• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Train.exe memory switch use of command line memory switch Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

I've never had to run MSTS as an Administrator, or even set it that way to get it to work correctly. Of course, it's outside the program file folders as well.

Interstingly enough, TGATool wouldn't save files unless I started running it as an Administrator - even though I'm running Win7 as an administrator.

But my question is... If I use the -mem switch with the fssa and anistropic switches, what should it look like?

Robert

#22 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

This brings up an old question for me. I use XP. Some months ago (probably closer to a year now) I was making some shortcuts for MSTS mini-routes etc. and suddenly if I used mem:1024 the sim would no longer run. This is with NO space between the : and 1024. By experimenting I found that the maximum I could put in was 963?? If I leave a space between the : and nnnn I can use 1024.
With no space and 1024 I click the shortcut and the hour glass pops up for a second and then the computer just sits there and the sim never starts.

#23 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Joseph, that;'s what I needed to hear. :sweatingbullets:

#24 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

View Postrdamurphy, on 29 January 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

But my question is... If I use the -mem switch with the fssa and anistropic switches, what should it look like?

Just tack them all together:
train.exe -mem:1024 -fsaa -anisotropic -vm:w -timeacceleration -skipsizecheck -skipbiascheck

View Postspud, on 30 January 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Some months ago (probably closer to a year now) I was making some shortcuts for MSTS mini-routes etc. and suddenly if I used mem:1024 the sim would no longer run. This is with NO space between the : and 1024. By experimenting I found that the maximum I could put in was 963?? If I leave a space between the : and nnnn I can use 1024.

I can't tell you why it wasn't working as expected for you when using it correctly (no spaces!), but by adding that space you're malforming the switch and MSTS is likely just ignoring it. You could start train.exe -thisisgibberish and MSTS would ignore it just like it would ignore train.exe -mem: 1024. It might see -mem and 1024 as separate arguments, or see " 1024" as not a valid number since a space character isn't a digit and it's not smart enough to trim that off.

How much physical RAM does your computer have? Does your computer have a dedicated graphics card or is it on the motherboard?

#25 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

jovet,
I run XP SP3 with 2gigs of memory and have dual NVIDIA 7800 dedicated video cards. Dell XPS 600.
I agree that with a space in the mem switch it is probably ignoring the 1024. The switch without any space and 1024 worked fine for all the time I started using it after installing BIN until one day it just quit as I said. I determined that with no space after the mem:xxxx the largest number that would allow MSTS to start and run was 963, a rather strange number. I have no idea why and this is the case with my normal MSTS install and the seven mini-routes I have.

Thanks for replying to my question, I have asked it more than once on different forums in the past and never had a reply prior to this.

#26 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

View Postspud, on 08 February 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

jovet,
The switch without any space and 1024 worked fine for all the time I started using it after installing BIN until one day it just quit as I said. I determined that with no space after the mem:xxxx the largest number that would allow MSTS to start and run was 963, a rather strange number. I have no idea why and this is the case with my normal MSTS install and the seven mini-routes I have.

That is a bit odd. Have you updated your graphics drivers prior or since? Windows Updates can sometimes cause strange aberrations in behavior, but then again so can malware. Hmmm...

#27 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Joseph,
as far as the graphic driver updates the answer is yes from NVIDIA itself. I am running 296.10 now. Windows Updates are done periodically as well but if there were any graphic driver updates from Windows Updates I'm not positive on that point.
Although I doubt it has anything to do with the mem switch problem I normally use Route Riter to disable most of the Routes installed in MSTS but for some reason the GN-Hi Line route will not disable. I check the box and update but when I start MSTS the Hi-Line is still active.

#28 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

Nvidia has newer drivers as of a few months ago. 3 something. I'm using those, Spud.
I'm also using a 2048 mem switch and everything is working well on my XP Pro w/SP3 machine.

:wallbash:

#29 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

View Postthegrindre, on 08 February 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Nvidia has newer drivers as of a few months ago. 3 something. I'm using those, Spud.
I'm also using a 2048 mem switch and everything is working well on my XP Pro w/SP3 machine.

:wallbash:

Rick,
I know about the newer drivers from NVIDIA but as they seem to make problems for my FSX install I reverted to these older drivers which are less than a year old if I recall. The problem with the mem switch started previous to these drivers and has been a PITA for probably the past year at least.

#30 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

FWIW, NVIDA most recent drivers for the 7800 GPU are 307.74 but other than being compatible with the 7000 series I do not see anything they improve for these old GPU's. In addition:

"Legacy Support Notification: GeForce 6-series and GeForce 7-series GPUs will be moved to legacy support after GeForce R304 drivers (304.xx to 309.xx). GeForce R310 drivers will not support these products."

quote from NVIDIA site.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users