Elvas Tower: OR Steam Exhaust - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Steam Exhaust New Changes Rate Topic: -----

#331 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 12 March 2022 - 02:33 PM

There are two elements missing from the steam locomotive which are , in my mind, required components for real looking steam/smoke. Speed of draft air through the tubes as generated by the fire, and speed of the steam leaving the cylinders. In addition, there is a need to make the auto fireman behave more like a real one, accepting that it will never be able to anticipate what lies ahead on the road. After all, MSTS managed it, so why cant we?.

#332 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 13 March 2022 - 12:07 AM

Speed of draft air through the tubes as generated by the fire, and speed of the steam leaving the cylinders.

Hello.

I don't quite know that.
The flow rate of the fire is given by the draft. The cover is produced in a standing position with a fresh steam-operated blower. It is a conically tapered tube through which fresh steam accelerates and creates a draft (Venturi tube). The blower is placed in the smoke cabinet under the chimney. In the process, the tired steam coming out of the rollers is used for this purpose. If there is a good fire and there is also steam pressure, they will not fire and of course they will not use the blower. In addition, if the train is accelerated, the roller will reduce the load on the cylinders, there will be little smoke and steam escaping. Carbon commission for locomotive crews.
What still greatly affects the combustion is the thickness of the slag layer. Due to the accumulated slag, the fire does not get fresh air from below the ash box. That’s why they tend to wait longer at some stations because the heaters are on fire. That is, the accumulated slag is emptied into the ash box through the tipping grate.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#333 User is online   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 January 2023 - 02:11 PM

I was thinking about smoke in Open Rails today while I was at work and one way we could make it more realistic without having to do too much is make it so in the Eng file you can change how high the smoke goes and possibly make it in the coding where its more consistent and a stream instead of just a puff here and a puff there. Especially at full throttle and at speed.

The smoke balls are way to far apart and small when at speed. Yes the smoke needs to be redone and separate from steam but at this moment we should try and work with what we have at the moment. I don't see it in the cards any time soon to change the smoke/steam effects but this option may be a good starting point as to making the smoke more realistic for Open Rails.

Getting the smoke from the stack to sinc with driver rotation would be a huge addition to making it realistic as well and having a puff out of the stack every 4 or 6 beats of the rotation of the drivers depending on how many cylinders are on the locomotive as well.

One way to achieve this would be to link the puffs specifically to the cylinders back and forth or driver rotation every 4 or 6 turns of the driver wheels.

If you look at old photos and video of smoke in MSTS they did a great job at the time for making smoke as realistic as they could and it acted more realistic at times then Open Rails does currently.

Brandon

#334 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 04 February 2023 - 06:31 PM

While I enjoy the addition of the CylinderSteamExhaustxFX added with the CTN NYC Atlantic, I have one comment about it. On my machine at least, the effect seems to disappear whenever I accelerate past 8-9 mph. Is this intentional?

#335 User is offline   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 05 February 2023 - 10:21 AM

Articulated locomotives still only exhaust from the front engine. Any help here is appreciated.

#336 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 February 2023 - 10:27 AM

Cilinder cocks?
Yes, switching "cabs" causes lost of control on the rest of engines.

#337 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 February 2023 - 10:34 AM

It would be nice if we could have an AI cylinder cocks effect for all locos except the player loco. This could activate when starting from rest and continue until a speed of 10-15 km/h plus a small random time interval.

#338 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 05 February 2023 - 11:05 AM

Hello.

Not only when it's AI, but also with a pushed train where there is a control car in front. The fact that the control car has reduced performance or lacks energy (Control) does not matter from this point of view. In the latter case, a non-steam effect would also be useful if the air compressor is working.

Sincerely, Laci 1959.

Dream, dream, sweet dream. Then I always wake up.

#339 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 February 2023 - 04:55 PM

I've been looking at Knott's Berry Farm's C-19 340 this afternoon and look what I hadn't noticed before. Puffballs!

Attached Image: Puffballs.jpg

Maybe we're working too hard...

#340 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 05 February 2023 - 06:24 PM

View Postlineman, on 05 February 2023 - 10:21 AM, said:

Articulated locomotives still only exhaust from the front engine. Any help here is appreciated.

Currently, most articulated locomotives in MSTS/ORTS treat the front and rear halves of the locomotive as separate locomotives each with its own separate .eng file. This is why I am promoting the move away from these multi-section models and going for single-piece models...but that's a discussion for another thread!

View Postdarwins, on 05 February 2023 - 10:34 AM, said:

It would be nice if we could have an AI cylinder cocks effect for all locos except the player loco. This could activate when starting from rest and continue until a speed of 10-15 km/h plus a small random time interval.

The way I see it, have the AI locos start from a stop with the cylinder cocks open, and then have the cylinder cocks close when the loco accelerates past 5 MPH, or 30 seconds have passed (whichever is longer), or until the locomotive comes to a stop again.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users