comment to the Kings Cross ECS activity.

Would you please mark the activities that were successful in your tests as "suitable for OR", so your work is not wasted.

Thanks,

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Chris

Any activity that uses a player DMU with a manual gearbox will not work because of the way the physics have been set up. Same applies to small shunters that have a gearbox.

#6 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 23 March 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Any activity that uses a player DMU with a manual gearbox will not work because of the way the physics have been set up. Same applies to small shunters that have a gearbox.

This is where I first saw these strange eng file parameters proposed First Generation DMUs. I must admit they work well in MSTS!
This is a clear instance of should OR emulate MSTS foibles? Since these DMUs are fairly niche interest I think it's better that that their eng files are reworked to provide more logical values for OR. I have done this quite extensively for running Mid East Plus activities in OR. The reworked eng files do work in MSTS but not as realistically as the originals.

Dennis

#7 User is offline   jonInMaine 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:42 AM

Sorry to resurrect a 4 year old thread, but did anyone work out what changes to the .eng file were needed to make DMUs and other manual transmissioned engines work correctly with OR? I have looked around over at UKtrainsim but could not find any specifics there.

#8 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostjonInMaine, on 12 April 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

Sorry to resurrect a 4 year old thread, but did anyone work out what changes to the .eng file were needed to make DMUs and other manual transmissioned engines work correctly with OR? I have looked around over at UKtrainsim but could not find any specifics there.

Attached are my versions of the eng files for a couple of the DMU types.

Attached File  MEP-Cravens105.zip (7.75K)
Number of downloads: 312
Attached File  MEP-108-Blue.zip (8.36K)
Number of downloads: 276

I make no claims to them being "right" or representative of the performance of the real vehicles but they run reasonably well on my system. They also still run OK, but probably not realistically, in MSTS.

The power / force figures can be scaled to modify other types of DMU.

Beware that a lot of these sets have one motor car with only a tiny installed power while the car at the other end has all the installed power of the full DMU set. I believe, and I'm probably wrong, that this is because they were created in pre BIN patch MSTS and swapping driving ends was not possible. The creator of the models therefore just put in one eng file at the front of the unit for simplicity. When swapping ends became possible with the BIN patch, the units were modified to change the trailing car from a wag to an eng with minimum power so that the original eng file didn't need modifying.

Hope they're a help
Dennis

#9 User is offline   jonInMaine 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

Perfect. I will check those files out. Especially the 105 as that is the DMU I am trying to run in my activity.
Thanks
Jon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users