Elvas Tower: Modeling projects: modelers, introduce yourselves - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modeling projects: modelers, introduce yourselves and why are you modeling for Open Rails? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Intro....

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well, y'all know me by now, for better, or for worse, as Captain Bazza, or just plain Bazza. I've been around the train simming block a few times and have the scars to prove it. :oldstry:

I got very interested in OR from the earliest public stage, because I saw it would release me from the restrictions imposed by the sheer age of the venerable Microsoft Train Simulator 1.0 and from its many foibles. I started various OR modeling test projects from Day One of my association with the development project, despite hints that it might be a little premature to think in that direction, eh? My response was, 'a model, is a model, is a model, irrespective of which particular sim is involved, it's just the finer detail of the protocols that require tweaking over time.

I wont go over old ground, you've seen all of those renders and screenshots I posted on various other forums, but I will post a brief of what I have planned.

My current OR related projects include some successes and some (temporary, I hope) failures. Par for the course, I live with it.

Krauss, 0-4-0T tank loco JACK, Aussie 2ft gauge, with various rollingstock, including 2 x pax cars, one guard's van (caboose), concurrent, active.

Baldwin Mogul, 2-6-0 tender loco M&U #5, standard gauge, now suffers display problems in OR, unresolved, stalled.

Class K36, Mikado, 2-8-2 tender loco, 3ft gauge, in hiatus awaiting completion of JACK, on the to-do-list.

Class #315, DRGW/D&SR tender loco, 3ft gauge, project pending.

Southern Railway, UK, 2-6-2T tank loco, 2ft gauge, now suffers display problems in OR, unresolved, stalled.

Class B4E, #73 Colorado Southern, 2-8-0 tender loco, upgrade from MSTS, hiatus, awaiting completion of JACK.

Russian version of Chinese Class C2, 0-8-0 tender loco, 750mm gauge, concurrent, active.

Well, that's enough to get me into trouble in the meantime. :derisive:

Concurrent projects are those I'm working on along with others on a day to day basis.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hey Capt.

I won't leave you alone in here. And I'm glad your sabbatical away from modeling was a short one. :derisive:

And thank you for getting this special forum going. We've needed this for some time now. I hope we can keep this a builders forum and not a gab session.

I'm not one for long drawn out intro's. I too have been in this game since the early day's. It has been bitter sweet through out that time. Many project's with many failures and a few great successes.

And I'm well known here. You either love me or hate me. :oldstry: I will remain civil and polite.

I model with Train Sim Modeler and Polymaster 2A.Textures are made with Corel 11, Paintshop pro 7. Aceit and TGAtools2A.

My current project's are;

Pennsylvania RR M-1 and M-1A W/110P75 and 275F75A tenders respectfully_MSTS-OR (on hold)

B&O RR 2-10-2 Big Six 6000 class with six axle big Vanderbilt tender_OR only

B&O RR 2-8-2 Q4A Makadoo W/ short Vanderbilt tender_OR only

Illinois Central 4-6-0 #382 Casey Jones_OR only

New York, New Haven and Hartford 2-10-2 class R for Rick Franzosa_MSTS-OR

Undisclosed 2-8-2_OR only

Nuff

There may be others that can and will be started at any time. This is the way my mind works these day's.
Today's work was on the undisclosed one. :shout:

I will try to keep the project's updated as they progress.

Allen

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

I have been using OR since V0.360 and have been around these pages for around 9 months and have posted up some of my work which is currently all (almost) cabviews.

The current stuff sort of completed, (still waiting for OR to improve) are all cabviews these being,
All cabviews being high resolution specific to OR,

South Australian Railways (SAR) Bluebird rail car cabview
SAR DL deisel electric cabview
Victorian Railways (VR) G class DE cabview
VR N class DE cabview (this being almost the same as the G class)
Victorias 3rd series X class DE cabview in both VR and Freight Australia liveries
VR H220 steamer cabview, had a bit of brain fade on this one as I forgot to take the side view shots, and are now waiting for the museum at Newport to reopen so I can complete it.

Currently working on a VLine sprinter cabview, also a VLocity DMU style of cabview,

For actual modelling I am working on the VLine Sprinter DMU and also some VR/VLine N series carriages.

Lindsay

#5 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

I guess I'm in too. I am using version 0.7.0.905. I'm now using ORTS because MSTS is not stable on my system. Plus, ORTS is more forgiving to modelers than MSTS. Not much crashes ORTS. :wub: I have two projects for OR that I'm working on.

Former GC&E class 80-3, 3 truck shay#5, Still under construction, Awaiting animation, On temporary hiatus.

East Broad Top 3ft. gauge speeder(aka Spider), Nearly finished, Awaiting animation, Plan to use this speeder as a base platform to design the other speeders.

#6 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hi folks, thanks for introducing yourselves and explaining your interest in the new sim.

Only OR model project development type posts are requested for discussion in this forum/topics. However, if somebody has an idea for a possible solution, or can see possible snags, we welcome such discussions, too.

Cheers Bazza

#7 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

@Eldorado, thank you. I intend expanding on my trials with M&U #5. I put up a new topic for specific problems and I think she qualifies under that banner. :-(

Cheers Bazza

Added:

At the risk of being a lout for singling out the "failures" and not the successes there are a few questions:

We need to learn from the 'failures' as much as from the successes, so any discussions that further our knowledge are sought and welcomed. I'm sure no modeler who contributes here needs to worry about telling of the ones that got away....my HD is littered with such skeletons.

B.

#8 Inactive_DAve Babb_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm here as a commercial developer of UK modern(ish) stock and routes.

MSTS is clearly a dying breed and my requirements for amount of detail have been limited by MSTS for sometime.

I am the director of the UK Developer Making Tracks.
We used to have a great team of talent, but the slow and painful death of MSTS has meant that many of the people we had have found a life and may well have gone forever. This means that I'm not sure what future there is for MT, I am hoping that a new viable sim will bring some people back.
If not then I guess I'll be building trains pretty much on my own !

I use TSM which is one reason for wanting OR to be viable is so that I don't need to learn something new. TSM might not be the best 3D package that there is, but I have 11 years experience of it, I'd probably not do any better work using something else and I'd lose all backward compatibility.

#9 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Dave, although TSM is your platform, 3D Canvas/Crafter is, by all means, backwards comparable. You can load/import a .dst file right into 3DC with no troubles.
I started out with TSM myself and have converted all my models over to 3DC.

:oldstry:

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hi Dave, welcome to ET and the OR project.

Cheers Bazza

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users