Elvas Tower: [OR] Help me, please.... - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[OR] Help me, please.... Some additional information that may prove useful Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

Although there are some comprehensive help docs in development, here are some useful 'HELP' topics that may not be covered yet in the official Open Rails documents. Stuff mostly learned through trial and error. The HELP situation is bound to be fluid, due to the continuing development nature of the Open Rails project. .

Meanwhile.....

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Upon selecting and loading a MSTS route activity OR generates an error message saying it cannot read or find the activity description...

When in the MSTS 1 Activity Editor setting up the activity, you must include text in the Activity Brief and Activity Description windows - the two windows require some text, such as the name of the activity, failure to do this will result in OR giving an error message and the activity will not load further.

[Info current 5 Mar 2010]

Cheers Bazza

Attached Image: OR-K27Test1-desc.jpg

...and;

Attached Image: OR-K27Test1-brief.jpg

[Update 8 March]

See below, post #7.

This post has been edited by captain_bazza: 07 March 2010 - 03:43 PM
Reason for edit:: Update.

#3 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:12 AM

Capt.

Thanks for this information. It enabled me to set up a shot in OR last night of something
other than the default equipment. You were a big help.

Allen :sign_oops:

#4 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 05 March 2010 - 07:24 PM, said:

Upon selecting and loading a MSTS route activity OR generates an error message saying it cannot read or find the activity description...

When in the MSTS 1 Activity Editor setting up the activity, you must include text in the Activity Brief and Activity Description windows - the two windows require some text, such as the name of the activity, failure to do this will result in OR giving an error message and the activity will not load further.

[Info current 5 Mar 2010]

Cheers Bazza

Bazza,
This is no different than MSTS requirements - if you create any kind of activity, there must be some text in the Activity Brief and Activity Description windows. See "How To" over at TS.com http://www.trainsim....ty/activity.htm
chrisvw

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

You are partially correct, Chris. Let me explain - ever since I made my first consist for MSTS in the AE, I've never filled those two panels in, yet the (simple) activity did work. But, when saving the activity a brief (unexplained) error message flashed up, I just ignored it and the saved activity worked okay in the sim.

(The type of activity I make is merely to assemble a consist for testing a locomotive, or stock, in the sim. I've never made a more complex activity, which is why it may have worked okay. In fact over the years I've only ever run ONE activity involving doing things to a timetable and with AI trains. The irony is that MSTS can be forgiving in some aspects, but very unforgiving in other situations.)

In the early days, there was no documentation with instructions about how to setup an activity. Typical of Kuju at the time, leav'em guessing. I'd always assumed those two panels were unimportant, because my 'simplistic activity' worked for me, everytime. However, OR does require both panels filled in......and some other users may be unaware of the importance of them to get even a simple test consist setup running in OR.

Thanks for the headsup, Chris. It was my intention to flag (in the FAQ entry) the original reason why I got caught out now.

Open Rails will be carrying a bit of MSTS baggage for some time yet. The old sim did some things okay, but is also a moot lesson on how not to do other things. Rail Simulator and Railworks are no different, either. Some of the most valid lessons are learned by past mistakes........except if you're in the political game and it's the poor old tax payer carrying the bill. ;-)

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

Allen, thanks, glad to have been of assistance.

Cheers Bazza

#7 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 07 March 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

You are partially correct, Chris. Let me explain - ever since I made my first consist for MSTS in the AE, I've never filled those two panels in, yet the (simple) activity did work. But, when saving the activity a brief (unexplained) error message flashed up, I just ignored it and the saved activity worked okay in the sim.

Thanks for the headsup, Chris. It was my intention to flag (in the FAQ entry) the original reason why I got caught out now.

Cheers Bazza

Bazza,
Just wanted to make sure you understood where this came from - it's not a OR introduced thing. If you try to save without text in those dialog boxes in MSTS AE, you will get a pop up message "The activity is not complete ...". If you cancel out of two dialog boxes you can save the activity. Right now, OR doesn't offer that option.
chrisvw

#8 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Understood Chris; pity it's taken me 9 years to find that out.....the old sim can still surprise (me, that is).

Cheers Bazza

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

Some useful links to help modelers.

http://www.luminous-...esolution.shtml <---Understand resolution, thanks Marc.

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

Another tip:

When testing the OR K27 in v0101, I found variations in the FPS if there were other open windows (other programs running) in the background. I guess OR makes good use of all resources, so if you don't need (the) other programs running, then shut-em-down --- but don't compromise your system's security.

(Further clarifcation required?)

Cheers Bazza

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users