• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

in^3 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

One more query. In running activities on several British routes I repeatedly get the following error on many UK locomotives.

Warning: Found a suffix '*(in^3)' which could not be parsed as a Volume unit in D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\trains\trainset\Holbeck Scots\#46117L.eng:line 793

My assumption that "in^3" is entered for cubic inches and that OR, and I assume MSTS, do not read this. Am I correct? If so, would it be best that the .eng file be changed to something OR and MSTS will accept?

David

#2 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

dforrest, on 29 September 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

One more query. In running activities on several British routes I repeatedly get the following error on many UK locomotives.

My assumption that "in^3" is entered for cubic inches and that OR, and I assume MSTS, do not read this. Am I correct? If so, would it be best that the .eng file be changed to something OR and MSTS will accept?

David

This is one of our serious challenges. MSTS supports a complete mathematical language for use as parameters in its wag files and others. But this language has never been documented. We see content developers who have used such things as *(in^3). We have no idea how they knew it would work. If there is a spec document out there we'd love to have it. There are really two problems for us here:

1. How do we match MSTS behavior? We don't know if MSTS is parsing and using this value with or without some kind of mathematical conversion, or is MSTS actually just ignoring the line and substituting some default.

2. Without having a definition for this language, we can't make a comprehensive parser. We implement support for these conversion as problems are reported. But even then, we have to go back to problem 1 to know how to support it.

Its a frustrating effort and at some point we might have to just declare certain rolling stock - 'not compatible' - and ask the community to provide replacement wags. These will probably use a different extension so the changes don't effect the way the rolling stock behaves in MSTS.

So, back to your question, the fastest way to solve this one is to change the wag.

#3 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

I understand the problem. Rudolf Richter's Manual has reference to "ft^3" but not to "in^3"

David

#4 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

From this thread at UKTrainSim

http://forums.uktrai...?f=238&t=127825

it seems possible that MSTS has never used any of this type of value and has always reverted to the default.

David

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users