• Group: Fan: Narrow Gauge Nuts
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=1553
File Name: D&RGW Derrick OP
File Submitter: bpratt
File Submitted: 23 Dec 2012
File Category: NG Flatcars

Derrick OP was made in 1911 by the D&RG, as a conversion of a high side gondola. It was equipped with both standard gauge and narrow gauge trucks, and had a wooden boom. In 1920 it was rebuilt with a steel boom and a reinforced body.

It had a two drum steam engine with steam coming from an attached locomotive. One engine drum raised the boom and the other raised the hook, while gravity lowered both. The engine also swung the boom with ropes running through pulleys in the A frame and attached to the boom. Outriggers were installed to prevent the car from tipping sidewise. Work flat 06063 was assigned as a “boom car” for the boom to rest on when not in use, and to carry a 16’ boom extension.

In 1970 it was obtained by the Cumbries and Toltec Scenic RR and is presently (as of this upload) going through a complete rebuild by the Friends of the Cumbries and Toltec. This rebuild includes all new wood for the frame and cab, and restoring the steam engine to operating condition.

This model was built from plans by Ken Pruitt published in A Century + Ten of D&RGW Narrow Gauge Cars, 1871 to 1981 by Robert Sloan. This data was supplemented by pictures and measurements taken by myself during several visits. Several years ago I had the honor of spending a week working on OP doing temporary repairs to keep it going until it’s later rebuild.

This model was built by a team of three people. Howard Saunders did the physics adjustments, lettering, and file compression, Derek Miller performed the Beta testing, and I nailed a couple of boards together. In addition to doing the physics, Howard Saunders spent many nights (and gained several grey hairs) setting up the model so the boom would swing to stay with the boom car. I could not have finished it without his assistance. Howard also supplied the screenie.

To install this car, download the zip file to a location of your choice, unzip it, and copy the folders to your Trainset folder. When creating consists, install the Boomcar, then the Derrickcar, then insert the BoomAssy between them.

Hope you guys enjoy running it as much as I did making it. Bill

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I was behind getting it installed through the holiday. Very nice and a great addition. Thank you Bill and team. I do have one question not being familiar with the car, I assume someone had to be inside to operate the drums, wouldn't they need some kind of window to view the boom?

#3 User is offline   bpratt 

• Conductor

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

View Posthiball3985, on 26 December 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

I was behind getting it installed through the holiday. Very nice and a great addition. Thank you Bill and team. I do have one question not being familiar with the car, I assume someone had to be inside to operate the drums, wouldn't they need some kind of window to view the boom?

Didn't see your inquiry until now, or would have answered sooner. OP had a two man crew. The operator sat in a small seat to the right of the cable drums facing the boom The body had open sides and front, so no windows were needed. If you look close at the model, there is a small seat and a couple of hand levers and a couple of foot pedals for the operator. The other man was a fireman who would usually be standing by the boiler.

Hope this answers your question, Bill

#4 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Thank you Bill, no problem with the late reply. I think I understand your description of the front and sides being open but for some reason mine has solid walls on all sides and I can't see any seat or levers.I wonder what went wrong with mine? Sorry, it won't allow me to add a picture to this post.

Jim

#5 User is offline   bpratt 

• Conductor

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

View Posthiball3985, on 26 January 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

Thank you Bill, no problem with the late reply. I think I understand your description of the front and sides being open but for some reason mine has solid walls on all sides and I can't see any seat or levers.I wonder what went wrong with mine? Sorry, it won't allow me to add a picture to this post.

Jim

Jim, I can't imagine why yours would have solid walls, Can you see the cable drums and the boiler? It should look like the screenie in the download section.

Bill

#6 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

View Postbpratt, on 29 January 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

Jim, I can't imagine why yours would have solid walls, Can you see the cable drums and the boiler? It should look like the screenie in the download section.

Bill
Bill, The screenie in the download section only shows the rear of the car. I can't see any boiler or drums, I don't know what I did wrong? I will post a picture in the General modeling section if you would be kind enough to look at it for me.

Jim

#7 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

The front wall is solid in the progess shot of the post below.

Another Derrick OP Shot

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users