• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Train.exe memory switch use of command line memory switch Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_torque_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

A question for experienced MSTS users. How many of you use the -mem command line switch when running MSTS? If you do, what value do ypu use? 512? 1024? more? Do you find the sim is more stable? Any downsides to using this switch? I have only recently discovered this switch, in connection to running the Surfliner2 route, where it does seem to help.

David

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Yes, I use -mem:1024.
Yes, it is more reliable.

cheers
Derek

#3 Inactive_torque_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for your reply. I gather this is worthwhile so I will go ahead and setup all my MSTS desktop shortcuts (for my mini routes) using this switch. I haven't come across any downsides to doing this.

David

#4 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Because I'm on a pretty powerful W7 laptop, I use mem:2048. Runs pretty well, and the only spot it bogs down on is where I flooded the Cuesta Grade with Ron Picardi's house shapes.

#5 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I thought MSTS had a ceiling of 1024, anything beyond that MSTS wouldn't recognize? Have you tried the Cuesta Grade at a 1024 setting? Be interesting to see if that improves it for you, no change, or worsens it?
I'll try the 2048 myself now, as GTA has been a PITA lately. :oldstry:

#6 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I use the 1024 setting and have found the sim to be more stable doing so. I too thought MSTS was limited to 1024 and I have not noticed any improvements with higher settings.

#7 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

WOW! I guess that's something I forgot to do after I reinstalled MSTS and all. I had my setting at 1024 before and all ran smooth. But one of those things I forgot to do on reinstall. It had ran fine until I added some buildings and extra AI action, then all this hangs and crashes started happening. So I thought it must be too many poly's or something, and have been madly trying to reduce unnecessary gantries and such with treelines et al in hopes to reduce object/polycount. Yet, the more I took out, the worse MSTS performance got? But changing it to 2048 and trying this act I made that had been giving me so much grief - smooth as a bell now. So not sure still if MSTS is regarding 2048 or is maxed at 1024 still. Either way, it helps most definitely! Thanks for the reminder guys! :oldstry:

#8 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I understand that 1024 is max, also. It's what I use, too.
Too bad the BIN didn't do something about that. ;)

:oldstry:

#9 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

View Postthegrindre, on 17 January 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

I understand that 1024 is max, also. It's what I use, too.
Too bad the BIN didn't do something about that. ;)

:oldstry:

Wouldn't that have been nice!

#10 User is offline   charlie 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostNoisemaker, on 17 January 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

So not sure still if MSTS is regarding 2048 or is maxed at 1024 still. Either way, it helps most definitely! Thanks for the reminder guys!

Most folks have gotten an erroneous view of the memory switch by reading the myths on places like trainsim.com. There is no 1024 "max". By invoking 1024 in the mem switch, you will not directly get 1,024 m assigned to "train.exe". You can easily demonstrate this to yourself by having Task Manager/Resource Monitor open when you fire up MSTS, then Alt-Tab to them from time to time.

You really have to work MSTS hard to get the memory assigned to approach anywhere near 1,024 m. Initial conditions for most routes may surprise you when you see such low initial mem assignments, so here's a couple of examples of fairly demanding routes. The first number is no mem switch, the second is either 1024 or 2048 (more on that later).

One point to make is that the place chosen to start can greatly affect initial assignment.
SeaView5 - 261 m, 351 m
Surfliner2+CajonPass Merge - 343 m, 549 m

What you will notice then is that mem assigned will increase as you work the route; sometimes a little, sometime markedly. I picked those two routes to talk about since in both I can exceed 1024 provided that the mem switch is set to 2048.

For SV5 I have an ITR that tours the whole thing and takes about 3.5 hours. The assigned memory climbs above 1200. A few times it has reached 1251, and that's the kiss of death on my machine (hard lockup, but I can get to Resource Monitor). So far I have not been able to push the "Surfing to Barstow" route to the killed condition.

As far as I can tell, those are the only two routes I have that actually use part of a setting of 2024. I just leave it in place, since with any operating systems from Vista onward with their better memory management, it surely does no harm...

regards,
charlie

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users