• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dynamic Brake Backwards? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

After experimenting and trying to figure out why since ORTS 0.9 have dynamics been acting weak and weird, I came across and found out 2 factors what may be making dynamics not act proper and not it's original MSTS eng file speed curves being from MPH to Meter Seconds.

1. While having flipped units, dynamic brakes tend to be strong at the lowest notch but when increasing for more power they tend to get very weak depending on what units are strong that the flipped ones are actually making the dynamics act as if they are pushing the opposite for speed increase instead of decrease (sort of a feature for DPU or mid helpers pushing upgrade while the head end is braking down grade).

2. While having all units elephant forward they seam to be stronger then when I had flipped units but still seam weaker then before 0.9.

Been seeing this info in 0.9 new engine info f5 hud and am impressed with it as I feel I have found out how to blow a piston when units act overpowered messing up the rpm values if one does not pause at each notch giving time to load making some units with special tractive effort curves with the new parameter at certain speeds make units stay smoking hard that all we need is some flames to appear.

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

The dynamic brakes have a bug somewhere. Matej is aware and working on the problem.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

And what about the RPM Problem ATW mentions? I also once mentioned this, in another thread in "Maybe it´s a bug?", but so far - no answer. Seems like nobody noticed it...

Yours, Markus

#4 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi All-
Just to add more complication to the dynamic brake performance in X1680: it appears in my setup that some locos seem to work OK, while some do not.
I tried the dynamic brakes on solo and pairs of some locos at random:
default Dash 9 - did not work
Norfolk Southern GP59 - seem to be working
Norfolk Southern D9-40C -did not work
default GP38-2 - seem to be working

When I say "seem to be working" - I mean that the dynamic brakes definitely slowed the loco; in the other cases there was no apparent effect.
Does anyone else observe similar inconsistencies?

Sid P.

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, I do. Haven´t tried any Default stock yet, but on the non-Defaults I tried, I didn´t even get enough effort to Keep within the 30 MPH Limit on a 1 % downgrade with a B36-7, GP35, B39-8E and a GP9 helper and 50 cars (some 3730 tons for the whole Train; all locos have dynamics).

In MSTS I can handle this Train down that grade with Dynamics in notch 2, in OR V0.9 in notch 3, but now - the ammeter goes up and out of the scale until at one Point it can´t go higher, and in Dynamics notch 8, the Train still Speeds up?

Maybe some of the corrections to the internal control state handlers (or whatever the OR ptogrammers call it :oldstry: ) I remember having heard of before t x.1680 was released have produced These effects?

Cheers, Markus

PS: As I already mentioned in two oher threads now, this seems to be also linked to some weird behaviour when switching back to power again...

#6 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Don't know if this is still in the process of being found and fixed but I hope this is a helpful find of what is actually going on with the pics bellow.

While going power forward:
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1077880_445712158869747_1855811269_o.jpg

While in Dynamic Braking:
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1091036_445712128869750_183969709_o.jpg

#7 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

Hi,
thank you for the investigation. Running at power forward seems OK to me, even for flipped locomotives. If a locomotive is flipped, its force and speed are both negative numbers. Thus, power stays positive, since Power = Force x Speed. When using a dynamic brake, it should be as you pointed = there is a bug. I'll have a look at it.

Note: I don't know why your diesel shows zero fuel consumption. I'll take a care of it too.

Matej

EDIT: please check v1703 or later.

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

• Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Dynamics seem to be working OK now, with one question. What is controlling the dynamics low speed fade out.? The eng file says 3.5 but in practice this is happening at 8.5 ( working in mph ).

#9 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Yea I will check it out Matej, thank you.

Yea Copperpen, it's because ORTS is reading those fading and other speeds in MS instead of MPH as of before from 0.7-0.9.

#10 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Nice job Matej, both fuel consumption line and dynamic brake issues are working well and back how they should ;)

But one question no rush as I have my units set until OR development gets into fixing it with dynamic braking and speeds: Can ORTS use MPH or/and KPH instead of MS in the eng file parameters like they are supposed to read in MSTS?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users