• You cannot reply to this topic

Volume of sounds: mono versus stereo (since #1604) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hi,

In a recent topic, I evoked some strange effects when using mono-channel cab sounds. I tried to build a simple test bed to expose this point. This appears to be less straightforward than I expected. But on the way, I found a far more obvious "issue": it relates with the volume of mono-channel versus stereo-channel sounds.
Before revision #1604 (and with MSTS), using a stereo or mono sound in a cabview SMS resulted in a comparable volume (assuming that the stereo and mono WAV files are "normalized", and that the volume declared in the SMS file are the same).
Since revision #1604, the volume we get with a stereo sound file is much louder than the volume we get with the equivalent mono sound file.
This results in a very different balancing of the cab sound and "environmental" sounds (track, AI trains, crossings, ... ).
I build a specific Kiha-based diesel engine to reproduce. It contains two engine files and accompanying SMS and WAV files: the first engine file makes use of stereo cab sounds. The second one makes use of equivalent mono sounds. Running the same activity with either of the two vehicles exposes the issue.
Please let me know if I should log a defect.

Regards

#2 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Thank you, I will take a look on it.

#3 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hi GPZ,

Sorry, I did not visit the forum last week.
I just logged this as bug #1193823. The record contains the URL of a small archive to expose the issue.

Regards

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users