• You cannot reply to this topic

F6 Display Intenisty Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 20 May 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be what I have here...

James, as usual, you're right and I apologize for my mistake.

In order to know how your 22890_1.patch code worked. I had to add your GIT patch, manually to MVS, because the GIT patch file is not compatible to update, my local copy of OR SVN repo. It was then, by copying the conditional statement that I made my mistake.

Testing how your new code works, in activity mode, it only computes the platforms for ActivityTaskPassengerStopAt' task.

It would be an improvement to collect all the stations labels, platforms and sidings, from the current Activity or TimeTable, by where the Player-train and AI-Trains are transiting.

Attached patch file to try it.

Attached File  20170604-F6-Activity-labels.patch.txt (8.81K)
Number of downloads: 256

#72 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 03 June 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

James, as usual, you're right and I apologize for my mistake.

No worries. :)

Testing how your new code works, in activity mode, it only computes the platforms for ActivityTaskPassengerStopAt' task.

It would be an improvement to collect all the stations labels, platforms and sidings, from the current Activity or TimeTable, by where the Player-train and AI-Trains are transiting.

Yes, it was a quick prototype to demonstrate the possibility for automatically choosing which labels to show. To actually implement this in OR would need to check for all the different ways things can be referenced, including sidings for shunting, and platforms for timetables (which might be a little fun?).

I don't think we want to show labels relevant to AI trains, though; anyone else have thoughts?

Attached patch file to try it.

Thanks! I see you've gone with a different way to find the stations for the player train, and a 3rd way for timetable stations. I'll have to look around the code to figure out what is going on with these different references to see which is better. For example, there is nothing in either of the methods you've used that suggest they would only work for activity or timetable mode, so I'm curious if they both work in both modes, or not, and if there's any differences in behaviour.

#73 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:15 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 04 June 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

I don't think we want to show labels relevant to AI trains, though; anyone else have thoughts?

When we use the TrainsList window or the Dispatcher window to switch from Player-Train to another Ai-train, if the new active train does not stop at the station, we do not have any reference to know where it is, no labels with 'F6 activity' selected.

View PostJames Ross, on 04 June 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

For example, there is nothing in either of the methods you've used that suggest they would only work for activity or timetable mode...

Activity mode stores all stations that use specific traffic in ...TCRoute.StationXRef, and after adding some code, we can know if it is a platform or a siding and its name. With it, we can see all the platforms or sidings labels, by where the traffic has to make its path.

But in TimeTable mode, we can't use ...TCRoute.StationXRef, the easier way. I do not know if it exists with different reference in TimeTable mode.
The only way I found was to use ...StartList.StationStops, but it only let us know the station stops, for the current train, ignoring the rest of the stations where the train does not stop.

That is why, we cannot use the same code for the Activity mode and the TimeTable mode.

It is easy to debug code in Activity mode, but it's difficult to do it in TimeTable mode.
Every time I needed to know which code stored some kind of data, the only way was to dump it into a text file, a very tedious job.
Maybe there is an easier way to debug the TimeTable mode code, but I have not yet found it.

Regards,
Mauricio

#74 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 10 February 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Just for the record, I want to repeat a suggestion I've been offering for some time. Sprite text -- ALL sprite text -- should be displayed only if it is marked for display in the specific activity which is running. IMO that would greatly reduce the amount of text that is displayed at any given moment in time and by definition restrict the text to uniquely serve the information needs of each activity.

Please check X3991's new "auto" mode for station and siding labels which I have just added. It will show any station platform or siding label that the train is due to stop at or is mentioned in the work order, in both activity and timetable modes. You can still cycle through the existing three options (all labels, all platforms, and all sidings).

View PostGenma Saotome, on 10 February 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

It needn't be anything more complex than making a copy of the routes .tit file, deleting everything in it that isn't a platform or siding (with text) that is desired for an activity, and saving it as <ActivityFileName>.tit. THAT identifies which sprite text to display in that activity, assuming the OR team changes the code to make use of it. No more unwanted sprites (of any intensity).

We'll consider adding an activity-specific list of which items to label, but let me know how X3991's "auto" mode does.

View Postmbm_OR, on 05 June 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

When we use the TrainsList window or the Dispatcher window to switch from Player-Train to another Ai-train, if the new active train does not stop at the station, we do not have any reference to know where it is, no labels with 'F6 activity' selected.

I'm afraid I don't follow what you're saying here.

Activity mode stores all stations that use specific traffic in ...TCRoute.StationXRef, and after adding some code, we can know if it is a platform or a siding and its name. With it, we can see all the platforms or sidings labels, by where the traffic has to make its path.

But in TimeTable mode, we can't use ...TCRoute.StationXRef, the easier way. I do not know if it exists with different reference in TimeTable mode.
The only way I found was to use ...StartList.StationStops, but it only let us know the station stops, for the current train, ignoring the rest of the stations where the train does not stop.

That might be the case, but I've gone and used Train.StationStops which works in both activity and timetable mode. :)

It is easy to debug code in Activity mode, but it's difficult to do it in TimeTable mode.
Every time I needed to know which code stored some kind of data, the only way was to dump it into a text file, a very tedious job.
Maybe there is an easier way to debug the TimeTable mode code, but I have not yet found it.

I am not sure what's harder to debug in timetable mode; both modes can be run under the debugger just fine (as I have just done).

#75 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:12 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 26 November 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Please check X3991's ...

I'm sorry, but x3991 crashed with some activities.
I don't quite understand how this new functionality works.
It works for the player train.

I attach the log error and a patch to try to fix it.

Regards,
Mauricio

Attached File  x3991-log-patch.zip (1.2K)
Number of downloads: 216

#76 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

View Postmbm_OR, on 27 November 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but x3991 crashed with some activities.

Should be fixed in X3992, yet another problem caused by our poor data model. :(

#77 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:45 AM

Hi James,
Great job. The best thing for me it is the code.

I'm afraid I don't follow what you're saying here.

When we are running an Activity, we can select an AI-train and convert it to Player-train through the TrainList window (Alt+F9). But in some case, this 'new' Player-train does not stop at any station.
My suggestion was, to show any station platform or siding label that the train is passing through.
Something like your new code for automatic-label, including the station label without train stop.
But your new functionality, can help the user to know in advance in which station the train will stop. It's more useful.

I am not sure what's harder to debug in timetable mode...

I will try it again.

Regards,
Mauricio

#78 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

I am having a problem with station labels for some reason none are showing up. I'm currently building an activity for the old C&NW (Cascade & Northwestern), I turned on the label display but nothing is showing.

I've attached a photo of my passenger train coming into the Maryville station and there is no label to be found this also happened at all the stations before. I just didn't take a photo until now.

https://grems-family.com/john/pictures/maryville-station.png

#79 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

View Postjdgremsjr, on 29 November 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

I am having a problem with station labels for some reason none are showing up.

I usually select, with F6 key 'Automatic platform and siding labels visible' option.

Regards.
Mauricio

#80 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 29 November 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

I usually select, with F6 key 'Automatic platform and siding labels visible' option.

Regards.
Mauricio

That is what I'm doing when I press the F6 the label doesn't appear. It was working fine before the update but doesn't work now.

https://grems-family.com/john/pictures/susanville-station.png

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users