Elvas Tower: OR Steam Exhaust - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Steam Exhaust New Changes Rate Topic: -----

#341 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 February 2023 - 06:27 PM

Ah, yes. This is a separate wide question, forming a task for future development. I've read about that, but no actual results yet.

#342 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:19 PM

View PostTraindude, on 04 February 2023 - 06:31 PM, said:

While I enjoy the addition of the CylinderSteamExhaustxFX added with the CTN NYC Atlantic, I have one comment about it. On my machine at least, the effect seems to disappear whenever I accelerate past 8-9 mph. Is this intentional?

Hi;

It seems like this problem still exists. I got a few 'blasts' when speeds were very, very low. It seemed each successive 'blast' had a shorter duration as speed increased until such a point that the duration was so short the steam was not rendered/visible.

It seems like the cylinder cocks are a good starting point for the long wished for blast effect. And it almost works.

I wonder if there is any merit in having distinctive blasts up to a certain point then replacing it with a continuous particle stream - the point at which the human eye could not distinguish individual blasts?

Just some thoughts - thanks for the work on implementing this.

-Paul

#343 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 February 2023 - 02:10 PM

View PostTraindude, on 05 February 2023 - 06:24 PM, said:

Currently, most articulated locomotives in MSTS/ORTS treat the front and rear halves of the locomotive as separate locomotives each with its own separate .eng file. This is why I am promoting the move away from these multi-section models and going for single-piece models...but that's a discussion for another thread!

I have to agree with this when it comes to articulated locomotives. It does not make any sense in Open Rails to have a single locomotive split into 2 Eng files. For MSTS it did make sense because it did not have the capability to have articulated locomotives as a single unit but I believe Open Rails can handle it.

View PostTraindude, on 05 February 2023 - 06:24 PM, said:

The way I see it, have the AI locos start from a stop with the cylinder cocks open, and then have the cylinder cocks close when the loco accelerates past 5 MPH, or 30 seconds have passed (whichever is longer), or until the locomotive comes to a stop again.

My thought on this is when having multiple steam locomotives in a consist why not have the cylinder cocks be controlled by the Player? It looks really stupid to have your lead locomotive have the cylinder cocks open while starting and the locomotive following to not have anything. Also when having multiple steam locomotives in one consist you should be able to control both locomotives separately in some ways. This would include cylinder cocks, blow downs, whistle, along with a few other features.

That is just my take on it. Feel free to chime in if you would like.

Brandon

#344 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 27 February 2023 - 03:01 PM

View PostATSF3751, on 27 February 2023 - 02:10 PM, said:

My thought on this is when having multiple steam locomotives in a consist why not have the cylinder cocks be controlled by the Player?
Brandon

I believe in MSTS they did? Like with sand and other controls, why shouldn't cylinder cocks on AI locos also be controlled by the player?

On steam exhaust the few puffs we currently get are indeed not worth the effort to implement into an .eng file, ORs smoke FX drowns it out at any speed or throttle setting and as said elsewhere it just seems to stop. At some speeds the way OR generates smoke is convincingly similar to exhaust puffs anyway!
I understand it's a new feature so it still needs alot of tweaking to get the code right.

I don't know how MSTS did it but yes, smoke and steam FX was better in some regards and in a steady stream regardless of speed. How Peter can replicate that I don't know but I hope he figures it out for the future. Smoke and steam is such a complex and dynamic mechanism that afaik it's almost impossible to simulate it perfectly...

I remember even seeing the smoke darkening briefly with each shovelfull of coal, if that was intentional or not by KUJU I don't know but it was very realistic for what it was.

#345 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:30 PM

Hello.

The following video was published in a Facebook group dealing with steam locomotives.

My link

Based on the sound of knocks, the locomotive pulls. Since the reverser is set maybe a third of the way, and the regulator is slightly open, there is almost nothing above the chimney. From time to time it is clearly visible when the heater burns a little. The fact that the German war locomotive is very powerful also belongs to the truth. Those couple of cars are not a significant burden for him.
Video source Facebook.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#346 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:48 PM

This is a good illustration of what we should ultimately aim for. Put some coal on and smoke rapidly becomes black then gradually becomes clear again. Then put some more coal on. (Only if the fire is less hot or too much coal is put on, then the smoke will remain black for longer.)

#347 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 02 May 2023 - 10:59 AM

I concur. But Peter have stated elsewhere the AI firing mechanics need a complete rebuild, at current we have a mechanical stoker for fireman and the darkening smoke mechanic wouldn't change much from what we already experience.

Again, there's a gazillion things and variables to make steam and smoke realistic. For now I think Peter should focus on getting the exhaust puffs right.

#348 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 02 May 2023 - 12:32 PM

View PostJonatan, on 02 May 2023 - 10:59 AM, said:

I concur. But Peter have stated elsewhere the AI firing mechanics need a complete rebuild, at current we have a mechanical stoker for fireman and the darkening smoke mechanic wouldn't change much from what we already experience.

Again, there's a gazillion things and variables to make steam and smoke realistic. For now I think Peter should focus on getting the exhaust puffs right.

In case anyone is interested, I am doing an analysis of the LMS' "Little and Often" training film and developing suggestions for how to improve the firing algorithms.

I also want to repeat that while I like Peter's new CylinderExhaustFX emitters, keep in mind that they are dependednt on the ORTSWheelCrankAngleDifference parameter and therefore they're only applicable to conventional "Rod" engines.

In the case of geared locomotives, the cylinder exhaust should be tied to the crankshaft rotation instead of the wheel rotation. For example, a Shay has a 3-cylinder steam engine driving the crankshaft and therefore would make 6 puffs in a single revolution of the shaft. However, since there is a 4:1 or 6:1 gear reduction between the shaft and the wheels (meaning it takes 4 to 6 rotations of the shaft to complete one rotation of the wheels), this would result in anywhere between 24 and 36 puffs per wheel rotation. This is why geared locomotives sound like they're going super-fast even though, in reality, they're only moving at little more than walking speed.

#349 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 May 2023 - 12:11 AM

View PostTraindude, on 02 May 2023 - 12:32 PM, said:

In case anyone is interested, I am doing an analysis of the LMS' "Little and Often" training film and developing suggestions for how to improve the firing algorithms.
The challenge with this approach is that it assumes the fire is behaving the same as demonstrated on the film.

This is another layer of complexity for OR, how should the fire combustion behavior be modeled? Thus we have two models that need to interact with each other.

#350 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 04 May 2023 - 11:58 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 04 May 2023 - 12:11 AM, said:

The challenge with this approach is that it assumes the fire is behaving the same as demonstrated on the film.

This is another layer of complexity for OR, how should the fire combustion behavior be modeled? Thus we have two models that need to interact with each other.

Understood. Well, it's the thought that counts. You still appreciate having this kind of reference material though, right?

Back on topic: Do you agree that in the case of geared locomotives, the CylinderSteamExhaustFX should be tied to the crankshaft rotation and not the wheels? So would ORTSCrankshaftCrankAngleDifference ( x ) be a new parameter in those cases?

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users