• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 8 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ACY4FR 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

I have run MSTS for years on Windows XP, but I think Microsoft is tampering with it to force me to upgrade to a newer system. Has anyone used MSTS with Windows 8? Does it work OK?

#2 User is offline   Phil Voxland 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

So far with an ATI radeon graphics card I have not been able to run MSTS although Open Rails is fine. I am thinking of swapping in an Nvidia based video card.

#3 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Good lord Phil, long time no see! :oldstry:

Now why would a ATI card affect MSTS? Weren't older machines with Win2k, Vista, XP and ATI video able to run MSTS?

Best I can say ACY4FR is Windows7 is pretty good so far. From what I hear of Windows 8, it's geared more for the cel phone tablet crowd. I'm sure eventually one won't be able to buy a PC or laptop without it.
But I'd say a good progression from XP would be to Win7 for now.

#4 User is offline   Phil Voxland 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi, Yes, I'm a fairly silent observer to the Open Rails Development group.

On other forums (MSTS, UK Trainsim) others have also reported the Windows 8 / ATI (AMD) problem. I expect it's somehow a driver issue, perhaps even when MSTS is trying to establish the graphics systems being used. (The program installs from the CD's ... well I had some troubles there, but that's another story).

So, since I suggested that NVIDIA cards probably work, I ran out today and bought one (GX 650) EVGA. I just finished getting it installed, and I can report that MSTS is starting up normally now with the NVIDIA and latest drivers. I have tweaking yet to do, though. So on an otherwise identical hardware and Operating system the NVIDIA swap got MSTS rolling again.

Why Windows 8? Well because it's there, and because I still do some tech support and thought I should get acquainted with the look and feel of Windows 8. Short answer: Stick with 7 even on new setups. I have 8 configured so it more or less resembles the Classic WIndows 7 desktop from the get go.

In the past, I have had two desktops one with NVIDIA, one with ATI / AMD because I found the 3D Canvas was sensitive card and drivers revisions, so much so that to at least be able to continue modeling, it helped to have an alternative.

These aren't very high end systems either.

--- Phil

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hi'ya Phi, thank you for the helpful information and it's good to see you back again.

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Got to tell my latest mishap which has me flabbergasted at MSTS on Windows. Quick background - had a big Dell XPS lappy before. Dang MSTS kept crashing on me, and figured it was too much scenery or poly's in the AI consists etc. Would take out and delete items, and MSTS would run a bit better for a while, then back to it's old crashing. Turns out it was th internal video card literally baking itself. So had to rush out and buy a new lappy. Picked up this cheap Acer with Win7, and figured it would tie me over till something better comes by. Like it more now than I ever did the Dell. So MSTS is running great on it, tweeing and twiddling galore. Then my GTA route starts acting up. Oh-oh, must've put in one too many buildings somewhere? Start taking things out, GTA get's worse. Huh? Must be a problematic consist or worse - a corrupted S file somewhere in the midst RR and TrainStore et al aren't picking up? Other routes though worked fine. And consists from GTA as well. Ran the GTA through the Sound Diagnostics window - it's okay there? A couple of SMS errors, but nothing major. Fixed those, and act crashes now soon as it opens in MSTS. What the....?

Long story short, I opened MSTS with the Train.exe in the folder - GTA runs as smooth as a bell now! So it was all down to the dang desktop icon! :oldstry: But so strange why it butchered my GTA route so bad, but others like Mactier, Paul Charlands, and ones of considerable size and intensity ran fine. So creating a shortcut of the Train.exe and deleting the desktop icon for it - ALL is running well again.

So goes to show one can NEVER know with MSTS. One fly in the ointment can really gunk up the works sometimes. :pardon:

#7 User is offline   ACY4FR 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think my best option is this: I have an older desktop PC with an excellent graphics card. I will erase the harddrive, load Windows XP and MSTS, and use this as a dedicated train sim computer. I can download addons from my laptop and use a flashcard to transfer files. As long as I don't connect this computer to the internet, I don't think Microsoft can mess with it.

#8 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I believe you'll still only have 30 days to register, internet or not, before the OS shuts down on you.
There is an 800 or 888 number to call.

:ranting:

#9 Inactive_jackle_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

i hate when they force you to register a game flight simulator x wont let you play the full game until you've registered the game online and sometimes its a real pain :spiteful:

#10 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postjackle, on 04 March 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

i hate when they force you to register a game flight simulator x wont let you play the full game until you've registered the game online and sometimes its a real pain :thumbup3:

There are ways around registration ... I personally never register anything, although I DO have all the bought-and-paid-for licences. I just refuse to participate in this registration circus, out of principle.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users