• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Manual gearbox observations. Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

There is no time period for switching the gears. Maybe this is the problem for low gears, where the change of the speed is too fast and the auto-switching conditions change right before the situation stabilizes. I suppose you would be OK with 1 second delay for switching gears. Let's say the default value would be 1 second, while you'd be able to set it to zero. I'm dived into some commercial business right now, but I think I'll be able to try it this week.

PS: I have this BZMOT car as the original 810 (M152.0) engine, so I can try it. I can also test it whether it is FPS-dependent or not.

Cheers,

Matej

#32 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

I have been running some tests with the gearbox data that disc posted. The cause of the fluctuation between gear 1 and gear 2 is setting the speed for gear 1 too low. I changed the first three gears to give a better spread to GearBoxMaxSpeedForGears( 13 25 39 57 ), originally GearBoxMaxSpeedForGears( 3 20 36 57 ). It was probably not needed to change the speed for gear 2 and 3, but essential for gear 1.

#33 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

During my high school days, I tried to drive this engine in real world several times (a part of practical education). I've learned that the gear no.2 is used only if there is a very high elevation or/and high train load. In fact, the gear no.1 and 2 has the same gear ratio (no.3 and 4 as well), but the gear 1 uses hydrodynamic clutch (the same does gear no. 3). Gears no. 2 and 4 are direct, thus used for long term operation. The starting procedure for gears is 1 - 3 - 4 (in real world marked as 1 - 2 - 2B). If there is a very high elevation to climb, 1 - 2 is used (1 - 1B). MSTS and ORTS are not ready for this. There are of DirectGear, Hydraulic and more parameters in MSTS. If you have some ideas how they work, please let me know. I'd like to see differences in the gearbox behavior, but if we use MSTS parameters, the behavior should be the same as in MSTS.
Thanks,
Matej

#34 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

View PostMatej Pacha, on 24 February 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

During my high school days, I tried to drive this engine in real world several times (a part of practical education). I've learned that the gear no.2 is used only if there is a very high elevation or/and high train load. In fact, the gear no.1 and 2 has the same gear ratio (no.3 and 4 as well), but the gear 1 uses hydrodynamic clutch (the same does gear no. 3). Gears no. 2 and 4 are direct, thus used for long term operation. The starting procedure for gears is 1 - 3 - 4 (in real world marked as 1 - 2 - 2B). If there is a very high elevation to climb, 1 - 2 is used (1 - 1B). MSTS and ORTS are not ready for this. There are of DirectGear, Hydraulic and more parameters in MSTS. If you have some ideas how they work, please let me know. I'd like to see differences in the gearbox behavior, but if we use MSTS parameters, the behavior should be the same as in MSTS.
Thanks,
Matej

That is a very interesting gearbox setup. MSTS definitely impossible to operate in that way, but a dedicated OR model could be possible. While I agree that if MSTS parameters are used, behaviour should be the same as MSTS, that does not preclude adding a different behaviour for use in OR. Using an ORTS specific parameter that enables a code segment for OR but does not affect MSTS operation is the way to go.

#35 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

I have tracked down the area of code that is the cause of this thread. Line 551 in DieselEngine.cs - DemandedRPM = GearBox.ShaftRPM; I have made a temporary change to DemandedRPM = ThrottleRPMTab[demandedThrottlePercent]; which allows the throttle to drive the rpm, not the gearbox. The next stage is to introduce the extra ORTS parameter to allow both types to co-exist. Then to find out what level of force is required for each gear to achieve maximum speed.

#36 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

I don't know if I have lost a bit, but what I see is that gearbox-based DMUs reach in every gear speeds and RPMs higher than those defined in the .eng file. Is this a wanted feature? If yes, there is the problem that Variable2 tops at 1 when the nominal max RPMs are reached. So the sound pitch remains constant above that RPM/speed, which is not nice.

#37 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:59 AM

The manual gearbox for some reason is linked to max rpm regardless of throttle setting and in that respect is the same as MSTS. Where it falls down is the link between gear rpm and engine rpm which is the cause of what you are seeing/hearing. The automatic gearbox does not have this problem. I have an alternative working with engine rpm behaving the same as the automatic box, following the throttle, not the gearbox.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users