• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A couple of screenshots Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

More wonderful shots Claus.:censored2:

I'm guessing the difference in the shots has something to do with the field of vision setting. I haven't tried playing around with that so I don't have first hand knowledge of how it works. It's like your shot, Dave, was taken with a wide angle lens and Claus' was taken with a telephoto lens. There was a thread about this here at ET recently as I recall.

The other thing about Claus' shots is the overall richness of the color, the warm, soft tone and yet still sharp images. I would love to get my PC screen to look like that. Again, probably need to play around with various settings. Maybe we can get Claus to give us some lessons.:sign_oops:

Best,

Paul :pardon:

#32 User is offline   SDCW 4300 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

The buildings on this route are phenomenal! The level of detail and use of textures is really pleasing to the eye and quite realistic! I'm sure Claus' screenshots enhance this as well!

I curious, some of the buildings have quite a bit of 3D to them and wonder how many polys they come to? With this many detailed buildings what is the frame rate and object count looking like?

What ever, they may be, keep it up! This is going to be fantastic route when its done, heck it already is!

John T

#33 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostSDCW 4300, on 13 March 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

The buildings on this route are phenomenal! The level of detail and use of textures is really pleasing to the eye and quite realistic! I'm sure Claus' screenshots enhance this as well!

I curious, some of the buildings have quite a bit of 3D to them and wonder how many polys they come to? With this many detailed buildings what is the frame rate and object count looking like?

What ever, they may be, keep it up! This is going to be fantastic route when its done, heck it already is!

John T

First, it's an Open Rails route and so measuring things is a bit different than what you would do for MSTS.

Object count on the busy tile is around 2000. I know from experience that the route editor can place at least 2700 per tile before it starts to have problems (and I do know how to get around that to place even more). 99% of the time I use generic textures, not model specific textures, and reuse them on many models. I prefer to use a texture scaling of 512 pixels to cover 6-10 feet. The produces a very high clarity skin on the models.

What you see with 3d details in buildings are several thousands of polys per model but what's not clear is how many buildings there are per model. Often 1 model = 1 square city block.

AFAIK polys are not the issue WRT performance, at least not with Open Rails and this route. Performance relative to how many placed objects & their size seems to be driven by the very large number of drawcalls necessary for the very large number of placed ScaleRail shapes... my own estimate is ScaleRail is between 75-85% of all drawcalls used for shapes. The second factor affecting performance is the large number of drawcalls neccesary to extended view distances -- 1 per patch, 64 patches per tile time 8-10km worth of tiles and that adds up too (even tho most of those hundreds of patches use the same texture and many of those are under the surface of Lake Michigan).

The render thread always clocks in at 99% and the update thread (the game itself) is usually between 30 and 50%. Frame rates on my machine can run as low as 20 and as high as 70 depending on where the camera is looking (that's on a PC with an Intel i940 quad core processor and a decent GPU). IOW it is CPU bound, most likely due to drawcalls.

#34 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

This route is really looking terrific.

One thought that occurs to me is to wonder if the buildings need cinder and smoke weathering.

Christopher

#35 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

View Postconductorchris, on 13 March 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

This route is really looking terrific.

One thought that occurs to me is to wonder if the buildings need cinder and smoke weathering.

Christopher

Yes, they do but I cannot add that w/o being able to apply two textures on 1 poly (if you examine the textures for any building model you'll understand what's going on). It's my understanding that can be done with 3dmax and IF I get to use that software that's what I'll do.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users