• You cannot reply to this topic

Laying Track Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

I'm using Scale Rail -- wonder full stuff for lottsa curves, looks good too.

I'm taking my oft stated recommendations -- start laying track in the middle of the route so when you get tired of going in one direction you can turn around, find the other railhead, and push on from there. In this case it's "extra useful" because the route is, essentially, a big X and so in short order there will be 4 different railheads to work. The first section I'll work on is the Kingsbury Branch which runs along Kingsbury Ave. I'm starting at the north end of it, just north of the route's center.

It's almost 01:00 and so I'm posting just the first of three images... the other two will come sometime tomorrow.

Attached Image: Track01.jpg

Most things there should be self evident... what's missing is the river, which is to the immediate left of the track and the scale of which I'm not really sure... but the top of the page is roughly where Cortland Ave is and the bottom is North Ave. On a due north south vertical axis that's about 750m and so from that you can see things are pretty congested -- curves into industry spots are as tight as 60m radius and the tangent run between successive turnouts is often in the 5-15m range, head to toe, so this is slow speed, small locomotive territory.

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

This image covers the distance between North Ave and Division and is about the same distance as the first map, roughly 750m north to south.

Attached Image: track02.jpg

Much of Kingsbury Ave was unpaved back in the day and I'll have to decide if I want to model it that way or pave it as it was later in 50's, as I do like street running.

Over on Goose Island proper, the MILW yard takes up the whole NE quarter and some of the SE quarter as well. The NW Corner has several large steel warehouses.

#3 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 29 September 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

This image covers the distance between North Ave and Division and is about the same distance as the first map, roughly 750m north to south.

Definitely the type of route I enjoy operating.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Page three starts around Division St, scale is about the same as the other maps. Tis sheet is the start of the many Montgomery Wards buildings -- Their National Catalog Sales shipping is here as are their centralized Corporate warehouses. On the other side of the tracks are facilities for one of the early Nation-wide Supermarket chains,

Attached Image: track03.jpg

Not shown above is the SE quarter of Goose Island -- the tracks have not been laid yet.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Page 4 continues with the Montgomery Wards sites and then transitions into the downtown warehouse district.

Attached Image: track04.jpg

Of particular note are the two long spurs that run east: not street running... alley running! Just 18 feet wide adjacent buildings that are 60, 70, 100 feet tall.

#6 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Just seems so immense diagram wise. But I guess these spurs hold one two cars at the most for the majority?

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

I'd say it is less than 3000m end-to-end... so what's that 1.25 miles? Here's the whole thing so far with the standard tile boundary included:

Attached Image: Track_Tiles.jpg

Am curious: Does it still seem so large to you now?

AFAIK there is no reason to go any further south than the bottom of lower right tile. Heading north, the Deerline line bends west to the edge of the upper left tile and then steers north for 1 tile. Neither the Evanston or Bloomington lines will go more than a half tile in distance... if that as I don't want to model them.

So I think when it adds up, the route will be just 3 tiles (6000m) long, which is what... 3.5 miles? Not that big really.

#8 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Wow! That's usually the average distance between GO stops up here. And doesn't take long at 50mph between them. Though I don't think one will ever get to that speed on this route of yours Dave. :oldstry: Just haven't seen a good industrial area like that in a long time. It's going to be something!

#9 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

The ends the Kingsbury branch (400 West Kinzie Ave if you want to find it on a map). There is a lateral swing bridge that allows the MILW to cross the river and continue a few streets down to Union Station, perhaps points further south, but I'm going to keep that run at a minimum.

Attached Image: track05.jpg

This photo was taken several decades earlier but much of what is seen in it is present in the early 50's: The Railway Terminal Warehouse in the photo became The Wallace Press, the building in the center of the photo became E.B. Millar, center right is John Sexton Foods, the low building almost hidden behind the boxcars became the National Tea Grocery Warehouse and the building in the lower right is and remained the MILW Freight House #5.

#10 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

You're going to have your work cut out for you when it comes to scenery is all I can say! ;) Thought I'd go at vamping a 'older area' on my GTA route. Buildings were done already in the 3D Warehouse, so I thought it'd be a cinch. But all the sections were individual, and the textures on them had trees and cars all over them! :friends: So it turned into a MAJOR undertaking for the rustic old, now modernized complex - but I did it!

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc485/TheNoisemaker/510FrontStw498and517WellingtonSt.jpg

When all was said and done though, it was pushing close to 2000 poly's! So seeing how the back part is never going to be seen, take it right out...

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc485/TheNoisemaker/510FrontStw498and517WellingtonStReduced.jpg

So it's something you may want to consider as well on your route? I know, I know - Open Rails doesn't give a fig about poly's, But - why push it? The more that could be saved is the more that could be had. And from the looks of it, you're going to be doing a LOT! But within such a tight confine, it maybe more noticeable on external camera views? Something to consider anyways. 100 polys here, 500 polys there, it adds up after awhile.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users