Elvas Tower: ORTS TrackViewer - Elvas Tower

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS TrackViewer An open source alternative to MSTS TrackViewer Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Dear all

I have created what I would like to call ORTS TrackViewer. This is a program very similar to MSTS TrackViewer. That program is unfortunately no longer maintained, if I am not mistaken.

TrackViewer is at this point in time already a working program with lots of features that were already present in MSTS TrackViewer (drawing tracks, drawing track items, highlighting current track, junction, or item). It also already has the following additional features
* It is open source, meaning that development can continue independent of a single developer.
* TrackViewer supports the drawing of paths (from .pat files, including the ORTS processing).
* There is an inset showing a larger part of the path.
* Allows to search for siding or platform name.
Attached File  trackviewer1.png (65.82K)
Number of downloads: 427
Attached File  trackviewer2.png (51.46K)
Number of downloads: 364

On top of that, the following features are improved (at least in my opinion)
* TrackViewer will load automatically using your last route and settings, without the need to reselect it.
* Zooming and moving the view window is much smoother. Zooming is now around the mouse position, making it easier to find the region of interest.
* TrackViewer uses textures to make it easier to distinguish various track items.

Some things in the original MSTS Trackviewer are not currently implemented. This includes selecting track-width and the possibility to import/export a route.

This TrackViewer is closely linked to the ORTS code. As such, it currently does not exist independently of that code. For that reason only source code is distributed (meaning less than 1MB of data, most of which is documentation). I am aware of the fact that this trackviewer has a number of things in common with the dispatcher window for multiplayers. But if I understand it correctly, the dispatcher window is intended to show mainly train, junction and path status, and not so much all details of the tracks. It is also not available as standalone viewer.

I think that at this point in time it is already a useful tool, on par with MSTS Trackviewer. But I can imagine a number of future improvements that are not possible with MSTS TrackViewer, e.g.
* any addition not possible (anymore) in MSTS TrackViewer.
* use TrackViewer as an editor for paths. Possibly making it easier to develop paths that take advantage of the very recent improvements on passing paths.
* I can also imagine the use of TrackViewer as a debugger, showing in detail the location of player train, other trains, and perhaps even visualize the actual signal states.
Attached File  trackviewer3.png (46.45K)
Number of downloads: 341

Obviously, some of these improvements can only be done if the current ORTS development team thinks these are useful additions as well. Because they might need changes in the ORTS code, and that might or might not fit in their plans.

I appreciate all kinds of feedback. For instance on the following items
* If you find bugs on routes I did not test.
* If you like TrackViewer but would like a specific feature (e.g. something you always wanted in MSTS trackviewer but never got).
* If you do not like a particular part of the user interface.

I would also appreciate feedback on what the best way is to distribute future release of this code. Currently the logical place is as part of the ORTS source code and release, but I cannot overview the consequences of that.

Best regards,
Jeroen

Note that the attachment no longer works with recent ORTS updates. The code of trackviewer is now available as part of ORTS source (under source/Contrib), although you still have to compile it yourselve.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Looks very interesting Jeroen. I'll be sure to try it and will let you know if I see anything unusual.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Great news that is! I jsut recently (a month or so ago) installed MSTS Track Viewer and, well... I´m not really excited about it.

Seems to be a great replacement, and, of what youre telling, the first step towards an OpR activity editor...

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hi Jeroen,

JeroenP, on 02 February 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

I have created what I would like to call ORTS TrackViewer. This is a program very similar to MSTS TrackViewer. That program is unfortunately no longer maintained, if I am not mistaken.

This looks like a great step forward, and a very valuable tool. I would love to see it incorporated into OR as well.

Two points come to mind:
i) Firstly, could a stand alone version also be developed, similar to Trackviewer that doesn't need all the additional plugins (XNA and ,Net)?

The reason that I am asking is that I distribute routes, and I have been targeting new OR users. I have used Trackviewer to allow them to "preview" the route without having to instal OR and the route. This would be a great replacement for that.

ii) Secondly could it be used to define and build a pat file? This is one of the main barriers to new users who don't have MSTS installed. They can do a lot of the other activity creation tasks without MSTS installed, such as create consists, you can even create simple activities (if you are keen) with a text editor, but path creation is still a "step too far". Again another step forward!

The ability to create pat files would be a HUGE step forward for MSTS free operation.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

#5 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

I successfully added TrackViewer to ORTS solution, and compiled it. Looks really great for the first look! I haven't used the original track viewer before, so I cannot compare them, but this new one gives a really interesting overview of routes!

When I browsed a little, started to wonder if this tool could be used to debug route warnings, like:

Warning: Track node 927 pin 0 has invalid link to track node 0 in D:\Programs\Train Simulator\ROUTES\Balaton\BALATON.tdb:line 10338

But for this to work there should be an easy way to zoom onto track node 927.

And unfortunately, when I wanted to display platform names, a crash occured saying the character 'é' (0x00e9) is not available in this SpriteFont. And even more unfortunately, the setting of displaying platform names was saved, and I can no longer start the program, because now it displays the error message at startup. I would like to ask, where are the settings stored, because I want to reset them. :sign_thanks:

The first look was impressive, and I would like the idea to include it to OpenRails.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

I've forgotten how to do a build of the program so I've not used this yet but I understand and fully appreciate what the software is showing (I'd like to understand HOW it shows us what it does but that's another day).

Somewhere down the line in phases 1.01 thru 1.99 somebody should give some deep thought to whether a display like this one would be useful at the core of an Activity Editor. As Peter said, build the .pat file here. Being able to manipulate scaling and to scroll both vertically & horizontally would be a godsend after life with the KUJU path window.

It would also be interesting to examine the opportunities of windowing the display (even tho RunActivty is full screened) and having it pushed over to a second monitor where it could display real time data: Where you are, where the next item in the activity is located, etc.

#7 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

I downloaded and compiled TrackViewer without any problems, and it looks great. As Jeroen says, we will have the source code available, so it can be expanded to replace some MSTS tools.It operates very smoothly.

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

Not having tried the program yet, I have a question: Does it show grade crossings? If it is ever to be used for path creation, this would come in handy, opposed to MSTS´ AE..

Also, maybe some function (at a (very much) later state) to view a location in 3D would be practical...

Cheers, Markus

#9 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

markus_GE, on 06 February 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

Also, maybe some function (at a (very much) later state) to view a location in 3D would be practical...

It isn't that tool, that will be the Route Editor. :thumbup3:

A route data consistency checker would be a very good additional feature, that would list all the warnings OpenRails logs, when shows a particular area, such as
  • Warning: Track node pin has invalid link 0 in ...
  • Warning: Incomplete crossover : indices 1491 and 1490
  • Warning: Section 415, Pin [0,0] is 0 reference
  • etc...

Using this tool it is very easy to find out the correct number instead of the invalid one.

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

gpz, on 06 February 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

It isn't that tool, that will be the Route Editor. :thumbup3:

I know that, I´m just suggesting a possibilty to check, if you have located those static consists correctly, relating to trackside objects, and so on. No editing function in there.

Cheers, Markus

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users