#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

I found this photograph on Flickr:

Attached Image: Wallace Press + John Sexton from Kinzie.jpg

These are all near the S end of the Goose Island route and the MILW ran between the brown building on the left and all the others on the right and provided rail service to all (there is a SP boxcar in the center-left of the picture).

When I was a kid I just loved being driven thru these areas (my Mom must have thought I was nuts) -- I knew they were old, I knew they were tied to railroads, and I just sopped it up like a sponge. It was scenes like this that made a deep impression on me of what railroading was all about: An Industry for Industry... not just Trains.

You can't build scenes like this in HO scale... V-Scale is really GREAT!

#2 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nice find Dave! And much like you, it was these types of areas here in Toronto that fascinated me too. Sadly, all have given way to these new artsy condos and such. But even when MSTS first came out, and I encountered Kalispel on Marias Pass, my first foray into RE was to make that area as densely industrial as I could, And looked pretty good too, until I realized too many objects affects FPS. Sadly, for us Canucks - the closest thing that comes to the awe of these dense industrial areas is the L&PS route, and to a degree Quebec & Charlevoix. So I think this is why I'm liking your project, as it's very similar to Toronto's waterfront in the 60's and 70's as well. Just great old landmarks of style and purpose. I don't get these new fangled condos and stores. Overpriced prison cells waiting for Amazon deliveries while microwaving a Starbucks latte frappe so that five bucks wasn't a total waste. Love these old buildings and a greasy diner nearby - coffee's harsh, burgers alright, and just don't ever order the lasagna. ;)

#3 Inactive_Dave Mikulec_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Genma Saotome, on 13 September 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

You can't build scenes like this in HO scale... V-Scale is really GREAT!

That's why I've returned to MSTS (and eventually OR). I couldn't afford all those FSM kits I wanted and I didn't have enough space for an HO layout that would satisfy my needs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users