Elvas Tower: New locomotive Project OR K37 - Elvas Tower

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New locomotive Project OR K37 The fabulous K37; or the prince in frogs togs. Rate Topic: -----

#21 Inactive_wpfan_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

The mock-up idea is a good one that I wish I had done with the K4. I put a lot of detail into the "bottom half" of the locomotive. I'm thinking about making a quick export into the sim, even if as a scenery object so I don't have to fool with other stuff, so I can see what's going to be invisible. I'm afraid I may have put in a number of details that will not be readily visible from sim cameras. I spent a large amount of time on this stuff, but until we have the inspection pit camera, what good will it be. I did simplify the trailing truck after I realized that so much of the time spent on engine truck would be for naught. As you can see I haven't gone through and deleted hidden faces on the bottom yet. When I was getting ready to do the brake cylinders, again I realized they probably wouldn't been seen. It all looked so good before I was hanging all the appliances and rods from it. I'll have to try the mock-up idea before I start the hippo.
Attached Image: 4-14-10_5.jpg

#22 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Wow, that's a mass of great detail work! You can test it in OR by making a special copy of the source files, then select the whole model and apply a single texture such as a medium gray as a planar texture, you'll lose the nice shading effect, but it would allow testing in the sim. Working on a copy means you don't affect the original or its backups.

You really don't get an idea of what the overall effect will be until you start adding the detail.

Cheers Bazza

#23 Inactive_wpfan_*

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

I've been checking the open rails page on a weekly basis since I first learned of it January waiting to see when downloads will be enabled again. I've been talking to Ricksan so I know work is going forward on it. I really can't wait to check it out and see what can be done. I even went and installed MSTS on my new system in anticipation. The only problem I face now is the 16bit demex installer will not install onto 64bit systems. I read about how it can be transfered over from another computer, but that requires a 32 bit system laying around somewhere, not to mention having the old email with the password in it. I'd be willing to buy yet another (this would be 3rd) licensed copy if there was even a contact address. So for now I'm stuck, maybe Wayne, Rick and the guys will write a terrain importing feature. Better yet maybe I'll polish up my C# some more and try to write a terrain importer.

#24 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

That's what OR is about, a mutual help project. The concept is exciting but no doubt there will be pitfalls and a whole lot of learning required.

Cheers Bazza

#25 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

I had to fix some rivets, so I deleted the previous render. The rivet heads are probably a bit too big in diameter......but.....it will do until it really annoys me and I change it.

Attached Image: K37_OR_smokbox3.jpg

Cheers Bazza

#26 Inactive_wpfan_*

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

I thought I put a lot of detail in but.....

Is that the kind of poly counts we'll be able to see in OR, if so that'll be awesome. Not too mention even more time consuming. Still it'll be nice to model things like pipe unions, tees, and elbows. If that's what can be done, I can think of a lot of things I'd like to be able do besides proper pipe fittings.

#27 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

I tend to push the envelope when modelling, and if any sim is going to cope with poly crunchers it will be Open Rails. Whether that will require even more powerful computers and video cards - I'm looking ahead a year or two, then sobeit. Meanwhile, I'm having fun.

Probably, in reality, a lot of rivets will be 2d with a 3d looking texture.

This locomotive plan is the first I've seen with the transverse suspension arms shown. More detail, sigh.

Cheers Bazza

#28 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:26 AM

The hi-poly smokebox of the K37 has been successfully grafted onto the K27 and apart from the lack of proper texture and shadows, OR accepted the extra polys without a hitch. The K27 is now hitting on 55 thousand polys in a single LOD without a hitch.

Cheers Bazza

#29 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

55,000!!! My gawd! Is this OR really capable of this fine detail? WOW!
Maybe I'll just keep piling on the details to my Shays until they crash MSTS. (I've done that already, really.)

#30 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

My dear Arcadian friend, welcome to the Dark Side of Modelling.......The Force is within you. What crashes in MSTS may run in Open Rails.

Cheers Daft Bazza

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users