• You cannot reply to this topic

running on Horseshoe curve Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Good afternoon,

I just completed a run across the Horseshoe Curve route using OR. In short, I suspect that I will never run this route without OR; it's very resource intense and only by using OR can one really appreciate all that went into creating it. Initially, I learned that I could not resume using X1691. However, X1692 obtained by using SVN.

A questions comes to mind regarding the HUD - is there a way to interpret the Coupler Slack parameter that might be useful to locomotive handling? I see a number (can be negative or positive) followed by number of cars pushing and pulling. All of the parameters change in response to grade changes, etc.

A few other points that come to mind;

1) is there a set-up position for dynamic brakes?
2) mileposts on the track monitor would help.
3) the particular activity I was running included a restricted zone - this did not show up on the track monitor.
4) the water in creeks and rivers appeared gray.
5) the horn does not trigger the bell (though it is set to do so in the eng file).
6) the author of the route included dragging equipment detector messages that can be heard in MSTS but not OR. That was a bit strange as his flange squeal sounds on curves were audible.

None of the above points would keep me from using OR. However, their inclusion in subsequent versions can only make what is shaping up into a fine sim even better.

Gary

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi'ya Gary,

Open Rail's development will be in a state of flux for the next few years. Thanks for alerting the developers to these problems.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi Gary,

1) What do you mean here? When you hit the dyn.brake increase button once, it sets it up, and switches to 0% position. You can increase it only by the second hit. The same is true when you go down to 0%: You have to hit the button once again to shut the dyn.brakes down.

5) I may look into this, should be easy to fix. - Edit: fixed in r1694.

6) I would be interested in fixing this too. How these dragging equipment messages handled technically? (Anyway, what is a dragging equipment?) I mean, what is the content of sms file they are defined in? Is that attached to a car or is it just a scenery sound? And what is the download link of the route?

Peter

#4 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for replying, Bazza. I am more than happy with the way OR handled this route. I'm certain that the OR team will be able to address the issues (I wouldn't use the term "problem" to describe them) I mentioned. I hope that by mentioning some of these things, I can help the team in some way.

Again, many thanks to the OR team.

Gary

captain_bazza, on 30 July 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Hi'ya Gary,

Open Rail's development will be in a state of flux for the next few years. Thanks for alerting the developers to these problems.

Cheers Bazza

#5 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response.

Regarding my mention of the dynamic brake "set up"; I believe that you have answered my question. In MSTS, there is a position at which the heads-up message "dynamic brake set up," or words to that effect. I had considered that 0% DB might be the equivalent to "set up." You have confirmed that for me.

Many thanks for the X1694 fix.

The dragging equipment detector is triggered by the train passing over a trackside sensor, which then searches for any defects in the train, including anything that may be dragging. If the detector is triggered, the train is ordered to stop; if all is fine, a message stating that is broadcast. In either case, the milepost of transmitted. In fact, we use these messages, which can be monitored by scanner to locate trains when we are trackside. Relating to the route - the sound file is triggered when the player train activates the file at specific points over the route. I suppose that in this sense, it is a trackside sound, rather similar to the wheel flange squeal and road crossing gate sounds. The route is a freeware route; it's available from trainsim.com. Because it is freeware, I suppose I could attach the specific files if you think that would help.

Again, thanks very much for getting back to me.

Gary

gpz, on 30 July 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Hi Gary,

1) What do you mean here? When you hit the dyn.brake increase button once, it sets it up, and switches to 0% position. You can increase it only by the second hit. The same is true when you go down to 0%: You have to hit the button once again to shut the dyn.brakes down.

5) I may look into this, should be easy to fix. - Edit: fixed in r1694.

6) I would be interested in fixing this too. How these dragging equipment messages handled technically? (Anyway, what is a dragging equipment?) I mean, what is the content of sms file they are defined in? Is that attached to a car or is it just a scenery sound? And what is the download link of the route?

Peter

#6 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hi Garry,

Fortunately it is a freeware route, so I will download it. Given this, I think it is not necessary to attach the files, just please point me on what files I should check and/or what activity to start (where to explore route) to reproduce the issue on my computer. Thank you!

Peter

#7 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll be out of town until tomorrow night when I will get back to you with the file names and the name of the activity that I was running.

Gary

gpz, on 31 July 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Hi Garry,

Fortunately it is a freeware route, so I will download it. Given this, I think it is not necessary to attach the files, just please point me on what files I should check and/or what activity to start (where to explore route) to reproduce the issue on my computer. Thank you!

Peter

#8 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Gary, don't hurry at all, I will have no time for that for some days too! :pardon:

#9 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hi Peter,

Here's the file information for the dragging equipment detector messages;

NS_MP238.3.sms
NS_MP238.3.wav
NS_MP253.2.sms
NS_MP253.2.wav
NS_MP258.8.sms
NS_MP258.8.wav
NS_MP268.1.sms
NS_MP268.1.wav

The activity I was running was "NS 514," which is available from trainsim.com. It's a straightforward eastbound coal run. However, I have heard the detector messages in MSTS Explore mode.

Regards,

Gary

gpz, on 01 August 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Gary, don't hurry at all, I will have no time for that for some days too! :lol2:

#10 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

http://www.trainsim....=list&fid=14903

Theres some more i just unexpectedly found. meant for the Pocahontas route though.

Falcus

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users