• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Linux support? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

When we can expect it if it's planned? OR already uses OpenAL for example it will not be too hard to have a Linux port.

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

RacerBG, on 05 September 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

When we can expect it if it's planned? OR already uses OpenAL for example it will not be too hard to have a Linux port.

It is not planned and you should not expect it; the sound system using OpenAL is only one tiny part of the nightmare that is porting games.

#3 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Linux has a .net frame work currently running called "mono" see....
Mono does come with a C# complier, but there is no "native" linux complier. Work haveing ceased on one around 18 months to 2 years ago

http://www.mono-project.com/‎

There also appears to be an XNA framework being developed called "monoxna see....

https://code.google.com/p/monoxna/

It appears the latter is not far into develpment and it is unclear how much effort is going into it.

So on never can tell, but it may work in time!

Note neither mono or wine are true emulators but are linux libraries providing the required API, a problem though is that the Microsoft API's are something of a moving target. Also its not unknown for windows programmers to use undocumented features in API's, all this makes developing a compatible API for Linux a real minefield.

MSTS does run on Linux under wine, I regularly use the the activity editor under Linux and I have played with the Route editor. Its relatively easy to give the RE a bigger window under Linux.

A side note though Openbve currently runs on Linux under mono. I have not tried it but Debian certainly have an Opnebve package avaiible.

Important note: All this is outside the realm of the OR devs, who are ____ONLY____ working under Windows.

Lindsay

#4 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

C# is a managed language, so there is no native compiler on Windows too. It compiles to an intermediate language, that is being interpreted at runtime. This is how it works in Windows, and Mono provides the same functionality in Linux too. So it is as much native in Linux, as in Windows.

The XNA framework replacement's name in active development is MonoGame. But if we moved to OpenGL, that would not be needed at all.

Personally I strongly hope we will have a Linux port one time, as I have a very much sympathy to it, although currently I have to use Windows for my work, because the CAD softwares I use not available for Linux,

#5 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Okay, thanks for the answers. :)

#6 Inactive_Jordi Verdugo_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

While there is not a Linux native version of the game, you can play Open Rails on Linux using Wine :thumbup3:.
Yesterday I was able to run Open Rails with wine ;).
I wrote a little script to help anyone who wants to run the game on Linux.

Below I leave the script code. You need wine 1.6 and winetricks, and I recommend a clean wine installation in order to ensure that wine is running in 32 bits if you have a 64 bits distro :)
#!/bin/bash

# Open Rails wine libraries installer
# This script will install some libraries in wine needed by OpenRails: .Net 3,5 SP1, XNA 3.1 and Visual C++ 2008.
# Created by Jordi Verdugo Moreno - 19 september 2013
# Code license: GPL v3
# In order to run this script, you must have installed wine 1.6 or above and winetricks

export WINEARCH=win32
# Install Arial, Verdana, etc etc...
echo "Installing corefonts..."
winetricks corefonts 
# Install MS XML 3
echo "Installing MS XML3.0..."
winetricks msxml3
# msxml3 install have a manual download, checking error code.
if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
	echo "You must download msxml3.msi from the above URL and put it in the specified path that winetricks says..."
	echo "Press Enter when you do it"
	read res
	winetricks msxml3
fi

#Install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
echo "Installing .Net Framework 3.5 SP1..."
winetricks dotnet35sp1
if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
	echo "You must download netframework3.exe from the above URL and put it in the specified path that winetricks says..."
	echo "Press Enter when you do it"
	read res
	winetricks dotnet35sp1
fi

# Install XNA 3.1
echo "Installing XNA Framework 3.1..."
winetricks xna31

# Install Visual C++ 2008
echo "Installing Visual C++ 2008..."
winetricks vcrun2008

And here I attach a screenshot of my desktop running Open Rails on my Xubuntu 13.04 64 bits.

http://www.lapipaplena.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Captura-190913-192301.png

I hope it will be useful ;)

This post has been edited by Jordi Verdugo: 20 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

#7 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Jordi Verdugo, on 20 September 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

While there is not a Linux native version of the game, you can play Open Rails on Linux using Wine :thumbup3:.

Nice! No need for a port now... j/k ;)

#8 Inactive_Jordi Verdugo_*

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

James Ross, on 20 September 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Nice! No need for a port now... j/k ;)

I think that having a port running in mono instead of wine would be better hehe. Maybe I'm wrong, but running in mono the game could be faster although with wine is faster enough... :thumbup3:
And I forget to say that running in wine have some issues, especially when I try to use the Dispatcher: It crashes and I can't use it :(.

#9 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

Jordi Verdugo, on 21 September 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

I think that having a port running in mono instead of wine would be better hehe. Maybe I'm wrong, but running in mono the game could be faster although with wine is faster enough... :)
And I forget to say that running in wine have some issues, especially when I try to use the Dispatcher: It crashes and I can't use it :(.

Sorry for bumping this thread, guys.

I just want to say that while OR can run in Wine this doesn't mean that it can run fine like Jordi said. Have a native support is the best solution and believe me - native games are faster than Wine emulated. ;)

Thanks for the script!

#10 Inactive_Jordi Verdugo_*

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

I think that a port to Linux and Mac OS can be done using Monogame, an open source implementation of XNA4. I know that the current code is created with XNA 3.1 and you will need to make a lot of changes but perhaps you can give a chance to Monogame hehe :rolleyes:

What is MonoGame?
MonoGame is an open source implementation of the Microsoft XNA 4.x Framework.

Our goal is to make it easy for XNA developers to create cross-platform games with extremely high code reuse. We currently support iOS, Android, Windows (both OpenGL and DirectX), Mac OS X, Linux, Windows 8 Store, Windows Phone 8, PlayStation Mobile, and the OUYA console.

http://www.monogame.net/

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users