Elvas Tower: Milwaukee Road Hide Service Car - Elvas Tower

No uploading is allowed here by anyone. That includes screenshots or other images. Any screenshot or image desired in any post must be hotlinked from an image hosting site(Photobucket, etc,) or existing topic in the main discussion forums.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Milwaukee Road Hide Service Car Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#21 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

@chris
Cool. Question then I suppose would be would there be any changes to the car between its original service and its hide service? at least visible on the exterior?

@CGW121
I hear that about the guys unloading... Still, I would agree the Railroads are any more likely to buy them Vapor Rub then anyone else, lol. Railroads were nothing if not consistent. Inside of a Dust Mask might work, if you leave all the filters (I'm thinking those big plastic Carpenter Masks) in place and add the Vapor rub (More like slather copiously) inside of it....

And you'd be amazed what a Damp cloth over your nose and mouth won't keep out smell wise, lol. I've found it much easier in some cases to proactively attack the air around me with a spray bottle (For small localized smells of course keep in mind, you're SoL for smells dominating large areas except to seek olfactory relief at a different location).

And I'd agree about people that buy or rent and awareness. My thing is, be as unaware as you want, but don't whine about the consequences later because you didn't know something and made no or little effort to discover it in the first place.

Falcus

#22 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostFalcus, on 05 August 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

And I'd agree about people that buy or rent and awareness. My thing is, be as unaware as you want, but don't whine about the consequences later because you didn't know something and made no or little effort to discover it in the first place.

Falcus

When I lived in Maple Park Illinois along the UP, I had a woman come to the door with a petition about getting the railroad to stop blowing their horns. I asked if when she was looking at the house she bought if she saw those big yellow things that went by and went beep beep. She said "Yes, but I didn't think it would bother me." I told her that her basic problem was that she didn't think. She did not like my reply.

#23 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

@Falcus: Unlike the Milwaukee Road car, which seems to have been given a coat of cheap gray paint, I think there was not change to the exterior of the CofG (or the C&O) car that I could see - except that it is stenciled "When empty, return to agent Spencer NC, and some more stenciling I can't read that may say something like hide service only". They didn't even seem to rate new paint.

Here's the image from the set of cars I did. The one in hide service is the upper left:
http://www.elvastowe...nshot&temp=3320

Christopher

#24 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

at the risk of hi-jacking this thread entirely lol....

@CGW121
Doesn't that just beat all when you see petitions like that? The united states has the highest vehicle mortality rate by at least twice over then any other "Modern" nation, and our fatalities at Railroad Crossing Gates is something like (Not exact, this is what I remember from OLS from YEARS ago) 3x higher then any other modern nation? And yet we get soccer moms that don't like a little horn blowing because they fell in love with the floor plan of their never mind that it was probably built by a Railroad or a Railroad employee so they could be right on top of or near the R.O.W.... So lets petition for less horn blowing! Isn't American society fascinating?

I used to live out near Covington Washington, which is right on the north side of the Former NP (Now BNSF) Mainline between Auburn WA and Stampede Pass (And the former MILW Mainline up to Snoqualamie Pass, which is now a bike trail from Renton, all the way over the pass, to Easton, runs just north of Covington through Maple Valley), and when BNSF reactivated the line to Stampede there was talk about things like this, even though there are precious few actual grade crossings at the time (I think theres more now, since they've done all the CRAZY development out there, but meh, w/e, I remember Covington, and all always will, as a berg with 2 gas stations a Bank, a Thurmans (Hardware store), a Johnnys (Supermarket), a Pharmacy and a Rax (Only fast food until you hit Kent, lol).

@Chris
Nice looking set of Cars there. Whats the File name? I'll go see if I haven't already DL'd it, lol

Falcus

#25 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

My uncle bought a house in Dallas (Plano), TX, and the realtor took them to see it later in the evening, when it was dark. There was a privacy fence in the back yard, and a detached garage leading to the alley. He and his ex never actually walked out to see the backyard, just viewed it through the patio door, and loved the house.

They never saw the BN tracks just on the other side of the privacy fence.

Until they moved in.

They had to put "lips" on all of the shelves, and latches on the cabinet doors or everything fell out. Trackspeed was 50 mph...

I, on the other hand, LOVED staying at my uncle's house!

Robert

#26 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

The CofG hide service boxcar and the others are part of this set:
http://www.elvastowe...0s-70s-boxcars/
Christopher

#27 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

View Postrdamurphy, on 05 August 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Using hides to make leather isn't "recycling". Except, perhaps, from the viewpoint of the bovine.

Actually I didn´t mean the hides being recycled, but the cars the hides travel in :lol:

Cheers, Markus

PS: Sorry for the late reply - 4 days on Holiday without anything worth being called an Internet Connection. Just on my mobile €€€€€ / $$$$$ :pardon:

#28 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

View Postrdamurphy, on 05 August 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Using hides to make leather isn't "recycling". Except, perhaps, from the viewpoint of the bovine.

Dave, the entire D&RGW narrow gauge car fleet is a good example. When a car wore out, the wooden portions were burnt, the steel parts recovered, and new wood used to make a new car.

Steel is one of the world's only 100% recyclable materials.

Robert

Just noticed this....

That was common practice. The PRR built about 40,000 XL class 36ft wood boxcars. When the word went out to retire them I read they were sent to Altoona, pushed out on a long tangent built for the purpose (in batches), pushed over and burnt. 40,000 boxcars burned. Amazing. And yeah, it was the easiest way to collect the metal.

#29 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:45 PM

That is what happened to most of the rolling stock on the small NG routes in Colorado, that and some just parked them out in fields and waited for local ranchers to come and get free barns and stables and storage sheds.

this thread is a topic I had never in 1000 years thought about. yet someone has to do everything that needs to be done...all of the time. Bassically there is no time off for someone everywhere thoughout history.

love the detail shared here. And the Accuracy which many of us pursue here relentlessley and with great enjoyment.

Chris :sign_thanks:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users