Cherry Street Bridge Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Wayne, a couple of questions:

there isn't something that determines the rotation speed? They're all the same?

What identifies the vertex set that rotates?

Well... if it is so simple, it would be cool to see it do its thing....

How feasible is it to simply insert the necessary code into the .s file using a text editor? My bridge is oriented on a North/South axis, it rotated 82.5 degrees to the left (using 0 0 0 1 as the original value a rotation to -82.5 turns produces a value of 0 0.659346 0 0.751840), and the centerline of rotation is +2.445151m of the point of origin (and that point could be moved to 0,0,0 in the model if necessary). It would be a trivial exercise to snip away the non-moving base, allowing the whole model to rotate.

#12 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 15 January 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

there isn't something that determines the rotation speed? They're all the same?

I believe the rotational speed would be controlled by the frame rate parameter in the animation statement:

What identifies the vertex set that rotates?

You build your model using parts assembled into a hierarchy. Each level in the hierarchy has a named matrix that describes its offset and rotation relative to the levels below. ( You see these names in the matrix statement of the .s file) When you add animation to the model, the animation section provides info on how these named matrices move during each frame of the animation.

How feasible is it to simply insert the necessary code into the .s file using a text editor?

Its possible, but would be quite hard. The calculations are normally done by the CAD program and added to the file by its exporter ( eg TSM etc ).

PS - for some reason my wife doesn't think I'm so smart :-)

#13 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Excellent bridge Dave! :) I had pondered awhile back as someone pondered having a animated Burlington draw bridge. As there's a section of 'invisible track' in the Track Sections one could use. And if one incorporated the track ace's onto the bridge model and positioned it just so, it could look pretty seamless still. As for animation, parenthesis could be copied from something like the crossing signals, and simply change the Main node from 'gate' to 'bridge' (or whatever it's designated as in your S file.) Triggering though is a different issue, but I think things like crossings and such could be reversed and/or interwoven with signal triggering - should you want to bury track in the river bed and have AI boat traffic enact the bridge animation. I've only transferred and/or fixed self propelled vehicular traffic by surgically extrapolating animation parenthesis from Dieter Penzels models to static objects. But it does work. And/or speed control and distance adjustments is a bit trickier adding or removing controller lines just so. But again, is achievable if you're patient enough.

But static is good too. :D

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users