Elvas Tower: New locomotive Project OR K37 - Elvas Tower

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New locomotive Project OR K37 The fabulous K37; or the prince in frogs togs. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Received the K37 loco and tender plans today. Looks do-able for OR. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/goodnight.gif

Cheers Bazza

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

The plans I have are unusual in what they show/cover and the inclusion of prototype drawings. Measurements are given for objects that are not usually so detailed on model plans.

I have a book on order from Karen's Books, it's about the K37 and should provide information not readily apparent from drawings or old photos - however, ANY photos are always well perused for details.

I still haven't chosen a particular road number......so I'll treat the model as 'generic K37' in the meantime. Continuing my tradition of assigning weird names to locomotives, I've given it the nick-name of The Frog Prince.

Coming next is a rundown of some of the resources and stages of construction I anticpate doing during the project. It's not a full list and things may get switched around in the schedule as progress and necessity dictates.

Here's the tentive schedule.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Subject to change:

1) Assemble resources, such as plans, books, magazine articles and note links to sites with additional useful information. <--- doing this now and progressively adding.
1a) Includes laminating relevant plans - A3 size progessionally and A4 I'll do.

2) Build a simple mockup - a step that's new for me - which will give me a feel for what's placed where and the overall setup of the lokey.

3) Make the wheelsets, for bogies/trucks and main drivers w/ counterweights. Main drivers are 44in diameter. They are located inside the frames.

4) Make the fool frameset (chassis) with attached fittings, excluding steam chest/cylinders, including suspension and fittings; including front/rear bogies n fittings.

5) Make the brake rigging and fittings.

6) Make the steam chest and cylinders, including the crosshead guides if not already done.

7) Think about and then make the textures for the above.

To come, boiler/smokebox/stack/domes/genny/lights/cab/WHP/pipework, etc and textures for same.

This time I'm resolved to make a fully working 'bottom half' first.

Cheers Bazza

#4 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

Here is the Wikipedia entry for the K37, which has a particularly interesting history, read on......note the specs in the far right column.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/D&RGW_K-37

Cheers Bazza

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

I had two of the plans copied and laminated, with another A3 to be done next week and some A4s, too.

Perusing the plans I note there is a lot of external detail compared to the K27, perhaps as much as a third more and mostly fine detail, too. Some of the very fine pipelines may have to be smoothed four sided rather than my now prefered 8 sided poly. The cab is all metal sheathed and on either side there's a door, with a cutout section for part of the side window.....does anyone know what that's for?

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:32 AM

I setup some temporary templates and have made the bogie and driver wheelsets, including the outside countweights, which are huge.

Cheers Bazza

#7 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Unusually for such complete (well, relatively) plansets, there is no side view of the counterweight, only an endview. Likewise, no indication of the number of spokes, so I've settled (on advice) for ten spokes. There is no indication of countweights moulded on the drivers themselves, only the outboard counterweights, so that's how I'm modelling the driverset....Spokes are problematic, with far too many polys and I've already simplified the number of polys once....with the wheels being mostly unseen I may revisit the spoke issue and simplify the poly profile even further. It's easier to think early on about this, and do what's necessary now, rather than later.

Today's tasks:

1) Rethink the spokes profile.
2) Double-check the spacings of the driversets centers.
3) Scan the frame detail, attach .BMP to rectangle shape and use as a guide for constructing the frames and fittings. Noting the frame splays out under the cab area, also noting the lines on drawing as a guide.
4) Add frames fittings and perhaps suspension, also nuts n bolts as shown on plan.

Artwork:

Plan whether to use 2048 or 4096 (single) texture. (Seek advice on use of latter.)
First artwork will be for wheelsets, frames and fittings.

Cheers Bazza

#8 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

Here is the first tentative render, showing the bogie and driver wheelsets. Note the countweights have yet to be adjusted outwards from the centerline. The spokes are version four and much closer to the prototype profile. The counterweights are Mk2 and look better for it.....thanks to Hadrians' advice.

The render is captioned and is self-explanatory.

Attached Image: OR-K37Test-wheelsets.jpg

Cheers Bazza

#9 User is offline   bpratt 

• Conductor
  • Group: Fan: Narrow Gauge Nuts
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 19 March 2010 - 04:15 PM, said:

I had two of the plans copied and laminated, with another A3 to be done next week and some A4s, too.

Perusing the plans I note there is a lot of external detail compared to the K27, perhaps as much as a third more and mostly fine detail, too. Some of the very fine pipelines may have to be smoothed four sided rather than my now prefered 8 sided poly. The cab is all metal sheathed and on either side there's a door, with a cutout section for part of the side window.....does anyone know what that's for?

Cheers Bazza

I believe it is access for firebox staybolt replacement. Herb?

Bill

#10 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Right you are, Bill. Those are so you can replace or repair staybolts without having to remove the cab. Very handy!

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users