Varied ENG/WAG Sound Volume Fix Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

View Postamtrakconductor, on 10 September 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

PS: while I'm thinking about it, I have a signal question. Since I'm still fairly new here, where do I go, or who, how do I address that?

If it is related to signalling in MSTS or ORTS in general (IE, for example, how to set up a signalling system), start a new topic in either the route building (only if it really has to do with developing a new route) or MSTS (general questions) subforums of ET. If you are inquiring about an incompatibility issue of a signalling script that works in MSTS, but not in ORTS, please post it in the ORTS subforum´s Maybe It´s A Bug section (start a new topic).

Don´t worry too much about posting in the wrong place. This forum is here to enjoy your spare time on. If there´s something wrong with where you post something, for example, there´s still us moderators and admins to move things around and let you know about it.

Cheers, Markus

#12 User is offline   amtrakconductor 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostNoisemaker, on 16 December 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Just helping Bernie out here with some sound issues he's having, and probably a good idea to point this one aspect out to others that may have a issue as well.

In the SMS, sometimes a volume line can be inserted in the parenthesis of say the horn/whistle section, or other sections of engine sounds to boost or lower volume of that particular sound. What Kuju did was make the ceiling Volume (1.0) - which by audio standards is 0db. And in layman's terms 'full blast'. ;)

I've come across a few SMS to Engines and such, where someone tried desperately to boost say a horn or whistle sound by going Volume (1.5) What happens in this case then is from the cab, the horn will be loud, but still sound no different than (1.0) When you do a external camera view or headout, you'll hear the Mono wav of that whistle or horn, and whatever volume and quality it's set at. Now coming back into the Cabview and playing the horn/whistle again - it will sound incredibly quiet. Or 'half' it's volume. So basically MSTS is hopping from Volume (1.0) to Volume (0.5) when toggled with camera views. Next headout and return, volume should return to being louder - but still not loud enough. :good:

So if you're experiencing this on any of your goods, it's best to open those SMS in Note/Wordpad and check those Volume lines then and make sure they all read a maximum of ( 1.0 ) and nothing higher. (Lower is okay IE; ( 0.9 ) or ( 0.6 ) or similar )

For best results, WAV's themselves should be handled by good audio ediors and made to be 'Normalized' or leveled to 0db. Yet for some sounds, this can still not be quite enough in volume. Some editors may go beyond 0db - which is good in small increments. But starts introducing 'clipping' and/or distortion. So be careful in that regard as well. I have tools that can go well beyond, and keep the WAV relatively clean and distortion free, which I'll gladly help anyone with their sounds with if they're in a jam and a pickle. ;)

I've always wanted to try to clean up sounds, but really don't have much knowledge how to go about that. I know you need a good sound editor and forget "looping" - I get really lost there. Is there a tutorial perhaps anywhere that I could d/l or read to step by step the desired results?
Thanks.
Wes

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users