• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Install.Bat issue Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help! :cheers3: I can't say I'm "frustrated", but I am certainly annoyed. :crazy: Before I try the final solution of slowly copying and pasting everything over a long period, I tried the command prompt fix. Something interesting (and bothersome) happened: the command prompt box closed exactly the same way the .bat file does! :shok: :oldstry:

Clearly, this is a programming issue. So, is there a way to fix this problem? One thought I had is that my new virus software might be blocking these pop-up utilities; they used to work in the past on my computer, so I think that a new program or software update might be responsible. Several months ago, I had a "last straw" moment when my old virus program failed to stop a nasty internet bug, so I switched to some software that was highly-recommended by the folks who keep fixing my computer. It is called Webroot, ad while I was a bit reserved initially about it (given my track record, I wanted the best protection I could find) I have not had any problems so far. :mellow:

I cannot tell if Webroot might be blocking these functions, or if a recent Windows update is responsible. Has anyone else had experience either with the Windows operating system or Webroot that might suggest a possible answer to this problem? :wtf01:

#22 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

I trust windows 7 permissions are not the problem?

take a look at the code you copied into the command box. All you need are the copy and paste commands, which is almost all of it. However I recall a few lines at the beginning that you should leave out. Did you?

Christopher

#23 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Bernie, doing a rootkit or some other "deep" search for a bug may help. But, before doing that you might try something easier. Sometimes it's better to not use the windows version and try some freeware. I've used (and still have it installed) XXCOPY (http://www.xxcopy.com/) , it works fine, all the time. Make sure you read the "readme's" and follow the install instructions, especially this part:

"For Vista, Win7, Win8, and Server 2008 environments, make sure that
you open a DOS Box with the Administrator privilege to install the
XXCOPY program. The title bar of the console window should display
"Administrator:" at the top left corner of the window. Failing to
do so may divert the XXCOPY-related files into a virtualized system
directory that is not the desired location in the installation step."

Once this is installed, your problem should cease, although with computers this in not always a certainty. Cheers, rhs (aka gerry) :sign_welcome: {we need a bigger clown)

#24 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

Whoa, this may be the longest I've been off this site in a looong time! Sorry! ;) School is nuts right now, and when I throw in work and running around to different places running steam engines... well, I'm frazzled and a bit forgetful. :(

So, first question: I copy-and-pasted everything; I didn't know I needed to leave anything out. Here is what the file looks like:
Attached File  Install Me.txt (132.43K)
Number of downloads: 2

Of course, I didn't get to try anything, as the command box never opened long enough for me to do anything.

That XXCOPY program sounds interesting, is it easy to use? I assume that it replaces the Install.bat program entirely, or do you have to copy-and-paste command lines into it for everything to work?

#25 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

xxcopy is not the solution to any problem at all.
xcopy is working for the other 10,000 MSTS users, so will work on your computer.

I wonder whether the problem is route specific?

cheers

#26 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postengmod, on 19 October 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

xxcopy is not the solution to any problem at all.
xcopy is working for the other 10,000 MSTS users, so will work on your computer.

cheers

Can you explain the statement, please. I had much the same problem some months ago, applied the correction to the path, the batch.exe worked. Then a few weeks later batch.exe on another route wouldn't work ... the path was fine, everything seemed correct so it was recommended to try the free XXCopy. I downloaded it and it worked first time, and afterwords the Microsoft "Xcopy" worked also and it has not given me any trouble since. It appeared as if the downloaded XXcopy had "realigned all the digital switches" and I have not had a batch.exe problem since.(what if you are the 10,001 person??) Cheers rhs (aka gerry) ;) {we need a bigger clown)

#27 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 20 October 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Can you explain the statement, please. I had much the same problem some months ago, applied the correction to the path, the batch.exe worked. Then a few weeks later batch.exe on another route wouldn't work ... the path was fine, everything seemed correct so it was recommended to try the free XXCopy. I downloaded it and it worked first time, and afterwords the Microsoft "Xcopy" worked also and it has not given me any trouble since. It appeared as if the downloaded XXcopy had "realigned all the digital switches" and I have not had a batch.exe problem since.(what if you are the 10,001 person??) Cheers rhs (aka gerry) ;) {we need a bigger clown)

Hi Gerry,

I am not sure what you want me to explain? xcopy in the installme batch file has worked for a lot of people for more than 10 years.
If you are having a problem that it may be specific to your install.

You applied what correction to the path?

cheers

#28 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

View Postengmod, on 20 October 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Hi Gerry,
I am not sure what you want me to explain? xcopy in the installme batch file has worked for a lot of people for more than 10 years.
If you are having a problem that it may be specific to your install.
You applied what correction to the path?

cheers

First, I am not having the problem, Bernie is --- I was relating an experience that was in the past and solved. Rarely do I have problems with Install.bat or batch files in general. For "Reference to path" please see spiked post of May 30, 2013 MSTS and "Install.bat" problem . Yes I realize many people have no trouble with Microsoft Xcopy that comes with op system, however, when a person does have trouble and cannot seem to correct the problem or find what is specifically wrong in their system I recommended trying a freeware version called XXCopy (http://www.xxcopy.com/) which has been around since 1999 and rarely fails to work when someone cannot get the Xcopy command set that comes with windows to work. You probably know a lot more about this than I do. That's why I wondered about your terse statement that XXcopy wasn't the solution to any problem. Are you saying it doesn't work, not a substitute for Xcopy, or what? I just thought Bernie could use XXcopy instead of Xcopy to get his route installed until he could figure out what was "kafluey" with his system. Sometimes people do have trouble getting the install.bat function to work --- sometimes the problem is with the batch file they are trying to run, sometimes it is not. That's all. Cheers rhs (aka gerry) ;) {are these balloons filled with laughing gas?)

#29 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

I forgot to add one of the basic principles of batch files that I think is still true (if not, someone please correct it). You must be in the same directory as the file you are trying to run though... Or have the directory containing the .bat file listed in the PATH {right-click My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Environment Variables | System variables | Path | Edit} I know you can add new system variables .... can you have more than one PATH variable? Cheers, rhs (aka gerry) ;) { we need a bigger clown)

#30 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 21 October 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

I forgot to add one of the basic principles of batch files that I think is still true (if not, someone please correct it). You must be in the same directory as the file you are trying to run though... Or have the directory containing the .bat file listed in the PATH {right-click My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Environment Variables | System variables | Path | Edit} I know you can add new system variables .... can you have more than one PATH variable? Cheers, rhs (aka gerry) ;) { we need a bigger clown)

Hi Gerry,

Batch files can be run from anywhere.
In the case of installme.bat, it is always in the root directory of a route and meant to run from there.
There are 3 things that can go wrong with installme.bat:-

1. the 6 default routes are not installed,
2. the route that is currently being installed is not in the correct place,
3. the permissions are bad, meaning that the (vista, w7 or w8) install is in program files.

xxcopy will not fix any of these problems.

What is needed is to find the real problem without introducing any other variables.

cheers

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users