• Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=1403
File Name: OWP&RyCo Interurban Freight Train Set
File Submitter: timmuir
File Submitted: 30 May 2012
File Updated: 30 May 2012
File Category: Light Electrics

MSTS OREGON WATER POWER & RAILWAY CO. 1903 ERA CORD WOOD TRAIN SET.
CONTAINS ELECTRIC INTERURBAN BOX MOTOR No.103, IN 6.2 AND 7.2 METER TROLLEY HEIGHTS.
SIX UNIQUELY NUMBERED AND WEATHERED LOADED AND UNLOADED FLAT CARS.
CUSTOM MADE CABOOSE WITH INTERIOR.
CREWS ADDED USING FREIGHT ANIMATION ARE BY TOM WERB WITH PERMISSION.

Updated Consist files for the trains with empties. They are now truly empty!

BOX MOTOR TEXTURES AND MESH, FLAT CAR TEXTURES AND MESH, CABOOSE TEXTURES AND MESH ALL BY TIM MUIR.
CORDWOOD TEXTURES BY STEVE THOMPSON AND CG TEXTURES WITH ADDITIONAL HELP FROM JIM BEBENROTH.
COUPLER TEXTURES BY STEVE THOMPSON.
WHEEL FACE TEXTURES BY WAYNE CAMPBELL.

MODELS COPYRIGHT 2012, BY Tim Muir

Other copyrights held by their respective creators.

YOU MUST HAVE BIN INSTALLED IN ORDER TO OPERATE THE CONTENTS OF THIS ARCHIVE!

Well, here we have a complete train set depicting a typical 1903 haul of cord wood to be delivered to the growing city of Portland, Oregon, from the hills and valleys of the Clackamas River water shed and other points southeast of the city. Most homes in the Rose City at the time were heated by, and kitchen stoves fired with, cord wood and the Oregon Water Power & Railway Company filled the demand with nightly trains delivering the fuel to their freight terminal in East Portland, and at sidings along the mainline at key points. The 36- and 40-foot flat cars, stacked 8 feet high by 8 feet wide, were unloaded over night, the laborers given 12 hours to get them cleared off in time for the empties to be hauled back to the woods the next day for the run back to Portland the next night. This process went on for many years through three changing corporate identities.

Box motor #103 was built in 1898 by the East Side Railway Company to haul freight and Express from Portland, Oregon to Oregon City on the historic interurban railroad. Not much is known about the motor other than it was built to appear as a box car because Oregon City had ordinances against locomotives running on it's streets at the time. Under OWP&RyCo ownership, the motor sported the unique emblem of the company's express business, the diamond with red and white stripes on the doors. This service was modeled after that of Wells Fargo of the period. Nothing more is known about the motor other than what is observed with careful study of an enlarged scan of a photo from a book. It is very probable that this may be among the very first box motors ever built for electric railway use.

The model was constructed to celebrate my tenth anniversary building models for MSTS. My second model built and released to the public was the OWP 103, published in July of 2002, being uploaded to the library at Train-Sim.com. This model came up in discussion here at ET during the building of the Pacific Electric box motors and it dawned on me that it was ten years ago that I built that model. I got the idea to rebuild that piece from the ground up, using texture maps and some parts from the PE motors, and this model is the result. It was fun and a little nostalgic putting it together. It is constructed using Abacus Train Sim Modeler Pro, as are all my models.

Cabviews and sounds are those used in the PE 1452 models.

The model features animated trolley poles and doors, the latter being operated using the Ctrl+Numpad7 keys for the left side and Ctrl+NumPad9 for the right. Because the headlights were removed during daylight hours, I built a version without the lights, as well as one with headlights, hung on the front doors, for both wire versions. Be sure to turn off all lights before opening doors. Also featured are the Fuller trucks, unique to many company built cars running on the East Side Railway, OWP&RyCo., and Portland Railway Light & Power Co. cars for many years. Designed by master mechanic and later Vice President of OWP, F.I.Fuller. Also typical of the East Portland interurbans was the truck mounted tube pilots.

