• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beta 1624 is very unstable on this system Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

David, I'm glad I could solve this crash too. I just tried to fix the static feeling sound in r1632, because I heard that sometimes as well. But looks like it solved your crashes too! :) I close your bug report #1186774 then too.

Please keep in mind that now with utilizing OpenAL Soft one can set the number of sound sources wants to be available, by downloading the file alsoftrc.sample, renaming that to alsoft.ini, and copying to %AppData% folder. (That is usually C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming ) Then this file needs to be opened by a text editor, and in line "#sources = 256" the # mark has to be removed, and the value can be changed to any number. You might increase it to 1536 or 2048, and check if the game is still stable.

#12 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just an explanation, why the sound sources may run off so quickly for long trains: I took a suggession of Eldorado.Railroad in bug ticket #1140853 of leaving player consist's sound in memory even if they are out of scope, to speed up sound reloading when switching between views #2 and #3. This sounded like a good idea, it looked like it helps in handling of very long trains. But in real life the exact opposite happened. So I will consider removing this "feature" in one of my following commits.

#13 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hi,

Thanks GPZ for the fixes.
Nevertheless, I think that there is a remaining issue, which is more a sound rendering one (stability looks good now): we still get strange effects, apparently when the cab sound make use of mono SMS streams and WAV sound files (using stereo for cab sounds is a possibility in MSTS but is not mandatory: many german loks make use of mono cab sounds). As usual, I will try to insulate a simple test bed, and to back track the revision where the problem is forst exposed (revision #1603 was still OK, but I think the problem appeared in a leter revision in fact).

Regards

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users