• You cannot reply to this topic

Route Install.Bat issue Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Bernie...I use the Route Utils tab to 1) confirm the route 2) Check Route....the app will ask if you want to check sound .... I just have it automatically repair (choose yes). Then it will process the route and find all the missing shapes .... by checking other routes/sources on your hard drive.... don't know how this works but it always finds missing shapes and copies them into route being confirmed. Then it finishes by showing a list of the work done, you can save the list at that point, especially if there are shapes not found or you want a record. The only "glitch" I have encountered is checking a route not intended to have a snow season... none of those shapes will be present.... so I choose no to replace those shapes. So I always go through the route docs/read mes for any information. Some of Paul Charlands routes are not intended to be run through route riter ... mucks them up somehow.

Funny thing how we find different programs to work with, I use ConBuilder for my engine, activity and consist work. Like to manually alias and tinker with engine files....now trying to master those. Can't quite figure out how route riter works in this aspect ... it does have a built-in consist editor and is great for generating lists of rolling stock and errors in a specific route or activity. But how all this fits together to fix problems ... I don't grasp as yet. Route Riter will not read loose consists with missing stock. ConBuilder will read any consist, loose or otherwise with missing stock... with loose consists a list is generated showing information on the missing stock. So I either open the consist file and manually make the entries (slow but makes for precise choices) or run the activity through ActivityMaster and let it automatically replace. Makes for some hilarious consists at times. In that instance I go back to manually fixing the specific consist. Cheers, rhs (aka gerry)

#12 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I can appreciate using only certain features of certain utilities, it reminds me of my phone. Yes, it can play some games, tweet, or access the internet, but I'll be darned if I know how to do these things (or care, frankly). :rolleyes:

I'll give Route Riter a try as you described later, thanks! ^_^ If things get mucked up I have everything backed up, so no harm or foul. ;)

#13 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Error time! :drinks: Every time I try to use Route Riter as explained above, I get a bunch of messages stating that file so-and-so is not decompressed, and thus cannot be processed. They all seem to be cars and trucks. Then a final error appears, which says "An error 52 Bad file name or number in subroutine 'CheckTrkForEnv' in C;\1MSTS\Routes\UK1\ please advise virtualtrains@optushome.com.au with details of operation being processes."

I can "retry" or cancel, but retrying loops the error message endlessly and "cancel" starts the whole thing over again.

:rotfl:

#14 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Bump :pardon:

It's been awhile, and I haven't so much as a nibble... so I'll ask again: I tried using Route Riter to fix this problem, but I get a bunch of messages stating that file so-and-so is not decompressed, and thus cannot be processed. They all seem to be cars and trucks. Then a final error appears, which says "An error 52 Bad file name or number in subroutine 'CheckTrkForEnv' in C;\1MSTS\Routes\UK1\ please advise virtualtrains@optushome.com.au with details of operation being processes."

I can "retry" or cancel, but retrying loops the error message endlessly and "cancel" starts the whole thing over again.

At this point, I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. That, or if there is anyone with this route who does have it running who wouldn't mind sending me the texture, shape, and sound folders (along with anything else that is suppose to be copied).

#15 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

I know this is probably a silly question, but does your MSTS install where your route is contain all five of the default MSTS routes?

Robert

#16 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

Bernie

The error 52 is a Windows error, but I cannot replicate it when checking UK1 with Route Riter. It runs to completion for me, but is unable to locate one ace file used for a hazard. Once I have that in place, it will be good to go.

#17 User is offline   c36dash7 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postrdamurphy, on 09 October 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

I know this is probably a silly question, but does your MSTS install where your route is contain all five of the default MSTS routes?Robert

Follow up : Another item . Yes, there is such a thing as an "European"... edition of MSTS . I cannot tell if such European edition, would be a 100% carbon copy, of the ones we were able to purchase North America .

As far as the "content" of the desired package, make no mistake that many Routes had shape files, ending up in the textures folder, and vice-versa, as the result of "automated" processes, to get a Route ready for releases .

Most likely, the instal.bat may function "erratically" depending upon an end user's hardware / software / O/S , etc... , and I do know for a fact , that, on my computer , such install.bat "messes things up", and requires me to go straight into the Route's folders, and "manually" fix some misfilings, and "manually", also, outright fetch the missing files from wherever they might be , and "manually" add those, to the Route just downloaded.

One last detail here . The Tutorial... MSTS / Kuju Route , has to be considered one of those "default" Routes . I read about that somewhere / cannot tell exactly why . Therefore, as far as "default" routes, "make it Six" ...'-)

Jean Brisson

#18 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hi everyone,

Sorry to reply slowly, I've barely been on the site recently. Lots of class work, along with regular work and whatnot. I'll probably be slow to respond as well, especially given that I'm going with a friend to Boothbay tomorrow to work on the railroad.

Anyway, I have all of the necessary routes installed in the correct folder. I agree that this is a Windows issue, which is why I have been looking for copies of the needed files. I don't know how to get around the Windows problems.

#19 User is offline   R H Steele 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Bernie, I can understand the frustration, I had almost the same problem with route rite, finally I ran it only to generate a list of the items it could not find, saved that list and went hunting myself to find and replace the files manually. Tedious process but it worked. Only ran had this problem happen once (cannot remember what route it was on --- want to say a european electric route) after my manual fix no further problems. Sorry I could not be more helpful. Cheers rhs (aka gerry) :blink: {if we can't get a bigger clown, how about more balloons?)

#20 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

A few times, I've done this shortcut:
I copied all the commands in the .bat file, then opened up the command line (cmd in the start menu) then pasted in all the commands and ran them that way. It took me a little work to figure out how to paste into the command line (I can't remember now how - google it, which is what I did), but then it worked perfectly.
Christopher

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users