• You cannot reply to this topic

TriState Route - Progress Report Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pnrailway 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

While it seems that the interest of a few of the individuals here at the Forum are with more contemporary railroading and the much more powerful locomotives of our current times, still there are quite a few of us that prefer the days when we were young and the first generation diesels were the current new power or before, even some that prefer a time two centuries ago. The still developing TriState Route will have its time set between the years 1920, (no I am not that old but I knew a few that are), and the early 1950's, (that is when I was a kid and was deeply involved with railroads such as the Maryland & Pennsylvania, the Northern Central, the Baltimore & Ohio, and the Western Maryland). Here are some shots of the current state of development of the route.

Shots are taken in ORTS, latest version:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OR_11-07_7.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OR_11-07_13.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OR_11-07_33.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OR_11-07_68.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OR_11-07_70.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OR_11-07_79.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OpenRails2012-07-1409-44-06_23.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/pnrailway/MSTS-Login/Piedmont%20Northern/LHR52_TriState_and_OR/OpenRails_OR_09-01_a_244.jpg

#2 User is offline   rrfan96 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Beautiful shots Paul, that route looks very, very good! The work the team is putting in is making such a beautiful recreation :sign_thanks: .

While I may have not had the luck to be around when steam was king, and those first generation diesels started to come in, and I was born when the SP's flag had fallen, I love the glory years of railroading and those years that the route models. When once the sound of an approaching train was the stack talk and lonely whistle of a big iron horse with a merchandise. Modern Railroading is nice too, but not as awesome as mighty Berkshires pounding high iron with a long string of boxcars. Thankfully, one can relive these years with the help of the preservation of those great iron stallions, Model Railroads, simulators and the videos of those who captured railroading at one of its finest points ever. :oldstry:

#3 User is offline   trainzman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Admin Note: < Helping Matt express His thoughts. >

Hi Paul
Nice Lehigh Hudson Tristate route screenshots. Keep us posted it's looking good.

Matt

#4 Inactive_UPRRFRM_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Beautiful shots! That last ground position photo really set it off, The track graphics look straight prototypical, almost as if you just kneeled down in the yard and snapped it...You the MAN Paul!

Moe
RRFL (Railroaders for Life)

#5 User is offline   chripsch 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Nice shots! What a pity that I`ve to few time to support the project.

Cheers,

Christian

#6 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

While I realize that this thread is aging, I've been scouring the web for update information on this project.

I've seen hints and nudges that it's very much still alive -- has there been any progress?

#7 User is offline   pnrailway 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

Kevin,

While I am no longer involved in the project, I do know it is very much alive and there are discussions on going to make the route more computer friendly since its present size rivals that of the Mid Eastern Region of the PRR. I am afraid I do not have any screen shots of any of the recent versions of the route to post.

#8 User is offline   Railroad Librarian 

• Engineer

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

Paul,

Thank you for the information. I'm glad to see it's still alive. I have the purchased copy of PRR Eastern and I can imagine (given how big it was) that the new project must be daunting.

Any idea / links that might get me up-to-date?

Thank you.

Bookman

#9 User is offline   pnrailway 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

As I said, I am no longer associated with the project, so I can not help you there.

#10 User is offline   DRelyea 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

I did not realize this particular thread was still here.

Paul is correct that we have hit a Tracknode limit. It appears this limit will vary a bit above the 32,768 count that Eric Olesen suggested at a thread at Trainsim.com about the node limit, but we cannot exceed that by much with a single route in MSTS.

We are currently discussing breaking the route into 4 routes, that based on the route name, the trackwork for those Railroads would be complete, and for the large ones, at least complete in that region. The breakup would be ERIE - NYO&W (with attendant West Shore and NH Maybrook trackage), L&NE -L&HR (also with NH Maybrook) DL&W - NYS&W and CNJ - LV. I'm aware the NYS&W was under Erie control for a long time, but my gut feel is leaving it in it's entirety with the Erie will bump the limit again, especially trying to finish Avoca, and the WB&E connections by Wilkes-Barre.

These routes would contain overlap. The M&U would appear in it's entirety in two routes, the ERIE - NYO&W, and the DL&W - NYS&W. In the Erie route, the NYS&W's Hanneford branch would end out of sight 3 tiles south of M&U Junction. In the DL&W - NYS&W, the Erie and NYO&W would end out of sight of the M&U. Beside the visual aspect, the 3 tiles should leave enough room for AI activity on the shortened railroads.

The L&NE -L&HR will probably contain the entire B&P Division of the DL&W, as well as visual parts of the DL&W mainlines at Portland. The DL&W - NYS&W will contain those parts of the L&NE visible from the B&P division. The details of this possible breakup are still being worked out, but the idea is to maintain RR operations and the visual aspects.

Downside is these four will not merge back together easily. As much work would be required as the effort required to split them up.

Other issue is there are now 4 tiles that I can't work in the RE as they have exceeded the tile object limit. Efforts to work in there end up with missing track pieces.

There is an effort underway to assemble a website for the project. When it is complete, I will post it's address.

Thank you Paul, for responding to this thread, I might not have seen it otherwise.

Doug Relyea

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users