• You cannot reply to this topic

Goose Island A micro route Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:23 AM

I will be in line to buy a ticket to ride too. :)

Chris

#22 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:40 PM

Me too!

#23 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:57 PM

I've wanted to do a release as-is to get some feedback. The hangup right now is a wholly unexpected "feature" in TSRE that's blocking the laying of streets downtown: The roads I built get laid down like a layer cake with each successive member 1 level higher than the one before.

What happened was I specified a road path 0.2m about the roads origin point because I lifted the road surface by the same amount. That gave me enough "headroom" to arch the street towards the curb w/o burying it. It also means the road paths in the slow lanes are lower than those in the fast lanes -- a 6 lanes road will have 3 different path heights.

Goku is taking a look at this but does not promise it will be fixed. That means I have no streets downtown. I suppose I could lay tracks anyway such that the railheads top out at 0.2m but it will look all wrong.

So until there is a fix or another way to do this I'm kinda stuck plugging away at more buildings. If I burn out on that I';; probably turn my attention tot eh Cal-P for 6 months or so.

#24 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

Dave why not keep[ it simple and just keep the streets level? a germ is a nice idea but really does not need to happen maybe.... i hate to see you side tracked becasue one plan didnt work. a flat street can still look great!!!!!!

just a thought.

chris

#25 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:32 PM

View PostCrisGer, on 28 May 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

[...] a germ is a nice idea but really does not need to happen maybe.... [...]

No to nitpick, but that typo is too much of a Freudian slip not to point out that those germs definitely never have been a nice idea ;)

But you're right that it never really needed to happen :D

OK, gonna call it a day and head for my bed now.

Cheers, Markus

#26 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

I can keep the arch and put the center of the street and its origin point at the same altitude -- 0,0,0 -- and simply raise it 0.2m Then any cars that run in the slow lanes either float or run into the street. OR I can take away the arch in which case the gutter, curb, and sidewalk are all 6 inches above the street. No problem for the cars.

Where it gets a bit hinky is in the relationship between the road surface and track. By definition the top of track is above the ground but the origin point is not. So what you want when you've got rail running down the street is a road surface with an origin point equal to that of the rail and a road surface equal to that of the top of the railhead. If that road is flat then over on the sides you jump up another 4-6 inches with your curb, parkway, and sidewalk. Mind you it's already starting at a level above ground because of the rail height.

What the arch does is drop the gutter etc., down to above the same level as the ground -- below the railhead, down near the origin point of the rail. Then adding the 4-6 inch increase in height for the curb faces still puts you above the ground but not so far as before.

Make sense now?

Anyway, I have an idea that might provide a workaround: If I lay the streetcar tracks first and the road shape second I can disable the .rdb path in the road shape before moving it to the track location, repeat, repeat.... Go back to the start and activate the .rdb path one shape at a time. That might let me bypass whatever is in the code that is producing this step increase with each placed shape.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users