• You cannot reply to this topic

Does OR recognize MSTS activity "waiting points"? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

I've been working with an activity for the 1940's version of the L&HR, it's Eastbound Piggyback-Part 1 (ztpig1.zip) by Rick Franzosa. When its run in MSTS the AI train obeys a 480 second wait at the beginning of the activity. In Open Rails the same AI pulls into the yard and vanishes as if it's reached its end of run point ---- which is some distance past the waiting point. Has this issue been discussed; something that never worked correctly in MSTS or is it something that will be addressed in the future? Cheers. rhs (aka gerry) :) {we need a bigger clown)

#2 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

Don't use waiting points in OR activities. Instead, use timetable for AIs too. As opposite to MSTS, AIs in OR follow their timetable.

#3 User is online   R H Steele 

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postgpz, on 09 November 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Don't use waiting points in OR activities. Instead, use timetable for AIs too. As opposite to MSTS, AIs in OR follow their timetable.

Thanks Peter, I thought it might be something like this, although it is entertaining watching the Houdini Express pull into the yard! Cheers rhs (aka gerry) :){we need a bigger clown)

#4 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

Actually I saw something strange in some activity test I've made.
A DMU was arriving to a terminal station and had the timetable to arrive at the station at a certain hour, and of course, it respected the timetable. Though when it reached the beggining of the platform it vanished.
Then I have tried to place a waiting point in almost the end of the platform (lets say, literally inside of the station) and then the DMU arrive but didn't vanished as before.

Another thing I've noticed with waiting points, though, is that I've set up some freight train arriving to an harbor and stop at a certain place where the waiting point was set, though the path would go a bit more further (not much more, but it would go further!), though after the time passed set on the waitining point, the train just vanished and didn't run until the end of the path. I should make more testing with this as I haven't really tested these awesome things ORTS can do... :)

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

@ Peter: I myself don´t use waiting Points for new activities I´m writing, since timetables do work, but in lots of older ones I still have them set up - mostly in a way to make up a timetable. Will I have to Change These to a real timetable or will they (in some later Revision) work again as one would expect?

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   mauried 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Waiting points do work in OR , but not in the same way that they do in MSTS.
When a train encounters a waiting point , the train doesnt stop at the waiting point , but stops at the next
signal past the waiting point , which OR holds at red until the waiting time expires.
This is a useful feature as it allows you to set up very easily train overtaking type functions where you want one train to overtake another.

#7 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

The above is correct. However, suppose one wants the train to wait at a point other than a signal. Then what?

#8 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

The train can also wait e.g. at a platform, following a timetable. Of course you cannot set it to wait on steppe, but that is also not something happens in real life, unless you want to model an indian attack.

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

Well Peter,
I said this also to Rob, there are cases where this displacement of the waiting point damages activity execution.

#10 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I said this also to Rob, there are cases where this displacement of the waiting point damages activity execution.

...like when modellng switching operations for AI Trains, as I have done in some older self.written activities. Seeing the abpe comments, I see no way I could get These to work again as they are intended too. Some solution would be fine...

Yours, Markus

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users