• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

At The Railyard: Needles Sub (Run 8) Review Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

The big downside with Run-8 is that they haven't released an SDK to the public. If I can't make routes for it, it's not a 'sim I want to join in...

#12 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Not only that, but they don't allow content creation. By that, I don't mean there aren't any programs which allow you to edit textures, make models, or create routes. The EULA prohibits anyone from repainting. I bet it's a shady plan to rake in money from overpriced DLC addons. I'm sticking to MSTS (and likely OR) for now.

#13 User is offline   pinpuller 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for that explanations guys, it makes more sense to me now. For me, I think I will stick with OR for the time being. With OR I can run all my mini routes in near full graphics and getting super FPS.

Cheers,
Pinpuller

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostDustin Raiken, on 24 March 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Not only that, but they don't allow content creation. By that, I don't mean there aren't any programs which allow you to edit textures, make models, or create routes. The EULA prohibits anyone from repainting. I bet it's a shady plan to rake in money from overpriced DLC addons. I'm sticking to MSTS (and likely OR) for now.

Well DUH! Of course it is a plan to make money -- IT'S COMMERCIAL software!!!

The inability to keep up with every changing hardware and software improvements is why commercial games always eventually die. Make big bucks, eat Prime steak every night, and close up shop when the gravy train slows down. Oh... rename your company too... I forgot that step.

I have my hopes set on Open Source as the best way to avoid that fate (As Elrond might say: "The doom of games."). I want train sims to be a hobby, one that lasts longer than the game commercial cycle.

That's not to say I think Run-8 cannot be fun, or isn't admirable for what it has accomplished but only that you get to play with software well matched to your PC only for as long as they make money. After that it'll start to look like MSTS: Visually long in the tooth, rather shaggy, dated, and often not running.

#15 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Like many things there's always something to be learned from another person's take on the subject... what do roles do in Run 8?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users