The flat cars included in the set are rebuilds of the SP&S flats I released a few years ago, with archbar trucks and re-mapped bodies. Almost a new car, with six different road numbers and weathering patterns from one main ace. The loads were textured from much edited photos sent to me from Steve Thompson,and Jim Bebenroth. Other textures from CGTextures for the racks. original PSP files with layers are available upon request, via a personal message at Elvas Tower.

The caboose is another "rebuild" of an early car I did, a repaint of John Fowler's old caboose, as PRL&P 1453, using the same old photo I used for this model, in May of 2002. Close examination of the few photos available suggest that the caboose was built along the same lines as the motor 103 so was built from that model. Basically a box car with a cupola, end platforms and interurban style ends. Unfortunately no good full-on views of these cars are available to me at this time, only end shots from a distance and one side view partially obstructed, so much has been "proto-lanced" with it. I think it turned out pretty darn well considering the lack of information. The interior was modeled after bits and pieces of known caboose interiors such as from the Northern Pacific 1700 series and the Pennsylvania Railroad N5 cabin cars, the leather upholstered cupola couches from the latter. The wall dressings are from the web, and feature the first 'super-model' and actress Evelyn Nesbitt and two other ladies from the turn of that century. These cars are not to be confused with later cabooses with the same road numbers, which were built as cabooses, and much shorter. The doors are animated as well, using the same keys as the box motor, only reversed key assignments.

The caboose has an inside view accessed by the 5 key. This is a 360-degree view only. The up-and-down ranges are clamped to zero degrees in an effort to keep the constantly animating doors from view, or at least to a minimum, while turned to the right,looking inside the cupola.

Installation:

The archive will come with the flat cars and caboose in a shared folder, and the box motor separate, in case the latter is not wanted. Unzip to a temporary place. Drag and drop the TRAINS folder to your Train Simulator Root Folder and overwrite. Consist files are provided for trains of the 103 pulling six flats and the caboose for the 6.2 meter and the 7.2 meter versions. The loaded consists wil have the box motor with the headlights mounted, while the unloaded trains have the 103 without the headlights, to replicate the prototype practice of removing headlights during daylight hours, as was the times trains of empties returned to the loading areas at southern and eastern points.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
LEGAL:
As author of this new design, I advise that it is copyrighted, but royalty free. You may use it and edit it as you wish, but you may not distribute it for money, or include it in a paid distribution without permission from Tim Muir, who can be reached via personal message at Elvas Tower http://www.elvastower.com/forums/. You must include my name in your credits, as well as my copyright notices, and this entire Readme.txt, if you repaint it, use or derive files from it, or otherwise use or distribute these files.
Because this program is royalty free, it is provided WHERE IS, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS, and WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or any other warranties. There is no liability by the authors in your use of this program, instead all liability is assumed by the user.

.................................................................................................................................................
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Credits and thank yous:

Steve Thompson for supplying his photos for the coupler and cord wood.
Tom Werb for supplying his files and permission to add his crew figures to the models.
Jim Bebenroth for supplying photo a supplemental photo used in the construction of the cord wood pile.
Elliot (D&RGW) for suggesting smoothing wheel tread polygons.
Chris Gerlach for his research skills and time.
Wayne Campbell for his wheel textures and spark codes.
And to all the crew at ET for help and support.

Tim Muir
May 30, 2012
Railroad Earth

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Despite my endeavors to be as careful as I possibly can, I made a mistake in the consist files for the two trains with empty cars. These files will take the loads off. The updated archive is in the library now, but meanwhile if you want just the consist files give me a personal message here. I will attach them in the reply.

#3 User is offline   Fred 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

View Posttimmuir, on 30 May 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Despite my endeavors to be as careful as I possibly can, I made a mistake in the consist files for the two trains with empty cars. These files will take the loads off. The archive in the library is updated awaiting approval again, meanwhile here's the corrected files.

Tim,
I tried to download the file and got an error message that I did not have permission to access the file.

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostFred, on 30 May 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Tim,
I tried to download the file and got an error message that I did not have permission to access the file.

Okay. I'll PM you with the corrected files. Sorry about the mess.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users