• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alt - Mouse for switching changed? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

I understand why the changes were made, but automatically throwing the trailing point switch has messed up a few things for me, mainly passing sidings and wyes where I'd been relying on the "just let it go thru without throwing the switch" behavior to correctly mimic how spring switches work.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, with a spring switch, you can exit the siding or wye via the trailing points, and the points will move open to allow the flanges thru, and then shut again, leaving the switch always stays aligned for the main or default direction. They're quite fun to listen to...

#12 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

^Commonly referred to in US railroad slang as a "rubber switch."

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

I tried to apply the procedure Rob described to the attached path file (Bernina route), in explore mode. When I press CTRL-TAB or CTRL-SHIFT-TAB the related signal seems to change state only for a very short time (returning to clear state), and even if I try to throw the trailing switch in such short time it does not switch. Am I doing something wrong or the procedure does not work well with Bernina signalling?
Attached File  Testalpgruem.zip (1.28K)
Number of downloads: 156

Edit: I get the same problem on an Italian route. If however I reset the signal with the DispatchViewer window I'm able to throw the switch with the mouse (not on the Bernina route however, where the switch becomes thrown only with the G command or with the DispatchViewer window.

#14 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

Correction to my statement above : the use of CTRL-TAB and SHIFT-CTRL-TAB will only work in MANUAL mode, not in explorer mode.
In explorer mode, the train will always automatically clear the signal again.
But as there are no other trains in explorer mode, there is little use in setting trailing switches.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users