Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Columbia Gorge. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:58 AM

I know that there are a few here that have driven the interstate from Portland through to Idaho. I remember this highway, Interstate 80N, when I lived in Portland in the 70's, very well. I worked a field service job that kept me in my car, and in hotels all over the Northwest. I traveled through the Columbia Gorge as many as 3 or 4 times a week for over 2 years. I am really pleased and amazed with how well Cal has reproduced this area. I always had my eyes out for trains when I drove the area and taking a few spins on this layout have sparked a lot of memories of trips through the area.
I am heading west, and Mt Hood is seen in the distance, just like it is in real life. I think, in Oregon that this means it is going to rain. If you can't see Mt Hood, it already is raining..

Attached Image: scrgrb2.jpg

Attached Image: scrgrb5.jpg

Bill

#2 Inactive_calr_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:04 PM

Great shots, Bill. I haven't tried Kosmos, but from the screenshots I've seen, I don't like what it does to the water. In your shots, the water looks like surf on the beach. I guess I'll have to download a copy and try it. I have Environment Control but don't use it on CG because the area around the south end of the spillway on The Dalles Dam. There is a tile boundary that goes diagonally through the corner of the dam. I used flat panel water objects to simulate multiple water heights in the same tile. Unfortunately, neither Environment Control or Kosmos is equipped to change the textures on these water panels.

#3 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:29 PM

calr, on Feb 2 2004, 08:04 PM, said:

Great shots, Bill.  I haven't tried Kosmos, but from the screenshots I've seen, I don't like what it does to the water.  In your shots, the water looks like surf on the beach.  I guess I'll have to download a copy and try it.  I have Environment Control but don't use it on CG because the area around the south end of the spillway on The Dalles Dam.  There is a tile boundary that goes diagonally through the corner of the dam.  I used flat panel water objects to simulate multiple water heights in the same tile.  Unfortunately, neither Environment Control or Kosmos is equipped to change the textures on these water panels.

I still have to dig into Kosmos.. From what little I have browsed through the help file, I have the understanding that you can set up custom environments for route. I do agree that the water looks like surf in the screenshots. This is supposed to be a windy, rainy day in the autumn. I have seen whitecaps on the Columbia, but not like what this Kosmos environment shows... If you take a look at one of Tim Muir's shots in the Out of the Kosmos thread , you will see a candy cane effect on the water on his route...

I am going to dig into Kosmos in more depth, probably tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Who knows, we might get lucky and have a visit from Hawk and he can discuss these water related issues. I know that water textures and water in general has always been a thorn in the side of anyone working with any route design...

Bill

#4 User is offline   Cherokee 

• Apprentice

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:16 PM

Actually you can get water that looks more realistic than this shot. You can set it up pretty much to look like you want it, especially now with the uploads from Sky Conductor as addons to Kosmos. You can mix and match. But I do agree, this looks more like the California coast surf rather that what it is supposed to represent.
By the way, Cal, excellent looking route from the pics I have seen. Will have to get it soon and look at the entire route.

#5 Inactive_wpfan_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:29 PM

I think I'm going to have to download this one. I used to drive the Salt Lake City to Portland corridor on I-84 so this should be familiar territory.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users