Elvas Tower: Signalling documentation - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signalling documentation Introduction to rules of new signalling rules in OR Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

The "new signalling" was introduced in OR in experimental version X1395.
Attached is a preliminary document explaining various rules introduced with this new signalling concept.
I hope this helps to answer some of the questions raised during the last few days.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

Attached File  signalling_operational.pdf (78.77K)
Number of downloads: 498

#2 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hi Rob,
I read your document and got an idea about the complexity of what you have implemented. There are many fine things. My compliments! I think specific points about the implementation will come out when people will start developing activities. I however would like to point out an issue that wondered me a bit: you write
"If a lower speedlimit was in force due to a limit set by another signal, the allowed limit is set to
that as defined by the speedpost.
If a speedpost sets a limit which is higher than that set by the last signal, the limit set by the
signal is overruled and the allowed limit is set to that as defined by the speedpost."
I am not sure to have understood the first sentence (because it seems me to say the same as the second sentence).
About the second sentence, at least here in Italy (but I think also in other countries) the speed limit is set to the lower one between that set by the signal and that sent by the speedpost, independently from their location sequence in the route. To make a standard example, if I have a speedpost raising line maxspeed to 180 Kph and before of it I had a signal requesting 30 Kph (because next signal is red), the speed limit should remain to 30 Kph and should not be raised to 180 Kph. Or did I misunderstand your sentence?

Second point: I read
"At waiting points, the AI trains will stop at the next stopping position, i.e. short of the next
switch or next signal. Any signal beyond the waiting point is kept at danger until the required
departure time."
What about the AI path beyond the signal kept at danger because of a waiting point? I think the path should be not set before signal clearance, therefore allowing other trains to use track sections beyond that signal. In a practical case however it seemed to me that this was not the case, and my player train got an emergency braking because it tried to pass a crossover located beyond that signal set at danger.

Thank you and kind regards

Carlo

#3 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hello Carlo,

thanks for your comment.

First about the speed limits.
The problem is that there are two situations where a signal can apply a speed limit :
  • speed limit due to restrictive aspect at next signal.
    This speed limit appplies upto the next signal.
  • speed limit due to speed restriction on route set ahead.
    If this is a junction or cross-over, the speed restriction only applies until the end of the train has cleared the restrictive section.

The problem is that it is not possible to make a distinction between these two types in the signal definition.
So a choice had to be made. If the speed limit would apply to the next signal, it would be right for the first item, but wrong for the second. If the speed limit would only apply to the next speedpost, it would be wrong for the first item, but right for the second. Without distinction, it is not possible to get both situations correct.
It was decided to favor the second item. This is wrong for the first, but at least it does not pose unrealistic limitations on running the train. If I had chosen for the first item, there would have been a speed restriction for the second situation upto the next signal, forcing the train to keep to a low speed where it could and should have been able to resume normal speed (this situation often occurs on USA1 route when using cross-overs). I know it is wrong for the first item, but it is the least bad of the two options.

As for your second point : the route beyond the signal should be available to other trains. If not, something's wrong.
You know where to find me.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#4 User is offline   nicober 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hello Rob!

I read carefully your signaling_operational documentation for OR. A great work, this is awesome, thank you very much.

I think it's an important documentation to understand how the OR simulation work with player train and other AI trains. For the benefice of the french communauty who support OR develpment, I translate your document in french language. Many french people don't understand englih correctly and it's very frustrating for these people to follow this new signalisation. For this reason, I ask you the permission to publish a translation in french of your document also accompanied by the original englih version.
If my translation is not so clear, peaple can be refer to the original english version to compare.

If you accept, these documents will be available on the ASW forum as soon as possible, when I'll finish the tranlation.

Best regards

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

View Postnicober, on 09 February 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

Hello Rob!

I read carefully your signaling_operational documentation for OR. A great work, this is awesome, thank you very much.

I think it's an important documentation to understand how the OR simulation work with player train and other AI trains. For the benefice of the french communauty who support OR develpment, I translate your document in french language. Many french people don't understand englih correctly and it's very frustrating for these people to follow this new signalisation. For this reason, I ask you the permission to publish a translation in french of your document also accompanied by the original englih version.
If my translation is not so clear, peaple can be refer to the original english version to compare.

If you accept, these documents will be available on the ASW forum as soon as possible, when I'll finish the tranlation.

Best regards

Hello Nicober,

thanks very much!

Rob Roeterdink

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users