Elvas Tower: Virtual Photography in ORTS is Wonderful! - Elvas Tower

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Virtual Photography in ORTS is Wonderful! I sure wish I could do this in real life! Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostPA1930, on 18 February 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

May I ask why is this fantastic FOV patch being "discarded" and not applied to the "official" code?

<snip>

Just my opinion and my question without any other "complaints". Hopefully no one takes it personally or in a bad way for me asking this, but so far the results were positive for the ones who tried it. :)

It's worth remembering that nobody has actually discarded (or denied) this patch at all. We're all very busy and when someone gets the time, they'll integrate it.

Also remember that sometimes patches are not coding in the way we'd like, or don't integrate well with some other feature or such and it takes more effort than just copying the patch in to the code. For example, does the patch in this thread save and restore the FOV in saved games? This is not a suggestion that anyone writing patches has to write the best patch ever - they certainly do not - but integrating patches is usually not a trivial operation. Please bear with us. :)

#22 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 19 February 2014 - 02:13 AM, said:

It's worth remembering that nobody has actually discarded (or denied) this patch at all. We're all very busy and when someone gets the time, they'll integrate it.

Also remember that sometimes patches are not coding in the way we'd like, or don't integrate well with some other feature or such and it takes more effort than just copying the patch in to the code. For example, does the patch in this thread save and restore the FOV in saved games? This is not a suggestion that anyone writing patches has to write the best patch ever - they certainly do not - but integrating patches is usually not a trivial operation. Please bear with us. :)

Thank you very much for your feedback, James.

I'm sorry for bringing this up, but I've seen days passing through and no feedback from any of the developers (or even a sugestion like the one you've made about saving the games), I've seen new versions popping up but no details about this interesting patch. :)

As for in my opinion related to the save games, it shouldn't matter, because how it works it works just fine. You can change the FOV outside of the train, the inside (cabview) doesn't change and whenever you start a new game (and also a saved game but I honestly never tested it like that) it starts with the FOV defined on the options box and that sounds pretty fair and reasonable to me, because usually you just change the FOV outside to get a better zooming effect to the desired screenshot. Speaking for myself, when I make a screenshot with a lot of zooming, I tend to zoom-out to lets say FOV 38 to then roam around of follow the train else where, hence why I think there's no need to save the FOV that was being used.
Of course, this is just my opinion... :) I also don't know (and don't understand) about much of these applying patches things, that is why I also asked this because I would to see this patch included, and if there's something to be corrected then why not sugesting it to A Tejesember to try to improve it somehow to be easier to apply on the official code? That would be helpful both for him and for you. :)

Again James, thank you finally for some feedback! :)

#23 User is offline   A Tejesember 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for your reply James!
I see your point about my patch might not be written in the way the OR team wants. If you could provide guidelines about what should and souldn't a patch do, I'd be glad to improve it and make other ones too.

I don't think saving this kind of information is necessary, so I didn't implement it. But this can't be a problem. :)

For the time being, I attached X2043 containing the patch for those, who like it. :)

Attached File(s)

#24 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thank you very much as well A Tejesember for compiling it up with X2043! :)

#25 User is offline   A Tejesember 

• Apprentice

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Saving and replaying works, also made trackside camera's (4) FOV changeable. Considering adding brakeman and headout cameras. Tell me what you think! ;)

Attached File(s)

#26 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Brakeman view I'm not sure if it should have zooming enable, but head-out could have, maybe to simulate a "zoom-in" to see a signal from the window of a steam loco! ;)

Again, thanks for the "already applied" patch. :)

#27 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

May I ask again for another executable file with the most recent version?

#28 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

Better, why couldn´t the zoom feature be implemented in the official releases, now that´s obviously been tested and found to be good?

Cheers, Markus

#29 User is offline   A Tejesember 

• Apprentice

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Here it is, X2087 with FOV patch and Trackviewer included. :)

Attached File(s)

#30 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostA Tejesember, on 09 March 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Here it is, X2087 with FOV patch and Trackviewer included. :)

Thank you very much! :blush:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users