Elvas Tower: Test running the K27 in OR - Elvas Tower

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Test running the K27 in OR Some observations from modeler's perspective. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

Attached Image: OR-K27Test1.jpg

I now have beta 022 running, thank you. Two important points:

Point #1:
I finally figured out why I could't get the K27 running last time.....it's all down to two small things I didn't do when setting up the activity (you don't need them specifically in TS for a simple explore type activity) I left the Activity Description and Activity Brief windows blank, in other words I didn't put any text in them. Big mistake and that provokes an error and failure to load in OR. So I just put the same info in each window - the name of the activity is enough to keep OR happy.....once done and saved.....voila! the K27 was in the sim at last!

Visually, as good as it gets, the holy grail, even. No sign of missing or culled polys....yahooo, modeler's bliss.

The particular locomotive was actually a MSTS adaption of the OR version of the K27, with very high detail, and two passes through Shape Fix. It won't work in MSTS, but works fine in OR, a very good sign.

Point #2:
Very important!!!
The animation playback rate is not being read from the data inside the shape file - I rate this more important that more smoke and steamFX, and that's saying something. Well, it's a vital function.

Although the animation speed is not being read (correctly), the animation is otherwise fine and so is ((BM)).

Cheers n thanks
Bazza

#2 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

Sweet!

So do you think it will take alot of work to convert other models you've done into OR? Was it alot of work to get this one running, or was it just plug & play (After the Activity description/name errors)? OR just wouldn't be right in claiming MSTS Backward compatibility without all the Bazza Mikes :sign_rockon:.

Thanks,
Alex

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:53 AM

Alex, although I've only tested a special edition of the K27 (hi poly MSTS version), there is no reason why the other (earlier) locomotives shouldn't work as well. I have yet to test the OR version, which is basically the same anyway, so don't expect any problems.

Of course for OR I'd prefer to upgrade the pipework to all 3d and add extra polys where warranted, otherwise a loco should work off the shelf. The tenders don't need touching except where I'm real fussy and want to upgrade some detailing...

I do believe it is now viable to do a hi-detail K36, with all knobs, bells and whistles, plus good pipework.

Modeler's aspect Pro's and Con's @ version 022.

Pro's
+Pipework - no sign of culled polygons. (Very exciting for me.)
+Sharp detail both 3d shapes and 2d art. (Means more care and attention to detail and quality of the artwork.)
+Hi-polys feasible. (Means greater poly shapes can be added to improve small details.)

Con's (this reflects the reality of an early beta, thus should only be regarded as comments and not criticism.)
-Partial physics and controls working.
-Animation speed not being read from the shape playback data (Data line in the shape file.)
-No smoke or steamFX. (This will be a most anticipated and exciting advance when it arrives.)

=Overall look of the model is excellent - but would tweaking of the underlying material brightness help lighten up the model? (It has no effect in MSTS.)

Cheers Bazza

#4 User is offline   bpratt 

• Conductor
  • Group: Fan: Narrow Gauge Nuts
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hey Capt,
Very, very encouraging. If I may ask, how many polys does your hi-detail K-27 have?

Bill

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hi'ya Bill, the difference is 4,610 polys. (Single LOD models.) Outwardly, not much difference, but it's a difference that pleases me. Heh, heh.

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 02 March 2010 - 01:53 AM, said:

Pro's
+Pipework - no sign of culled polygons. (Very exciting for me.)
Cheers Bazza

Hope your doing multiple LOD's. All those extra polys will display but they're not entirely free of cost.

#7 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:50 AM

Hmmm, single LOD models I've not found a particular problem in the past with MSTS....even when using 2048x2048 textures.

But I have found easiest method for making a lower poly LOD, is merely to lose all detail that doesn't show at a distance. A loco such as the K27 could lose a lot of small details, such as brake rigging, pipework, etc. If pushed, lower and more simplified objects for the stack, domes, air res and WHP, could be used.

However, with most of my driving experience centered around the loco anyway, multi-LODs didn't seem worth the extra effort. I guess if it was required I could do it. Thanks for the reminder.

I should imagine the sim has load the extra data for each LOD and then switch back n forth as per the POV distance.

Cheers Bazza

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

I dont tend to bother using LODs and strip them out of most models I use. Cant say it makes the game run any slower for that. What does make it run slower is lots of high density scenery in the viewsphere.

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

This is the K27 OR version 2.6. Has some fixed pipework and additional pipework. No pass through SF and it works fine after initial conversion.

Cheers Bazza

PS I'll upload this soon.

Attached Image: OR-K27TestV2dot6.jpg

38,639 polys, single LOD.

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:03 AM

Sorry, I'm holding off on the K27 meantime, pending some more work. So far, 40,200 polys, no passes through SF and all is okay. WOW! I could probably use another 800 and bring it up to 41,000. Now version B2.7
Attached Image: OR-K27TestV2dot7.jpg
Cheers Bazza

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users