• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Seaview Challenger 'nother viddy Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

In 1928 the Grönoset Locomtive Works rolled out one of the first Challenger type locomotives for the Seaview Railways, beginning with #380 through #388. They were called Burnetts until 1936 when the Union Pacific shopped out their first Challenger type after which even the Burnetts were reclassified as Challenger.

Like the UP Challengers the Seaview version was built for mixed traffic and could top speeds up to 70mph. The were excellent for hauling the passenger trains that usually required as much as 4 of the SVR's Prairies, and the heavy freights.

Little is known about the history of Mallets on Seaview, but they were there, and as railroad historians dig through the archives more and more pop up. Perhaps Seaview was Mallet territory?

Recorded it for the guys who commented on her in the steam loco thread. :3

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

I am not surprised at Jon's brilliant workmanship. He is very multi-talented.....he even taught himself to speak and write English, and that's to the same high standard.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Rumour sez that Seaview was founded by aliens...and that they kidnap trains to do experiments on, believing them to be a superior life-form to puny humans. Who is to say they didn't get it right?

Cheers Ugg

#4 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

That is one beauty of an engine Jon! It just looks so nice in that 'blue', whereas the rolling stock in that scheme just doesn't do it for me. But that is one heck of a pull she's hauling! Nicely done, inside and out! :rotfl:
Train-A-Mania did a great review of Seaview for his At The Railyard series. It has these great realistic areas, but then goes into this 'Dr. No' kinda secret fortress areas. (Nick even used the James Bond music which made me howl! ;) )
Quiet a interesting route - whether by aliens or mad scientists. Not my cup of tea to try, but certainly a pleasure to watch. But I'd say Jon's mallet would look fantastic on ANY route.:good2:

#5 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

Apparently Jonatan, those historians haven't met a friend of mine, his great grandfather was the Chief of Motive Power at Sea View Railways from 1925 to 1949. My friend's great grandfather introduced articulated locomotives to SeaView Railways and was the one that placed the order for the Burnetts.

My friend sent me a couple Black and White photos of the first exprimental mallet locomotives SeaView Railways purchased, 0-6-6-0 #2999 and 2-6-6-2 #3199. Neither image does the locomotive's boiler jacket color justice, but my friend is working on colorizing a pic of both for posterity.

http://www.trainsim....17&d=1309929260
This is #2999, an ALCo built locomotive, rarely seen out but she did pull a fan trip once and reportedly had one of the most melodious whistles every heard on SeaView Railways. The locomotive was scrapped in 1961 after years of neglect on display at a beach, salt water corrosion did her in, she reportedly wasn't even recognizable as a locomotive by the time she was scrapped. Rumor has it though, that her whistle is still around and owned by a local.

http://www.trainsim....18&d=1309929264
This is #3199, a Baldwin built locomotive used primarily on Mango fruit trains. She was fitted with a device on her smokestack intended to help her fire better, it didn't really work. She was last seen in 1967 parked on Soggy Island with vegetation encasing her, she may still be in existence...

While these two locomotives sold SeaView Railways on the idea of articulated locomotives, neither Baldwin nor ALCo could build a locomotive that would ultimatly satisfy all of the road's needs, that's apparently why in 1928, SeaView Railways turned to Grönoset Locomtive Works, a firm not only known for custom built locomotives, but fair prices as well...

#6 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

Thanks Noise, Seaview is my second home. And Bazza you should stop stroking my ego while there is time, I might become full of myself, LOL!

Fleeg, Mallets would've been introduced as far back as 1910 when the Mallet boom went on in the US, but the type is strictly confined to the steep graded areas due to their low speed. True compound Mallets should not exceed 25-30mph due to the complicated machinery and aren't suited for any mainline running. It wasn't until simple Mallets were invented that they could run much faster. Your engines would be confined to Flat Top, Soggy Island and Dusty Canyon.

You can remove the spark catcher by editing it out in the alpha channel. But in the future I might build smaller 2-6-6-2's and Meyer types. I'm in an experimental mood.

#7 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

View PostJonatan, on 06 July 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

Fleeg, Mallets would've been introduced as far back as 1910 when the Mallet boom went on in the US, but the type is strictly confined to the steep graded areas due to their low speed. True compound Mallets should not exceed 25-30mph due to the complicated machinery and aren't suited for any mainline running. It wasn't until simple Mallets were invented that they could run much faster. Your engines would be confined to Flat Top, Soggy Island and Dusty Canyon.

They ran there most often, but the Mango harvest always brought 3199 to Spaulding Island, over the course of the picking season, more than three dozen reefers would accumulate in the Mango Grove, 3199 was assigned to hauling them all out at once. Mallets were known for their brute strength and 3199 always put on a fine show hauling the mangos from Mango Grove to Port Pelican, she may have been slow but she did the job of three praries. The only reason 2999 pulled a passnger train that once was because a local railroad club had been requesting that the engine pull such a train for years. The run went from Sea View City through Flat Top and Spaulding Islands before turning on the Soggy Island loop, a trip like that usually took two hours, this one took five.

The dates I was given do seem slightly off, I'll have to look a bit further back. My friend sent me a list of engines with six driving axles post 1925 but there may have been some stricken from the roster before then, I'll have to do some digging of my own.

(Oh, by the way, I know I could remove the device from 3199's stack using alpha, but I think I'll leave it there)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users