• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New to MSTS Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Contributing Member

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

I started out in MSTS using Conbuilder. When the whole debacle that noisemaker talked hit, about I found Convoi and never looked back. I cannot comment on Route riter as I never use it. As far as I remember Conbuilder was not cracked at all. The programmer did a google search and found a couple of links to "Cracked " versions which I Seem to recall never existed. If you are familier with Google you know what I mean. What made me made was He blamed the community as a whole for this crack, and had a hissy fit, and pulled the program. Fine but then he decides to start selling it again, with out any type of apology or any admission of any kind of fault on his part. Someone like that will never get any of my money for any reason.

#12 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Elite Member

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

Is there a english version of Convoi? I think I've only ever come across the french version. As to Route Riter, Mike Simpson has made a essential MSTS utility for the more knowledged. I'm not sure if I would recommend it to a 'beginner' per se. Plus, Mike tried to remedy the CB fiasco with a consist editor supposedly like CB - but I certainly never found it comfertable or straightfoward.

But I will say the Activity Editor supplied with MSTS could be the best start. For 10 years I thought one could only make consists awkwardly with it. As to drag and drop a engine, then select 'Frieght' and drag and drop a boxcar or two. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to 'delete' something - other than simply don't Save, reopen AE and start again. Turns out if one grabs onto a car or a engine, and drags it to this icon that looks like a coupler on the screen; poof - it's gone. And just drag in a new engine or boxcar, whatever. The other overlooked feature of AE is 'Use As Template'. So again for a 'newbie' with say an activity from Marias Pass opened, simply click Player/Edit and under Consist 'Use As Template'. The name will be extended with a '1' at the end, but simply change the whole name to 'My 1st Consist' or whatever to make it easier to locate later. Then simply drag the engine to this coupler/trash can doo-hicky, and drag in a new engine. And/or same for rolling stock, and Save. Then in the Consist drop down of the Player box, simply select My 1st Consist to replace Whitefish Local or whatever the original was. Save the Activity and exit. Then start MSTS, pick Marias and Whitefish Local act as the example, and ta-da! You're in your new train pulling a new consist. ;)

So I think with those pointers in mind, it's the best way to get started with MSTS. It'll give a better grasp to understand Route Riter and Convoi et al as well later on. And if one doesn't want to get THAT specific and detailed - no biggie. ;)

#13 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor
  • Group: Active Member

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

View PostNoisemaker, on 30 January 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

Is there a english version of Convoi? I think I've only ever come across the french version. As to Route Riter, Mike Simpson has made a essential MSTS utility for the more knowledged. I'm not sure if I would recommend it to a 'beginner' per se. Plus, Mike tried to remedy the CB fiasco with a consist editor supposedly like CB - but I certainly never found it comfertable or straightfoward.

But I will say the Activity Editor supplied with MSTS could be the best start. For 10 years I thought one could only make consists awkwardly with it. As to drag and drop a engine, then select 'Frieght' and drag and drop a boxcar or two. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to 'delete' something - other than simply don't Save, reopen AE and start again. Turns out if one grabs onto a car or a engine, and drags it to this icon that looks like a coupler on the screen; poof - it's gone. And just drag in a new engine or boxcar, whatever. The other overlooked feature of AE is 'Use As Template'. So again for a 'newbie' with say an activity from Marias Pass opened, simply click Player/Edit and under Consist 'Use As Template'. The name will be extended with a '1' at the end, but simply change the whole name to 'My 1st Consist' or whatever to make it easier to locate later. Then simply drag the engine to this coupler/trash can doo-hicky, and drag in a new engine. And/or same for rolling stock, and Save. Then in the Consist drop down of the Player box, simply select My 1st Consist to replace Whitefish Local or whatever the original was. Save the Activity and exit. Then start MSTS, pick Marias and Whitefish Local act as the example, and ta-da! You're in your new train pulling a new consist. ;)

So I think with those pointers in mind, it's the best way to get started with MSTS. It'll give a better grasp to understand Route Riter and Convoi et al as well later on. And if one doesn't want to get THAT specific and detailed - no biggie. ;)

Yes there is an English version of Convoi. Goto Trainsim.com and search the forums for Convoi should give you the information. I had it installed prior to an HD crash but about the time I got the drive back on line Route Riter came out with their consist editor and I stayed with that.

