Elvas Tower: The Anthracite Project - Elvas Tower

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Anthracite Project The Largest Undertaking by Fallen Flag Shops yet Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_trainsimer101_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

The Anthracite Project was started back in December of 2009 with the intention of revitalizing the Lehigh V2 Route. Route progress is slow but it is coming along. The other half of the project was to include prototype specific locomotives and rollingstock, along with many repaints to get a wide variety to play with. If you are a member of the Train-Sim.com forums, you know exactly what has been shown to the public so far, including vast numbers of brandnew EMD switchers, as well as BLW PA-1s, FA/B-1s and RDCs, not to mention the countless number of repaints in the works by me and Nick Ozorak.

Yesterday I was looking through a book of mine, I'm sure most of you have heard of it "Only Yesterday on the Lehigh & New England Railroad." Now this book is massively populated by photos of the steam era. And I got to thinking, what is the LNE without their large coal drags being hauled by HUGE panting beasts of steam. Problem is, none of my guys build steamers. Byron Ashlock with my diesel/rollingstock guy, Nick Ozorak is on activities and weathering, and Rick is providing a follow up pack for the project to include a multitude of needed rollingstock :sign_thanks:.

I know there are some good steam builders on a few boards so I've come here to ask if anyone would wish to get involved. I am in need of LNE/LV/CNJ/N&B Steamers, more or less LNE, If I remember correctly LV stopped steam in 1951, LNE in 1955, CNJ I'm not sure, and the N&B Dieselized even earlier then the rest of them.

So Is there anyone out there willing to take on the challenge?

Nate

#2 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Nate

What yer doing over here? Are yer trying to wake up us old gents? Steam lokey's eh! Is that those old
round thing's with thaw crankety motion on the side and some monkey motion up front or rear depending
on which railroad yer on. What shapes and sizes wouldya be looking fer young feller? Takes a might a
while longer to build a steam lokey than one of dem dere box on wheels. Eh Nate?

Oh! Gotta go. The meals on wheels is here.

Allen

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Hi Allen,

:curiousPC:
You mean they actually have engines that run on steam ???

Nate posted over at TS too...
Seriously - I just leaned something new from Baldwin - they actually had connecting rods on tenders ???
Honestly - never heard of such a thing before...

The picture certainly has me intrigued...

Has anyone EVER seen any plans/drawings for said locomotive ???

Attached File  lne401s.jpg (136.74K)
Number of downloads: 20

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

Scott,
Here's one of the class that's even stranger - I have no idea what the two different sized stacks are for :curiousPC:
The fireboxes also seem to be a little wider than normal - perhaps it was the coal from home mines?

Attached File  lne403s.jpg (88.46K)
Number of downloads: 35

chrisvw

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi Chris,

LOL - yeah - it's not some weird home grown feedwater heater - right ???
It definitely looks like two stacks...

I guess it would need to be modeled as two engines - fer sure - to get that tender connecting rod to work...

Without a good set of plans - I can't model it...
I'm definitely a connect the dots modeler using a scale drawing as the backdrop...
It sure is purty though...

Regards,
Scott

#6 Inactive_trainsimer101_*

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

As much as i can remember all of the 2-10-0s; Class F-1, were equipped with The Bethlehem Tender Booster, if I'm not mistaken they burned Anthracite, according to alot of references these could out pull Pennsy's I1a's!!!

Heres a near broadside, just have turn the picture a few degrees, unfortunately this photographer cut off the rear of the tender o.o

http://www.northeast...ges/lne402s.jpg

As for the second stack, it appears that only 403 & 404 had it. However, I'm not so sure its a stack:

http://www.northeast...ges/lne404s.jpg

A closer look at the 404 looks like this "Stack" has a cap so I'm thinking its a small dome or something, used for what, not the slightest clue

Another broadside

http://abpr.railfan....04/l+ne401b.jpg

Still no luck on drawings, I'm gonna keep trying though!

EDIT: If we can't find plans soon, I can always requisition a visit to my old drafting class and take the broadside photos i sent you and attempt to make the plans using AutoCAD. I'll at least be able to get you an engineer's side plan, from that maybe i can go into Inventor and making a 3D object (locomotive) and print out the plans that way, unfortunately, Inventor is nothing like TSM or 3DS Max, so anything i make in inventor, will only come out on paper, but at least then i have plans for you to use :curiousPC:.

Nate

#7 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:54 AM

Hi Nate,

Sounds promising... Let me do a little research - sometimes the Historical Societies or fan sites can be VERY helpful... Maybe those PENNSY boys over at BLLW might offer some insight... My Dad also kept his MR magazines starting somewhere around 1960... I don't recall ever seeing drawings for this specific locomotive - though...

I'm interested in the project - as I think I found my Steam niche - the Anthracite roads... It helps that I grew up in Goshen NY which was very close to the center of many key North East railroads... The LNE actually ran through the village - although that was well before my time - of course...

I'm only on my second 3D model so I am still learning...

If we are unable to locate suitable scale drawings - we would need a substantial amount of accurate dimensional data... The smokebox - boiler - firebox would need many measurments to get the shape right... I can't just look a a picture and swag all this - as my interest lies in creating a scale model as true to the original prototype as possible...

I still need to finish my L&HR Mountain - so this is on the back burner for me...

Please let me know what you find and I'll do the same...

Regards,
Scott

#8 Inactive_trainsimer101_*

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

well, heres the cool part about AutoCad and Inventor, I can import the broadside i sent you, and take the dimensional info from steamlocomotive.com or whatever it was. which was the length. And use that to stretch the picture to 1:1 scale in autocad, then from there i can draw an accurate broadside with full detail in Autocad and dimension it. then i can create the other views as well. Hmmm, time for me to download the AutoCad 08 Demo onto my computer, 09-10 stink :curiousPC:, so i use 08.

If you can find plans, GREAT, if not, I'll see what i can do over here. As for your mountain, keep it going, I'm still drooling over that thing, i can't wait to get my hands on that throttle :furiousPC:!

Nate

#9 Inactive_trainsimer101_*

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

As we wind down to 5 DAYS REMAINING. I would like to say it has been a joy and a challenge working on this project. The Anthracite Project; 1st Release is set for July 23rd 2010. Here is the Trailer:

I hope everyone enjoys this project as much as I have!

Enjoy!

Nate

#10 Inactive_sp4449_*

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

I got the route early today and its great! I only had time to run a few miles of it, and I couldn't really tell the difference (other than the trackage) from the old one. What all was done to the route? Also, the readme mentions a rolling stock pack, but I can't seem to locate it. Is it not released yet?
Thank you,
Sam

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users