• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cylinder steam effects again? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Has anyone else noticed the cylinder cocks quit operating some iterations ago? I don't know when but I think I've updated about 10 ne wversions since I last noticed the cyl cocks working? Anybody else?

#2 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

Yes. You're right. Looks like they're working on the steam physics in there, so there may just be a minor change that needs to be made to restore them.

Robert

#3 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:50 AM

Steam physics is very much a WIP so things will change from time to time. The missing cylinder cocks effects should not be missing, so will find out where they have gone.

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

The steam cylinder cocks have not disappeared, but changed.

They have been changed as follows:
i) The cocks only work when the throttle is increased (after "c" key has been pressed)
ii) The steam output through the cocks increases as the throttle increase.

The original code worked solely on the C key and was independent of the throttle. Thus steam is exhausted through the steam cocks even if the throttle is not opened to allow steam to enter the cylinders. The volume of steam through the cocks was set equivalent to the full steam usage rate, which whilst a good visual effect was not very realistic.

So whilst it appears that the cocks are not working, they are just working in a different fashion.

One challenge seems to be the fact that when the locomotive is stationary, the steam display code appears to exhaust the steam in puffs, which would be fine if the loco was moving, but would not be the case if it is stationary.

Cheers

Peter

#5 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:51 AM

Peter, the "puffing" is because of parameters in the .eng file. It can be smoothed out with the correct parameters. I tried fixing it in the code, and anything that made it look right all of the time negated the .eng file parameters for everything else.

Robert

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:23 AM

View Postrdamurphy, on 06 December 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

Peter, the "puffing" is because of parameters in the .eng file. It can be smoothed out with the correct parameters. I tried fixing it in the code, and anything that made it look right all of the time negated the .eng file parameters for everything else.

Robert

Which parameters are you referring to here, the effects?, or some of the other lines that are in the engine section?. If so, which lines please.

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi Robert,

View Postrdamurphy, on 06 December 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

Thanks for that.

I have not explored the particle drawer in the code. Does it read all the parameters in the ENG file and use them or just the location co-ordinates?

The other challenge is that ideally two separate modes of operation are required:
i) When loco stationary, the cocks steam effect should not puff as the cylinder piston is not moving
ii) When moving the locomotive should exhibit the puffing effect.

Is this possible?

Cheers

Peter

#8 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

I was actually going to implement that, for both the cylinders and the stack, but decided to hold off due to the physics work being done in the Class.

Robert

#9 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:57 AM

Robert, if don't modify exactly the same lines (which is very likely, since you would work on a different feature), then svn client manages the changes perfectly, so don't hold back your self motivation! ;) And even if you would have made modifications to the same lines, resolving conflicts is not a big deal at all. As James always tells: commit early and often. Who commits earlier is acquitted of doing conflict resolution. :(

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hi Robert,

View Postrdamurphy, on 07 December 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

I was actually going to implement that, for both the cylinders and the stack, but decided to hold off due to the physics work being done in the Class.

That sounds good.

I am not sure what you have in mind or how the "puff rate" is currently calculated, but if of value, I could provide a parameter which gives the value of cylinder strokes. This would vary with the speed, and also be zero when the locomotive is stationary. Thus the puffing would match the cylinder movements.

Would this be of value or help in the changes that you have in mind?

Cheers

Peter

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users