• You cannot reply to this topic

Laying Track Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Beginning to get the Division Street Yard in located on Goose Island Proper. About 80% of the north end tracks are placed now:

Attached Image: track02 update.jpg

You can compare to diagram #2, well above, to see the changes.

It looks like there only three tracks for doing classification... seems that there will be more room to pull the block at the south end but I suppose if they were ok being on the Cherry St. bridge doing that work then either ned could be used.

Probably a dozen or so tracks available for queuing up outbound blocks and storing cars in protective service.

I can make out in my source material (very limited on the yard itself) where the scale track is and a different track for fueling steam locomotives. Then a handful for the freight house. A few tracks extend further south as leads to various industry tracks. Not a very big or complex yard.

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Got the rest of the track down on the island:

Attached Image: Track06.jpg

That all attaches to the bottom of what is in the previous post. The green is kinda where the river is. Tracks are the far left are the C&NW Milwaukee Division Mainline -- full of commuter trains from the north suburbs.

And the whole route to date (the blue lines are tile boundaries so as you can see, it's all pretty compact):

Attached Image: Overview.jpg

#13 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Compact, yes. Small? No! :pardon: You have a heck of a lot of track and custom buildings for this route, and a lot of invested time so far. It's really showing! :oldstry: So, with everything crammed onto those few tiles, how are the framerates?

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostBernie, on 16 February 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

So, with everything crammed onto those few tiles, how are the framerates?

Not as good as I thought I'd see. ScaleRail is very costly... each placed shape (tangent or curve) is 5 primitives and the turnouts are 23. Each primitive is a draw call (performance expensive) and while their textures can be shared within VRAM I'm led to understand that the work load for identical shapes is not "shared"... that each one gets all their required draw calls, moving all the necessary mesh no matter how many identical occurrences there are. With a very fast CPU and good video card that work can be done 60 or even 72 times per second (the rate at what most monitors actually can draw) but on my PC, which is a rather decent PC, it can only squeeze in 30 per sec... fps of 30.

The other factor is due to my use of Sketchup PLUS how I do models -- w/ 3d features. So they have a higher poly count (not too expensive in OR but every one does count) as well as more than necessary textures due to the SU Exporter Bug (see the Announcements forum for "I need some software help"). If the exporter bug can be fixed then it would be possible to consolidate some textures and possibly even shrink the size of the .s file, both of which would improve performance.

Over the long run, I expect the exporter will get fixed. I also expect OR to eventually allow for procedurally generated track (what RW does) which should allow for the creation of good looking track using a fewer textures as well as being more efficient in rendering than can be done today w/ all of those shapes. Eventually.

#15 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Well, I suppose it helps that you are building a route heavy on switching; slow speeds can trick the eye into smoothing frame "jumps" out. In any rate (pun not intended... :oldstry: ), good luck! :pardon:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users