• You cannot reply to this topic

Debugging Msts Aborts Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:05 PM

What I mean by preloading is to force the sim to do the disk read files well in advance of when they are actually needed. This can be done by placing objects well under ground in the tile or tiles ahead of where the objects will display.

It only makes sense to do when you can take advantage of fairly empty tiles that are close to congested ones... or tiles that are used as start points for many scenarios as then the cost of reading is borne by either by a fairly empty tile or the scenario initialization phase where you don't care about the extra delay.

One could even get fancy and preload just the textures: create a long cube or flat plane and texture a small part of it w/ a part of a big texture. Repeat w/ another texture in another spot. The cube itself will slowly increase it's poly count as you add more textures, but it's a small number of polys compared to placing the actual objects. The sim is going to see it has a lot of textures to load for this object and so you pay the disk price to get them but as the shape is trivial the burden on the video card to figure out what to do is trivial. And texture files are often much larger than objects. When you move down the line to the next load points, most of the disk work has already been done.

#12 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hello Dave, and others from 2007,

I'm attempting to install Process Monitor, as you suggested to me in another post. By the way, the above download link is broken, but I was able to find it here.

When I click on the .exe file, from the zip, I got an error message about allocating sufficient memory. I have a screenshot attached. Well, I was going to attach it, but for some reason that isn't an option for me right now. The message reads: "procmon was unable to allocate sufficient memory. Try increasing the size of your page file."

I searched on google for that, but didn't find anything helpful. One suggested enabling ASLR, but research on that reveals that my XP machine probably doesn't have that anyway.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

James

#13 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

No idea. Some years a go I did run this utility on xp but perhaps the version you obtained recently is only for Win7 (I cannot think of any other reason offhand why it would not work).

Good luck!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users