• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

At The Railyard: Thousand Islands Railway Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#11 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

I think the best route I've drawn is the Springfield Terminal, six miles, steep grades, and light power.

Paul :-)

#12 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

If the TIR got such a great rating with Nick, what will the Springfield Terminal get? 101%? :sign_sorry:

#13 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

Oddly enough the file for the Thousand Islands Railway route is still missing from the download section and when I try to use the ling provided by Nick that once worked I get this error message saying I need permission to view the page:

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr160/paul_charland/ET_Error_zpsde7a9fab.jpg

Anyone interested in the TIR can download it from Trainsim.con with no problems.

#14 User is offline   sawyer811 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Trainz/MSTS

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Awesome little railway, this. Oddly enough I remember hearing about it first in one of the old Model Railroader back issues my grandpa gave me: there was an article in one of them about scratchbuilding the line's homemade No. 500, built on an interurban chassis like Nick said in the video. The amazing thing for me was the fact that the little engine still survives: stuffed and mounted in Ganonoque, on what appears (from google earth) to be a section of the original mainline.

#15 User is offline   Train-a-Mania 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

View PostNoisemaker, on 11 March 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

And the other big question - did you do the review in OR or MSTS? It's so smooth in your clips, where I still get a good FPS drag in the warehouse area.

This was all filmed in MSTS. In Open Rails, there is a bug where the water flickers from blue to brown as you move.

#16 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Interesting. Because of your review, I went back and fired up the TIR again. And it's running a lot smoother for me as well now too. Not sure what I did in the interim, maybe a Windows update improved things?
And funny that it has the problem in OR, as I figured a route like this would be greatly enhanced with it. But is still a testament to MSTS. Not sure if I released the upgrade sounds for the TIR #500 here and/or TS? But I really should revisit that and do a lot of tiding up if so. Just need to find a good Cummins motor to work with. :lol2:

#17 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

I believe you did release an upgrade for the 500 on TrainSim.

#18 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

Jackie McNeil drew plans for 500 and had them converted to a negative to be used for etching brass sheet to make a kit for an HO model... the article was in MR and about a month or two later the plans for 7206, one of the combines used in the last few years, appeared in RMC.

%00 is preserved on the last 30 feet of mainline at King Street in Gan and 77 is preserved in Delson, Que.

If Nick did a review of the Springfield Terminal I'm afraid he would become addicted to Traction and that would be the end of it for normal railroad reviews!

#19 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

Heck Paul, you already made Nick take an actual vacation based on one of your routes. I'd say traction is just around the corner for him! :lol2:

Got the 125HP Cummins motor now. But think I may do a complete SMS overhaul for the 500. Think it was mainly based on the 35 tonner sound I put up here awhile back. Studying up more on this little 500 beast, it's pretty different. Time to put on my DJ hat and remix this thing! :rotfl:

#20 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hi Steve,

yes, that's where I got the sound files from, you did a 35 tonner set just after I put out the Fundy Gypsum unit and it was different enough from a 44 tonner sound I used it. Can't say I remember any sounds out of 500 when I last saw it sitting in the park!

I'm costing Nick money. He went and got addicted to the FJ&G and has started building it in HO!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users