• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My first loco for msts Penn Central SW1500 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler
  • Group: Active Member

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hello all,

When I was young, between 10-12 years old, my father worked as a switchman for New York Central. He also drove a truck for them and would place the trailers on a flexivan. He used to take me to work with him and I used to see what he did. I got to ride in his truck and watch him switch and watch the box cars go to their designated tracks. I also got a chance to ride in the loco and work the controls. That was one of the highlights of my childhood. At that time, the railroad was Penn Central and the loco was a Penn Central loco. So recently, I search around to find out what loco that might have been that I rode on and found that it was either an SW1500 or another SW?. I found more SW1500 photos than any others in PC colors so I decided on doing this loco for MSTS or OpenRails. I haven't decided on which train number I'm using yet. I want to do some more research before I do but wanted to get started on the loco itself. So I went and bought a book at the loco train shop, The Golden Spike, named The Model Railroad Cyclopedia - Vol 2, and scanned the page with the drawing of this loco to use to build my loco. I've worked on it a couple hours yesterday and all day today and this is what I have so far. I would have had more but the top and side view of the drawing is a little off so I was hunting images of this loco to get a better idea of how it should be to get it closer to WHAT it should be. I hope you all like it. Please let me know what ya think.

Thanks,

John

P.S. Can someone please tell me what would the thickness of the handrails be? I'm thinking either inch or 1-1/4 but am not sure. I went 1-1/4 for now. Thanks again.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 0005.jpg
  • Attached Image: 0006.jpg

#2 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Superintendant
  • Group: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:20 AM

All you need is here:

http://urbaneagle.co.../RRstddims.html

Rick

#3 User is offline   flamex 

• Engineer
  • Group: SLW

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:48 AM

Very nice. :D

Any chance for an SP detailed unit sometime down the road?

#4 User is offline   ILuvSantaFe 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Train Sim

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

Nice job so far John. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Enjoyed your story about you and your father. May I ask what yard he was assigned to, especially with the flexivans?

Bill

#5 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

Thanks rfranzosa. I did a search after I posted that and found that page and a better one with the handrail sizes. And they are 1-1/4 like I thought.

Thanks flamex. I don't see why not.

Thanks ILuvSantaFe. I don't know how familiar you are with Chicago but the yard I went to to see him do that was Lumber st. We took Canal from 22nd past Lawrences fisherie over the canal bridge to 14th, took a right and drove around to the yard. It was a long drive after we turned onto 14th. I remember seeing passenger trains there as well. That was when they were turning into Conrail. I looked for it on Google maps and found it. It looks like it's just south of Union Station. I can't remember where the yard was that he was switching at and where I rode in the loco tho. I can see it in my mind but can't find it on the map and I don't remember where we drove to get there. That was one of the first things I did with him. I looked many times and am just not sure. I know about where it's at and got it narrowed down to a few but that's as far as I can figure. There was an old passenger car off the rails and without trucks they had for storage or whatever I used to play around in but I don't see it on the map. They probably moved it by now.

Are you from Chicago?

I also just found some pictures of the inside of the cab of an SW1500 and it doesn't look like what I was in so this probably not the loco I rode in. I wasn't sure but it looks close so I'm thinking it's another sw?. I have to do some more research to find out. Hopefully I can find what I need. I'd like to go to the yards I know of and see what I can find out but I don't drive any more so it might not be possible.

#6 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

View PostCrazybricker, on 01 August 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

I also just found some pictures of the inside of the cab of an SW1500 and it doesn't look like what I was in so this probably not the loco I rode in. I wasn't sure but it looks close so I'm thinking it's another sw?. I have to do some more research to find out. Hopefully I can find what I need. I'd like to go to the yards I know of and see what I can find out but I don't drive any more so it might not be possible.

PC had a lot of older SW units as well. A good source for diesel rosters (while we're at it):

http://www.thedieselshop.us

Look for PC under: By-Gone Banners (fallen flags)

If you remember the road number, you'll be able to identify the model from the roster

Rick

#7 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

Thank you for that Rick but I have no idea what the road number was. I barely remember what the loco looked like. I was real young when this happened. I might have even been younger than 10 years old. Thanks again for trying tho. I appreciate it.

#8 User is offline   CRQ5508 

• Conductor

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

That looks great so far, John. The SW1500 has always been one of my favorite locomotive models. They have that husky look of the later MP line, but still compact looking like the earlier SW series switchers. In all regards, the SW1500 is a multi-purpose locomotive like the MP15, it just didn't have room under the frame for the desired Blomberg trucks (really, the only reason the MP15 was devised.) If you need any information, let me know.

#9 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

That SW1500 looks very good.

#10 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info Thom. If you have good images of it that would help in buildinh this, I would appreciate it if you would share them with me. I have a bunch of pics of it but they are mostly of the full loco and aren't close enough to really make out what they look like. Right now I'm trying to find a good one that shows the rails that hold the handrails. I have a good idea how they look but a better pic would surely help. And if you have any others that are close up they would surely help.

Thanks conductorchris

Here's what I have done today. I didn't get a lot done today. I did a lot of searching today but got the headlights done. That took a while. And I made the smashed end of the handrail with the bolt that holds them on. Oh yeah, I did the bell too. Here's a render of it. Of course a render of it makes it look a lot smoother than it is. That's why the other pics where a viewport image.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 0008.jpg
  • Attached Image: 0009.jpg

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users