• Simulator:OR

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=1048
File Name: D&RGW MOW boxcar 04147
File Submitter: bpratt
File Submitted: 17 Jul 2010
File Updated: 17 Jul 2010
File Category: NG Boxcars

Like most D&RGW MOW cars, this car was converted from an unneeded 4000 series box car, and retained that number with an addition of a zero to designate non revenue service. It began it's MOW service as a bunk car, returned to revenue service from about 1921 to Aug 1925, then served as a tool car in the Salida wreck train, and ended it's service as a tool car in the Gunnison wreck train.

This car is unique in that it had two windows left of the side door on both sides, had end doors in both ends, and had a Murphy metal roof. It was the only work/box outfit car to retain the D&RG/D&RGW “button” herald throughout it's life.

This car was modeled from plans in “D&RGW NG WORK/BOX OUTFIT CARS” by Steve Swanson and Mike Horner, and most historical data is from this same publication. Howard Saunders performed file and texture tweaking, all lettering, and initial testing. Herb Kelsey performed additional testing and took the screen shot.

Enjoy

Original File Name = D&RGWMOW04147.zip

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   Loco112 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Trainz TRS 2006

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

bpratt' timpost='51409'] Replying to D&RGW MOW boxcar 04147

"Like most D&RGW MOW cars, this car was converted from an unneeded 4000 series box car, and retained that number with an addition of a zero to designate non revenue service. It began it's MOW service as a bunk car, returned to revenue service from about 1921 to Aug 1925, then served as a tool car in the Salida wreck train, and ended it's service as a tool car in the Gunnison wreck train. This car is unique in that it had two windows left of the side door on both sides, had end doors in both ends, and had a Murphy metal roof. It was the only work/box outfit car to retain the D&RG/D&RGW “button” herald throughout it's life. This car was modeled from plans in “D&RGW NG WORK/BOX OUTFIT CARS” by Steve Swanson and Mike Horner, and most historical data is from this same publication. Howard Saunders performed file and texture tweaking, all lettering, and initial testing. Herb Kelsey performed additional testing and took the screen shot".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill, do you know much about the old "Murphy outside metal roof" and their parts like thos on your 04147 file mentioned, and replied from, above?

I'm hoping to locate enough info to replicate those roof, or talk to an owner of one of the CO & NM highway side retired D&RGW box cars that we all see while touring, and try to buy one example of each part from a cooperative owner, for scanning and recreating.

Got andy ideas on this, I'd sure apprecaitte them if you do!

If I were healthy I would volenteer at the FOC&TS, but I'm too sick to get to that for a few years yet, so thats not an option, but I hope to some day. I'm sure my evenings would consist of many fast trips down to the Sante Fe Kinko's to make copies and scans!

Thanks for yor help, Daivd Bloyed - Dallas Texas.

#3 User is offline   bpratt 

• Conductor
  • Group: Fan: Narrow Gauge Nuts
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostLoco112, on 11 December 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

bpratt' timpost='51409'] Replying to D&RGW MOW boxcar 04147

"Like most D&RGW MOW cars, this car was converted from an unneeded 4000 series box car, and retained that number with an addition of a zero to designate non revenue service. It began it's MOW service as a bunk car, returned to revenue service from about 1921 to Aug 1925, then served as a tool car in the Salida wreck train, and ended it's service as a tool car in the Gunnison wreck train. This car is unique in that it had two windows left of the side door on both sides, had end doors in both ends, and had a Murphy metal roof. It was the only work/box outfit car to retain the D&RG/D&RGW “button” herald throughout it's life. This car was modeled from plans in “D&RGW NG WORK/BOX OUTFIT CARS” by Steve Swanson and Mike Horner, and most historical data is from this same publication. Howard Saunders performed file and texture tweaking, all lettering, and initial testing. Herb Kelsey performed additional testing and took the screen shot".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill, do you know much about the old "Murphy outside metal roof" and their parts like thos on your 04147 file mentioned, and replied from, above?

I'm hoping to locate enough info to replicate those roof, or talk to an owner of one of the CO & NM highway side retired D&RGW box cars that we all see while touring, and try to buy one example of each part from a cooperative owner, for scanning and recreating.

Got andy ideas on this, I'd sure apprecaitte them if you do!

If I were healthy I would volenteer at the FOC&TS, but I'm too sick to get to that for a few years yet, so thats not an option, but I hope to some day. I'm sure my evenings would consist of many fast trips down to the Sante Fe Kinko's to make copies and scans!

Thanks for yor help, Daivd Bloyed - Dallas Texas.

David,
I just discovered your inquiry, or would have replied sooner. Afraid I am not an expert on Murphy roofs, but will try to help with what little I do know.

Basically there are two types of outside metal roofs. The D&RGW NG WORK/BOX OUTFIT CARS book by Swanson and Horner list them as Corrugated and Plain Murphy roofs. The corrugated roofs have Aprox. 4" x 1" ribs covering the metal panel joints, and the plain have an overlapping "V joint" between between each panel with small metal clips holding down the edges.

The corrugated roofs are newer and on all of the 3000 series box cars, and on some of the 4000 series, where the plain roofs are on many of the older 4000 series cars. Some older 4000 series cars don't have any metal on their roofs and had "tarred" roofs. My 04147 model has the newer corrugated type roof.

I don't know if this was of any help or not. If you can give me a better idea of what you need I will try to to be of more help. I can get you dimensions of and take pictures of uninstalled corrugated roof parts, and can send a few pictures of a plain roof if that will be of any help.

Too bad you can't volunteer to work on the C&T. I have been working there two weeks a year for 15 years now, and am presently a team leader rebuilding a drop bottom Gon at Antonito.

If you would like to continue this feel free to reply at billpratt15@gmail.com because it is more convenient and will allow me to send pictures.

Hope this helped some, Bill

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users