As for the MSTS Activity editor, while it does the job just fine I had to find a tutorial to find out how to get into the consist editor portion of it. After 7 clicks in 3 seperate areas that require you to know what to answer then it is ready for use. After you jump through all the hoops needed to get it open it works fine.

Route Riter's consist editor has a 4 page PDF file telling you how to use it correctly and after starting Route Riter it takes exactly two clicks to open the consist editor.

While Route Riter itself is an extremely powerful tool and you MUST understand what your doing or suffer the consequences it does come with a complete 22 section help file that any user needs to read and understand.

That is 3 options for a consist editor besides Combuilder which I do not have for some of the same reasons noted in this thread. I do know that people who do have Combuilder can not praise it enough.

:drinks: :oldstry:

#14 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Thanks Spud. Think I only noticed it at ASW in past, and didn't think of checking TS for it. ;)

I found the MSTS editor, though cumbersome - kinda 'logistically' laid out. And I think the key rule to 'beginners' is the great line from a Nancy Sinatra song - "Don't go messin' where you shouldn't be messin'..." So I think in Dirtydubs case, just stick to Player Service area, Edit and Consist for now. To start changing Paths, Traffic, Events - that's a WHOLE different kettle of fish I myself hate mesin' with. ;)

But Convoi is great - even better in english I imagine. Route Riter is ESSENTIAL once one get's the hang of MSTS and is committed to it. And ConBuilder I can't praise enough - though it's like A Clockwork Orange in England. Poor Brit's who appreciate and admire the movie still feel so 'dirty' when they can get a copy of it. So it's too bad CB's the same now in a way. It's definately 'a keeper' if one's lucky enough to get a version handed down to them. But much like real railroads - it's all in who you meet as you work down the line. ;)

#15 User is offline   hminky 

• Hostler

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for direction to Convoi, really works great!

So easy this Caveman can do it!

Harold

#16 User is offline   durtydubs 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Switchman

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

ok well i downloaded a steam loco but when i go to drive it on MSTS its not there???

#17 User is offline   durtydubs 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Switchman

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

so next if yo guys could tell me step by step how to add trains to MSTS that would be great too

#18 User is offline   caldrail 

• Conductor

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

I've always found that the Route-Riter consist editor produces files that MSTS can't read. Once re-saved in Conbuilder they work okay.

#19 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Open Rails

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

View Postdurtydubs, on 30 January 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

so next if yo guys could tell me step by step how to add trains to MSTS that would be great too

That is a pretty general question. We know you're new so, here's the steps you need to follow.

1. DL a model. Then unzip it.
2. Read the README file as to how to install it. (Basically, you just drop the model's folder into MSTS' TRAINSET folder.)
3. You now have to make a consist so MSTS will know you have it installed. (This process was given to you by me on page #1, post #6 and is how I have been doing it for many years with no hassles. You don't need any 3rd party consist building tools. They are unnecessary. MSTS works just fine if you follow the instructions.)
As far as MSTS is concerned, a consist can contain one single item of rolling stock or locomotive.

:oldstry:

#20 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

To expand a little on The Grindre's advice, you need to make a Consist with that locomotive to get it into the sim, the first of his two links tells you exactly how to do that: http://msts.steam4me...s/consists.html

The second Link gets into the finer points of how to make Activities (and all accoutrement) which can involve multiple consists doing different things all at once and is far more complicated then if you just want to run a single locomotive around on some track somewhere: http://msts.steam4me...html#activities

The other option provided by others here is to go download a third party program similar to Conbuilder called Convoi, and weather you get french or english, its pretty easy to use (French for create is crea`t or something, for instance, so its not like totally alien <.< ). I have the french version, and I don't speak a lick of French, and I much prefer it over MSTS Route Editor for a variety of reasons. Which can be Downloaded here: Convoi

All credit to The Grindre for the initial posting of the Steam4me links, and to Stephen Hjellum for the Convoi Link.

Edited to add: MSTS and Train Simming in general is roughly a decade old, and has had *probably* millions of users and contributors, as such theres ALOT of disorganized information out there, so the best thing you can do for yourself if you want to persue it is to start reading as much as you can, and searching forums, the internet, and places like Steam4me, to teach yourself what you need/want to know. You'll find bits of what you want all over the net, and in general its up to you, the user, to find those bits, dust em off, collect them, and then reassemble them into the whole of what you want. That said, feel free to continue posting questions here, I know Id be lost without this forum :D

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users